DieselRam.com

DieselRam.com (http://www.dieselram.com/forum.php)
-   On The Side (http://www.dieselram.com/forumdisplay.php?f=355)
-   -   Diverticulitis (http://www.dieselram.com/showthread.php?t=202441)

cougar 05-03-2014 11:45 AM

Diverticulitis

What a pain. Just spent the last 5 days in the hospital, 2 in the ICU. If you don't know what it is, it's when your large intestinal wall weakens causing small holes that create external balloons on the outside. These balloons can get infected and rupture as in my case causing bowl leakage into the abdominal cavity.
I had 3 leakers and a massive infection. I had no pre symptoms which is very unusual. Monday morning I was fine, by Monday noon I was in trouble. They put me on antibiotics and constant monitoring. After a couple days my condition was improved enough to take me out of the ICU. On the 5th day they let me go home. Dr says I'm still not out of the woods yet and wants weekly follow ups for a while. This could have turned into something really bad. A colostomy at minimum, dead at worst.
In short, take care of yourself. Watch what you eat, lay off the spicy gassy stuff. And have regular inspections, including a :eek: borescope.

pullinforme 05-03-2014 12:41 PM

had that myself once upon a time but mine just bled internally (popcorn seeds) feel for you though just got back from ER yesterday 3-4 hours for acid reflux got the ole GI medicine and at 54 of course they want to rule out the ticker

cougar 05-03-2014 02:34 PM

I hear ya. My odometer is about to trip over to 58. I think my ticker is the only left that works right. Also being 100lbs over normal empty weight isn't helping me. Just walked out to the mail box, by the time I got back my hips were killing me. I'm hoping it's the drugs they had me on, had it happen once before.
Take it easy and heal up soon.

anoldbiker 05-03-2014 05:11 PM

Sorry to hear this cougar. Our health, mental and physical is delicate for humans. We're weaker than what we believe. Never had this but did have 2 rotor rooters done to the main veins to my heart. Found out what you eat and weight means a lot. Boy I hated to change. Love those greasy burgers and hot peppers.

Hope for full recovery.

jetfueljockey 05-04-2014 08:54 AM

Get better soon coug.....soon be 54 here, finding out I'm no longer bullet proof

cougar 05-04-2014 10:50 AM

I'd just like to know when I got "old".
Your family history seems play a big part I'm told. If that's true, I'm in big trouble.

ccmckee 05-04-2014 04:48 PM

Get better Cougar. I had my first borescope in February, all was good no polops or pockets so i get to go back in 10 years.No history of issues from that end in my family the heart is what kills the mckee 's i think i got more of my mom's side luckily.

Clunk 05-04-2014 09:05 PM

Get well soon Cougar. I got bore scoped 3 years ago, had 1 polyp removed and gonna get re-scoped inna coupla years.

You know, we could have a health section where us young'uns could learn health stuff from the old dudes and maybe head off some stupid ways to die.

bigreddog 05-05-2014 06:38 AM

A speedy recovery to you cougar, that's some scary stuff. Glad you hear your on the road to recovery.

cougar 05-05-2014 10:05 AM

Thanks everyone. Feeling better, less pain, but still tired.