PDA

View Full Version : pennzoil oil and filters, any good?

Tim Tomson
02-05-2006, 11:43 AM
Hello I am a new member. I have always used pennzoil products in all my gas stuff, but i am new to diesels. I have 2500 miles on my truck and wanted to get the break in oil out. Can I run pennzoil or should I go with something else. The truck is awesome.

Ram610
02-05-2006, 12:14 PM
Are you out there HERB? You'll here alot of differing ideas on this issue for this site. Some oils will smell like hell (rotilla) some oils cost a small fortune. I personally run Amsoil in my ride but before I switched I just ran Valvoline extreme blue, it’s recommended by Cummins. I think I changed over to Amsoil at 15000 miles. It's really up to you, I haven't heard to much about Pennzoil here on the site. Welcome to the forum, where about in PA do you live? Hope this helps.ROB

Ram610
02-05-2006, 12:17 PM
OH, one more thing about filters, again it's up to you put I think most of us are running the Fleet Guard filters. You can pick these up from Geno Garage in a nice set along with fuel filters.www.genosgarage.com. You'll find these filters on most Cummins motors in the field..ROB

Tim Tomson
02-05-2006, 12:40 PM
Thanks for info. Kutztown PA.

02-05-2006, 01:21 PM
WELCOME HighSide, Kutztown, up the road from me. I would go ahead and change the break in oil. I would run conventional another 3,000 miles or so. Then decide if you want to switch to synthetic. We recommend anytime after 6,000 miles. Yes I run AMSOIL, Front to Back. To date my 2002 CTD oil is approaching close to 50,000 miles with only changing oil filters on the BMK-15 dual remote filtration system. Oil analysis results still in excellent condition. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Any question feel free to contact me.

Tim Tomson
02-05-2006, 02:01 PM
Thanks Herb thats what I will do. I checked your website out very informative.

avgjoe
02-05-2006, 04:11 PM
What about Baldwin filters? I have to order Fleetguards, but I can get Baldwins local and for a lot less.

02-05-2006, 05:03 PM
Baldwin oil filters are a good choice if you can get them local, nothing wrong with them. But if you want a excellent oil filter I would recommend the Donaldson Endurance. Expensive, maybe. But you won't find another oil filter with the media technology and recommended 25,000 mile /1yr. drain interval than Donaldson. But you have to order them. These trucks cost alot of money, I look at it as they deserve the best. Plus the number of other oil filters you go through, say 3 or 4 a year is probably going to cost you more than 1 Donaldson. JMO /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Wyatt Earp
02-05-2006, 07:18 PM
Don't know much about Baldwin filters. I'd stick with any name that makes filters for the big rigs. Fleetguard and Donaldson would be my choices. I use Fleetguard only because they are cheap and I can get them locally without special order.

Cheers

avgjoe
02-06-2006, 08:39 AM
Anybody know the Donaldson part numbers for these trucks. Or at least for the Endurance lube filter? I tried to cross reference on their website with no luck. Also, suggestions on where to buy/order them?

02-06-2006, 10:26 AM
(ELF-7349) Must be ordered through Amsoil. Let me know if I can be further assistance.

Air filter Donaldson EaA189 (2005)

PATOTAS
02-13-2006, 04:20 PM
Hi everybody !

I am very happy with my 2006, 2500 4x4 quad cab Cummins turbo diesel.
When it was 1,000 kilometers I take the truck to the dealer to change the oil because it seems to be dark.
I do not believe that… they (the dealer) do not have oil for mi Cummins because this was the first one here in Mexicali, Mexico.
It was a pain to find the oil that meet the specifications of the manual.
The oil was CITGO and the filter was FRAM.
Now, at 1,800 kilometros, the oil is little dark again and if you touch the oil with the fingers, it feels like it has little (very very little) sand. I WANT TO KNOW IF IT IS NORMAL or I need to change the oil again? The dealer said me that I need to wait the 5,000 km mark and I can not change mi self because the warranty.
I do not tow anything, only high way and little sand dunes at the beach. By the way, WWWOOOOOWWWWW, what a performance in the dunes, the truck was the king of the beach, better, much much better than a Nissan Titan .
Thanks a lot for your help.
I am sorry for mi English
Patotas.

02-13-2006, 06:13 PM
First off welcome, the color of oil does not have any bearing on whether it needs changing. Just because your oil get dark in color does not mean you need to change it, all oil's will get dark in color and black. I would change your oil and filter again, and then at 5,000 miles. No Fram.

Drop the Fram oil filter for a OEM oil filter, Mopar, fleetgaurd, or a Donaldson Endurance, there are much better oil filters than the Fram.

And there is no way they can void your warranty for changing your own oil. NO WAY. I love these Dealer tactics.

