Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 2nd Gen NON-DRIVETRAIN
Technical Info: 2nd Gen NON-DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of second generation (1994 - 2002) questions, solutions and upgrades. Please -- DO NOT post drivetrain discussions in this forum.

Old 12-20-2016

Default Anyone really know what causes power steering to foam

It got down to 25*F & the power steering started groaning. I thought it was low because there is a slow leak somewhere that I haven't been able to find. The fluid was foamy. Professor Duck Duck Go says to do all kinds of irrelevant stuff but none has a definitive answer.

To me, foam = air. Why only when it's cold? The system was flushed this summer when I was looking for the leak. There is regular dino PS fluid installed and the level is correct.
2000 Quad Cab,Longbed, NV4500, 410 Gears, 4X4, ISSPro gauges, Thuren 3rd Gen Trackbar (beautiful), AGR Steering Box - box works - NOPE, spoke too soon. Never AGR again. 2 dumped fluid & lost brakes & steering, 4th is too loose. AGR = pp quality control & long wait for replacement (doing something different. Will update with what works), DSS Steering Brace, AirDog 100 = 13# solid, Rusty Doors (POR15 at the bottom for now covered with color match Rustoleum)
Old 12-20-2016
Amsoil Sponsor

Switch it out to Synthetic Power Steering Fluid.
sales@syntheticoilspecialties.com
1-888-887-9052

SUPPORT YOUR SITE SPONSOR
Old 12-20-2016

Why should it need synthetic when it never has? Many run dino without any issues. I used to use synthetic but got tired of having to always be aware of having some in reserve.

Besides "switch to synthetic" doesn't explain the foaming.
2000 Quad Cab,Longbed, NV4500, 410 Gears, 4X4, ISSPro gauges, Thuren 3rd Gen Trackbar (beautiful), AGR Steering Box - box works - NOPE, spoke too soon. Never AGR again. 2 dumped fluid & lost brakes & steering, 4th is too loose. AGR = pp quality control & long wait for replacement (doing something different. Will update with what works), DSS Steering Brace, AirDog 100 = 13# solid, Rusty Doors (POR15 at the bottom for now covered with color match Rustoleum)
Old 12-21-2016
Administrator

My thought is that when it gets thick due to the low temps it sucks air indue to cavitation,i switched all of mine to synthetic or ATF4, groaning stopped and no foam.

sold
'96 2500SLT CC LB 2WD, KDP tabbed,100Hp Maxsticks,16* ,3k gsk,afc modded,#8 tst plate,62/70/13 turbo,4" MBRP exhaust,AFE stage III dry filter intake,autometer boost pyro, oil, tran temp,DSS,rebuilt diff & tranny w/billet triple lock TC w/lockup switch,1tn rear cylinders,ride rites on all 4 corners w/on board air,465k km. 330 hp 766 ft/lbs
Old 12-21-2016

I note that it doesn't always do it and that others run dino without any problem. It isn't really cold here. The wine started at 25* and transmission fluid or even PS fluid is designed to function easily at that temp.

I have a very slow leak that I haven't found. I need to before going back to synthetic. I've been all over the system and can't see anything dripping but the bottom of the truck and steering stay covered.

Over time, PS pump, hydroboost, steering box have all been changed. There isn't anything else except hoses. I thought about PS pump reservoir but that should leak down and be able to be seen.
Old 12-21-2016
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to MAXTORQ Send a message via Skype™ to MAXTORQ

[QUOTE=Junkman;1927564

I have a very slow leak that I haven't found.[/QUOTE]

Fix this problem will fix the aeration. So in effect you have answered your own question.

www.maxtorqdiesel.com
Old 12-21-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXTORQ View Post
Fix this problem will fix the aeration. So in effect you have answered your own question.
Thanks Max, you answered it. Difference between someone that does this every day and someone that just plays at it when time allows.
Old 12-21-2016
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to MAXTORQ Send a message via Skype™ to MAXTORQ

To piggy back on what others said above. Once you fix the leak switch to a SYN. You cold weather operation will improve along with the hot temps. The hot weather temps takes a toll on the hydra-boost. We use the Amsoil works well in the cold. No groaning due to low lube flow along with no brake pedal bounce.

www.maxtorqdiesel.com