Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 2nd Gen NON-DRIVETRAIN
Technical Info: 2nd Gen NON-DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of second generation (1994 - 2002) questions, solutions and upgrades. Please -- DO NOT post drivetrain discussions in this forum.

Old 02-14-2016

Question Any brake upgrades?

I have one of the early 01 2500's with the rear drum brakes. Needless to say its braking isn't stellar.

I need to replace my front pads and rotors. Is there anything out there that will help with the braking issue?
Old 02-14-2016
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to MAXTORQ Send a message via Skype™ to MAXTORQ

Porterfield Brake pads up front and if budget allows convert the rear to disc.

You can accomplish this one of two ways. Change the entire axle and master cylinder assembly. Or there are a few companies out there that offer retro kits for the drums to disc without changing the axle.

www.maxtorqdiesel.com
Old 02-15-2016
Administrator

Porterfield...R4-S, they make pads & shoes.

http://www.porterfield-brakes.com/search.php

Keep the rear brakes adjusted up.
2000QC,SLT,SB,4x4,Intense Blue,Auto,4.10,DSS,AFE Megacannon PRO GUARD-7,silencer ring MIA,Edge Comp-pump wire untapped,Rip's 4in Fair Shake Exhaust,Isspro EVs fuel,boost,pyro,FASS 95/150, S/S '03 trackbar bracket, Thuren '03 trackbar, HTS Ultimate Duty trans w/ billet input & output, 89% Suncoast convertor, 150HP MAXsticks

'06 Liberty CRD, Inferno Red Crystal Pearlcoat, GDE ECO tune

'12 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT, Bright Silver Metallic

'98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
Old 02-20-2016

Some recommend going to Chevy 1 ton wheel cylinders. I did when I needed shoes and cylinders. They are a direct bolt on but I didn't notice a huge difference. Perhaps my system was in good shape to begin with or is still in poor shape. I was in a hurry the last time I bought pads so have Lifetime no-name pads. Braking is acceptable and I adjust rears with oil changes or when the jack is near the back end. (I have to drag the jack down the driveway to get close to the truck and am becoming lazy1.) The parking brake works fine unless facing up hill in a parking lot where there is no curb to bump against.
2000 Quad Cab,Longbed, NV4500, 410 Gears, 4X4, ISSPro gauges, Thuren 3rd Gen Trackbar (beautiful), AGR Steering Box - box works - NOPE, spoke too soon. Never AGR again. 2 dumped fluid & lost brakes & steering, 4th is too loose. AGR = pp quality control & long wait for replacement (doing something different. Will update with what works), DSS Steering Brace, AirDog 100 = 13# solid, Rusty Doors (POR15 at the bottom for now covered with color match Rustoleum)
Old 02-20-2016

I changed my rear wheel cylinders like Junkman said....Easy, no hassle swap.
Significant difference!! Had to relearn how to stop so I wasn't being caught by the seatbelt!!

Did the same for my battalion chief, he was very pleased.
Stock, until...
My Other Truck is a Fire Engine!!