PDA

View Full Version : broken belts in a tire?

melmount
08-25-2009, 09:26 PM
How does someone determine if a belt has broken in a tire? i rotated one from the front to back and man it drives quieter now?(my wifes truck) dont know if its ok to just let put it on the back and let it flatten itself out(maybe a cupping issue, not belts)? its a dually 4wd if it matters.

Chris H.
08-25-2009, 10:07 PM
It may just be a balancing issue. When you say "quiets out" I am assuming you are talking about vibrations. Is this issue at low speed, medium or high speeds?
Even if you just had the tires balanced, do them again. The tire store that did my balancing on the Audi only got them balance the first time once out of many trips back there...one time it was 3 balances in one day.

Now it isn't uncommon to have a broken tire chord. I would take the tire in question out (if know) and put the spare tire on and see how it feels. You can also rotate your spare around the back axle until you find the unbalanced tire.

melmount
08-26-2009, 05:37 AM
i am having no vibrations, just lots of noise like bad wheel bearings. I took the front tire in question and moved it to back and now its a lot quieter. I dont know why it would be a noisy tire? Its got some wear on the inside, and a bit of cupping. But it loud on the front. Is it safe to leave it on the back? I assume noise is a belt issue. I had an suv with bad tires, loud real loud. Bought michelins, still loud like wheel bearings. Turned out one of the michelins had a broken belt. Once fixed it was quiet. I never did understand how to tell if its broken. I have six tires, Ones new(asssume good) 5 used.
One i know makes noise.

pappasmerf
08-26-2009, 06:12 AM
take the tire that was on the front and spin it in the air on the rear or front axel and put your hand on top of the tire u should feel or see impacts or rises in the tire thats ur issue if its a broken belt in the tire i have delt with this many times before with my old job being a tire tech and discount tire co.