PDA

View Full Version : Battery cranking amps

Brent I
11-04-2005, 10:35 AM
hello everybody, I need new batteries and was wondering what cold crank I should get. It has 2
750's in it now, I was thinking of 2 1000 cca.
Any advice?

Thanks

Lil' Dog
11-04-2005, 10:47 AM
There is one problem with the 1000 CCA batteries that are small enough to fit in the spots on the trucks. That is that to get 1000 CCA they have more plates inside the battery to get that juice. Problem is vibration on our rigs is far more than a gas jobber, so after a while the plates will vibrate and eventually touch. When they start to touch you begin to drop CCA's. Eventually you are down to 1/2 the CCA's and paid more for the battery.

If you can hog out your battery trays and get industrial 1000CCA batteries that you can buy at Freightliner for eg. then I would do it. But other than that get a good qaulity 750-800 CCA battery that is vibration resistant if possible.

Hosser
11-04-2005, 11:37 AM
I run Twin Optima red tops in my 2000. They are both 1150 CCA and I have never once had a problem. They do not use plates inside the battery they use rolled glass and cotton. Its a very odd design but they are super tough little batteries.

The 1150 CCA is smaller then the 750 CCA you have in your truck right now and it will not drop its charge hardly at all in the cold weather.

Also if you are going to use your truck as a generator for your trailer get the yellow top batteries they are deep cycle batteries. You will not be sorry with thoes batteries.

They run about $140 each and will last over 5 years trouble free.

Lil' Dog
11-04-2005, 11:39 AM
The Optimas are a different beast for sure.. Good batteries...

Thanks Hossman..

MAXTORQ
11-04-2005, 03:19 PM
If anybody cares do a search in the 3rd Gen for Optima battery and read my posts . /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Bramhabull
11-04-2005, 08:58 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Lil' Dog:
There is one problem with the 1000 CCA batteries that are small enough to fit in the spots on the trucks. That is that to get 1000 CCA they have more plates inside the battery to get that juice. Problem is vibration on our rigs is far more than a gas jobber, so after a while the plates will vibrate and eventually touch. When they start to touch you begin to drop CCA's. Eventually you are down to 1/2 the CCA's and paid more for the battery.

If you can hog out your battery trays and get industrial 1000CCA batteries that you can buy at Freightliner for eg. then I would do it. But other than that get a good qaulity 750-800 CCA battery that is vibration resistant if possible. </div></div>Not exactly right. Some Commercial batteries have plates that are secured on the bottom of the battery and have internal grids as well. They are quite vibration resistant, but on the downside they arent sealed like an optima and can leak.

Ive got a set of these...about $75 bucks each:

http://www.eastpenn-deka.com/products/pdfs/epm0182.pdf

Mine are Group 31 Commercials. You will have to modify the battery trays and may have to install slightly longer cables.

Bramhabull
11-04-2005, 09:05 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Hoss Man:
I run Twin Optima red tops in my 2000. They are both 1150 CCA and I have never once had a problem. They do not use plates inside the battery they use rolled glass and cotton. Its a very odd design but they are super tough little batteries.

The 1150 CCA is smaller then the 750 CCA you have in your truck right now and it will not drop its charge hardly at all in the cold weather.

Also if you are going to use your truck as a generator for your trailer get the yellow top batteries they are deep cycle batteries. You will not be sorry with thoes batteries.

They run about $140 each and will last over 5 years trouble free. </div></div>In the interest of complete correctness Hoss Man, the biggest Optima Red Top available is the Group 34/78, which is 800 cca and 1000 ca @ 32 degrees. There are NO Optimas that deliver 1050 cold cranking amps:

http://www.optimabatteries.com/publish/o...ical_specs.html (http://www.optimabatteries.com/publish/optima/americas0/en/config/product_info/automotive/starter/technical_specs.html)

An excellent battery nonetheless...I would have went that route, but the reserve isnt enough with the temps I see and the ESPAR heater sucks a lot of juice.

Brent I
11-05-2005, 08:28 PM
thanks for the replys, I got 2875 cca factory secondsfrom the Deka plant for 40 a piece(since i'm kinda money restricted right now) and they work good

Hosser
11-05-2005, 08:45 PM
These batteries are 3 years old. I will have to get the model number for you. I am not sure why they would have gotten rid of them.

Bramhabull
11-06-2005, 01:01 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Hoss Man:
These batteries are 3 years old. I will have to get the model number for you. I am not sure why they would have gotten rid of them. </div></div>Nothing has changed with Optimas in the last 3 years. They have the aame cranking amps (CA), same cold cranking amps (CCA) as 3 years ago.

Bramhabull
11-06-2005, 01:04 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by duramx4snax:
thanks for the replys, I got 2875 cca factory secondsfrom the Deka plant for 40 a piece(since i'm kinda money restricted right now) and they work good </div></div>2875 cca - not possible...

MAXTORQ
11-06-2005, 03:25 PM
Think he meant,2ea 875cca Batteries. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Brent I
11-06-2005, 03:33 PM
yeah, sorry, 2 875 cca batteries

Lil' Dog
11-07-2005, 10:29 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Bramhabull:
Not exactly right. Some Commercial batteries have plates that are secured on the bottom of the battery and have internal grids as well. They are quite vibration resistant, but on the downside they arent sealed like an optima and can leak.

Ive got a set of these...about $75 bucks each:

http://www.eastpenn-deka.com/products/pdfs/epm0182.pdf

Mine are Group 31 Commercials. You will have to modify the battery trays and may have to install slightly longer cables. </div></div>Thats what I was illuding to with the industrial 1000 CCA's.. I had two of them in my 93 rig. Both were rated for 1050 CCA so I had alot of juice. Like you say they are much larger than the stockers.

What I was wanting guys to avoid are the run of the mill 1000 CCA batteries from the Ukranian Spoke and Wheel... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif