Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 2nd Gen NON-DRIVETRAIN
Technical Info: 2nd Gen NON-DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of second generation (1994 - 2002) questions, solutions and upgrades. Please -- DO NOT post drivetrain discussions in this forum.

Old 10-28-2015

Default Replacing Dash in an '02

I am in the market for a new dash for my 3500, and wanted a little feedback from any of you who have replaced yours. I am leaning towards the LMC Truck replacement because I don't want to paint the dash. But then the Musselman Distributing has a lifetime warranty on theirs, but it has to be painted.... Oh, and Musselman and Plastic Parts Inc are the same company because I called them both and the same woman answered the phone and I asked her..... There is just something I don't like about buying something like that and having to paint it, so I'm thinking the LMC is looking good about now.

Anyway, have any of you replaced your dash with either of the two companies above and if so.... How was the fitment, the color (mines Agate) and how much of a pain was it to attach the ducting from underneath the panel? I have everything all open and loose due to having to replace my heater core, so I just need to unscrew two screws that I put back in to hold the top in place and loosen the bottom two bolts and steering column to tilt the dash back to put a new on....

Any info would be helpful....
Old 10-28-2015

Oops, can a moderator please move this to the non-drivetrain... Sorry about that....
Old 10-28-2015
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to MAXTORQ Send a message via Skype™ to MAXTORQ

LMC is a good product. Just got done doing one in our 03. However your in for a big job and not something that can be done on a Sunday afternoon with a beer in one hand. The 2nd gens the entire dash assembly has to come out and set on a garage floor. Best to search on YouTube for a video on a how to. Takes me a solid ten to twelve hours to do one and few cuss words.

www.maxtorqdiesel.com
Old 10-30-2015
Super Moderator

Agree with Maxtorq. I wanted to do mine when the heater core leaked and decided against it seeing how stupidly hard it was. I guess not hard just way time consuming. Most people remove the front seats and everything to remove the dash. Also I do suggest if you do decide to do it buy a heater core too and just replace it at the same time. The dash has to come almost completely out for a heater core change too. I just ended up tossing a dash mat over it and said yay. Its a work truck. When i decide to restore then maybe. But when that time comes i will rip everything out and dynamat the floors and everything. Good luck.

--SOLD--2001 3500 SLT SO, 2wd, NV5600

2000 VW TDI (56 MPG)

2012 Keystone Raptor 395LEV
Old 11-18-2015

I went with the LMC and got the Agate or dark gray and it matched up pretty good. I think if I use some mothers detailing cleaner it would not really be noticeable at all. As far as the fitment went, it fix exactly and everything lined up perfectly, no complaints at all.... I just tilted the dash back into the seat and went to town.... The only parts that were an issue were the vent screws on the driver side, only because the dash doesn't come back as far as it does on the passenger side. I didn't want to disconnect everything but once I dropped the steering column down it came back enough to get my big ol' hands back there at the base of the windshield. A short stubby screw driver would have worked great but naturally I couldn't find mine, so I had to wrestle with a standard size one. Once all that was finished, reinstalling everything else was a cake walk.....

I would strongly recommend LMC dashes to anyone replacing theirs.... Its more work than those dash caps you glue on, but its well worth it....
Old 02-20-2016

I'm glad Max says he takes 10 to 12 hrs. Some act like they're such great mechanics that the dash jumps in & out by itself & only takes a couple of hours. They probably leave a few screws out or something.
2000 Quad Cab,Longbed, NV4500, 410 Gears, 4X4, ISSPro gauges, Thuren 3rd Gen Trackbar (beautiful), AGR Steering Box - box works - NOPE, spoke too soon. Never AGR again. 2 dumped fluid & lost brakes & steering, 4th is too loose. AGR = pp quality control & long wait for replacement (doing something different. Will update with what works), DSS Steering Brace, AirDog 100 = 13# solid, Rusty Doors (POR15 at the bottom for now covered with color match Rustoleum)
Old 02-20-2016

Thanks for the insight!! This is a project that I need to do this year!! All tips and advise is welcomed!!!

Heater Core- Who makes the better one??

Rebuilt Tranny @150k
Rebuilt Steering Gear Box@157K

Next-Dash & Heatercore placement!!

3rd Windshield, Cracked Dashboard
Australian Cattle Dawg as Co-Pilot.
Semper Fi-
Old 02-21-2016
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to MAXTORQ Send a message via Skype™ to MAXTORQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman View Post
I'm glad Max says he takes 10 to 12 hrs. Some act like they're such great mechanics that the dash jumps in & out by itself & only takes a couple of hours. They probably leave a few screws out or something.
Older the dash more care is involved so that we don't bust other stuff while in there.

www.maxtorqdiesel.com
Old 02-21-2016

There are many tutorials that show up. One option is o chea and replace part of the metal heater core inlet & outlet tubes with 5/8 heater hose. This lets you just pull the pass side back without removing the entire heater box or dash. You also don't discharge the AC. A diadvantage is that you can't clean he built up crap from the box.

Another possible strategy is to loosen the bolt in the engine compartment that holds the heater box in. This lets you skip cutting the heater core tubes & not use heater hose. This also lets you not discharge the AC but you still don't get to clean the leaves & crap.

You might want to look up "heater treater" and deal with the blend door actuator and clean & reseal the box if you decide to follow the factory procedure.

Buy an LMC dash if you pull the dash out.
2000 Quad Cab,Longbed, NV4500, 410 Gears, 4X4, ISSPro gauges, Thuren 3rd Gen Trackbar (beautiful), AGR Steering Box - box works - NOPE, spoke too soon. Never AGR again. 2 dumped fluid & lost brakes & steering, 4th is too loose. AGR = pp quality control & long wait for replacement (doing something different. Will update with what works), DSS Steering Brace, AirDog 100 = 13# solid, Rusty Doors (POR15 at the bottom for now covered with color match Rustoleum)
Old 04-22-2016

I used the glue down one and it looked awesome. I have another glue down with a small crack next to the vent on the passenger side (gray) that I want to give to anyone who is interested. But I'm in CT
'99 2500 Sport, Ex Cab, Short Bed, Intense Blue. Loaded, Leather. FASS, Banks 4" turbo back, High Ram, waste gate. AFE, Injectors, Shift Kit, AR rims, Bed Rails, Lund Steps, 3" lift, Tints, Flares, ISSPro FP MP Pyro, Blue chips controller. Hotrod vp44