PATOTAS
02-13-2006, 09:09 PM
Thanks a lot Herb, I will follow your instructions.
You can not see my smile for the weight that you put off my shoulders.
See you.
Patotas.

brad1021
02-14-2006, 08:52 PM
One thing you might keep in mind though when changing your own oil. Keep good records of the oil bought and when changed. I ride a BMW motorcycle and there have been cases of people having warranty voided because they couldn't prove that they had ever changed the oil. So just keep good receips of the oil and filters bought.

technix
02-25-2006, 08:47 PM
I Too am new to the diesel world. I am approching 56k miles on my truck and am womdering about changing my oil. From what i read it appears that these "Donaldson" oil filters are good for what...25k miles? IS this for real? Ive owned a chevy for most of my life and always changed my oil religiously at 2,500k miles. with 6 quarts of pennzoil and a new filter. Am i reading this correctly , that you donthave to change the filter with every oil change??? So i dont know much on the history of this truck. If i start using a new oil, other than what it is currently running ( which i have no idea what that is) do i compromise the integrity of the engine life? I see there a few sides to this story such as Royal purple vs Amsoil. And if you really dont have to change the oil filter with every oil change, how long do you reccomend to keep the oil in the truck?
thanks - .

chiefforever
02-25-2006, 09:57 PM
The whole idea behind having a filter rated for 25000 miles or 1 year is that you also do extended drain intervals on your oil as well, backed up by oil analysis to make sure the oil itself is still doing its job.

02-26-2006, 08:02 AM
The Donaldson Endurance Oil filter in conjunction with Amsoil has a recommended 25,000 mile /1 yr. drain interval. "whichever comes first" (1 oil filter and 1 oil change per yr.)

If you fall into this mileage, you can either change you oil and filter at the end of the year, or you can do a oil analysis to see if it's suitable for continuous use. This is up to you.
You do not have to do a oil analysis unless you want to go past the recommended 25,000 mile/1yr. interval.

STATELINE
02-26-2006, 10:12 AM
Herb, about what is the cost of the Donaldson endurance, I get the Fleetguard for around $9.00, if the endurance is twice that, I think I would feel better changing the filter at the half way point (12.5K or 6 months), & topping off the oil.

02-26-2006, 10:25 AM
Pricing depends: Retail or wholesale. Preferred customer accounts $16.50. Otherwise the Donladson Endurance ELF-7349 Retails for $22.00 through Amsoil.

You could change at the intervaland top off, nothing wrong with that. Though the Donaldson is a recommended 25,000 mile/ 1yr oil filter.

PIGIRON
02-27-2006, 11:16 PM
I have been using "LUBERFINER" oil filters, anybody have any imput on this brand? The truck supply store usede to carry BALDWIN , but then changed to LUBERFINER.

MAXTORQ
02-28-2006, 11:40 AM
Luberfiner is a great filter to ,these are the filter my dad uses on his coach. I'd use them too if I could find a place that sells them for CTD's. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

PIGIRON
02-28-2006, 07:05 PM
Gonna have to come to Canada Max. I believe I get them for around $8 each , I also use Luberfiner fuel filters. I usually buy a case at a time.

ABN FDC
03-01-2006, 06:41 PM
Dealer put in Penzoil Multi Vehicle ATF in my 01 today. Anyone have any experiance with it? Is there anything(Snake Oil) I might add to improve the fluid?

Penzoil Multi ATF (http://www.pennzoil.com/products/trans_fluids/mv_atf.html)

Thanks,
FDC

MAXTORQ
03-04-2006, 08:14 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by FDC:
Dealer put in Penzoil Multi Vehicle ATF in my 01 today. Anyone have any experiance with it? Is there anything(Snake Oil) I might add to improve the fluid?

Penzoil Multi ATF (http://www.pennzoil.com/products/trans_fluids/mv_atf.html)

Thanks,
FDC </div></div>They put this in your tranny? Tim may have an opinion on this stuff , IMO the stuff is not very good ATF . ATF+3 or 4 is choice for the tranny. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

ABN FDC
03-04-2006, 08:53 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by MAXTORQ:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"></div></div>They put this in your tranny? Tim may have an opinion on this stuff , IMO the stuff is not very good ATF . ATF+3 or 4 is choice for the tranny. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif </div></div>Yeah, that was one of the main reasons I had the dealer do it. I figured they would put the right fluid in. So far everthing is good, but I am defiantely not a fan of the "one size fits all" fluids.
I'm trying to get everything freshened up, since it sat all last year, and I have to move from NC to LA next month.
FDC

Texcowboy9
03-05-2006, 11:16 AM
Pennzoil filters are made by FRAM!!!