Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > General Diesel Topics > RV and Medium / Heavy Duty Applications
RV and Medium / Heavy Duty Applications NEW! We've added a forum to cover questions relating to diesel powered Recreational Vehicles, and Medium / Heavy Duty Trucks! Post your questions here!

Old 08-16-2010

Also, from what I have read or others have told me on my own research on the matter...

One advantage to a G/N connection (i.e. with adapter) is more pivot/articulation, which can be handy if off the beaten path.

Disadvantes to a G/N connection include a little less stability, safety chains required for a G/N connection (not B&W companion, but G/N adapter), and a little harder to hook up (more precision required to align the ball).
2004.5 SLT QCSB 600CTD/6sp, FASS 150/150, Jacobs Brake, Westach Dual Gauge (EGT/Boost) w/SRT10 pillar mount, MBRP Muffler "kit", Rokktech CPS (Removed), Westin Nerf Bars, Firestone Riderite Airbags & onboard air w/dual control, ARE Topper Shell...
Two '05 Kawasaki Prairie 700 4x4 ATV's (his & hers) and a '06 Kawasaki 50cc for the daughter
'66 Mustang Coupe, Modified 302/C-4
'09 Ford Escape Limited (hers)

Last edited by BrianJ; 08-16-2010 at 08:36 AM..
Old 08-16-2010

My opinions, here, are based on 25 years of 5er towing experiences.
Some manufacturers are starting to lighten up on gooseneck adapters, but I recommend checking with the manufacture, not the dealer to be sure (dealers will tell you anything for a sale). It could be catastrophic to damage your 5er frame with a g/n adapter and have the mfg. say "too bad."
I have always used a Reese hitch with good results, however I have always had to have a sheet of plywood in the bed without the hitch to cover up the rails for a flat bed (big pita). The next hitch I get will either be the B&W with the companion hitch, or Reese makes a 'Signature' series that uses 4 small holes in the bed and the rails under the bed.
Further beating a dead horse, some manufactures are OK with gooseneck adaptors but most are not.
As always this is just my two cents worth.
Jake
Old 08-16-2010

Good insight; thanks! We put a deposit on the 5er, have to wait to look at the buyer's sheet tonight - it's supposed to be on the home fax machine now.

This dealer was pretty close to the holman RV price, we split the difference in price due to freight costs, so I'm happy, they're happy, momma's happy (and that's the only one that really counts).

Got a quote of $1495 for purchase and install of a 4 way pivot 16k hitch (don't know the brand yet) and wiring the truck, $280 for purchase, installation and wiring of a digital electronic brake controller. Truck had TC, 5er and wiring in a prior life, but was all removed before I purchased it. Considering doing it myself but just not sure if I have the time to get 'er done before Thursday when I pick it up. We'll see. $1495 seems too high for hitch, install and wiring... $500-$600 for the hitch, $800-$900 labor? Should only take maybe 4 hrs tops, I would think?

To echo Brian's note above re: gooseneck hitch, I grew up in a powerline construction company that used a lot of GN equipment trailers - definitely had a lot of articulation for off-road towing. Also used GN hitches on the horse trailers and had plenty of movement when off-roading.

SOLD 97 2500 4x4 ExtCab LB Auto; Isspro gauges (pyro, boost, tranny); 75hp Maxsticks, MaxTrans auto, KDP killed; BD DSS; 3rd gen 17" wheels; GM 1ton rear brake cylinders; Westin step bars; Pakbrake exhaust brake, TS Performance TC Lockup.
Old 08-16-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by riddle family View Post
Going on 5 years with my Reese hitch and no problems (knock on wood). Just make sure if you go with a Fifth wheel hitch to get the 4 way tilt head, less strain on the pin box.

I would also stay away from the rear bar locking system have seen them notch the pin on the back side. Use a clam or J-hook type of latching system.

I think the Reese is a fine quality hitch. I have a RBW but since I dont pull a 5vre anymore just my flatbed 5th wheel trailer I am going to keep the RBW, not going to the extra expense of buying a Reese. I have noticed the rear bar lock is showing wear and there are times it is hard to unlock.
If you are going to pull a lot definitely go with the Reese. And get a Rocker it will help you connect and disconnect on unlevel spots.
1978 Chevy Elcamino, 350 bored .040, 4 bolt, holley carb, flow tech headers (In works at shop)
1989 Holiday Rambler 34 ft motor Home (I think I stole It)
"T"
Old 08-17-2010

Talked to the service dept and tried to get to the parts guy, but he was on the phone and I was late for a meeting so couldn't hold for him. The service manager says they sell and install Valley hitches, and said in their experience, it's the one they trust. So, getting a 16k Valley 4 way (or Rocker as noted above, I believe).

SOLD 97 2500 4x4 ExtCab LB Auto; Isspro gauges (pyro, boost, tranny); 75hp Maxsticks, MaxTrans auto, KDP killed; BD DSS; 3rd gen 17" wheels; GM 1ton rear brake cylinders; Westin step bars; Pakbrake exhaust brake, TS Performance TC Lockup.
Old 08-17-2010

The Valley 16k UBS Slider (and their electronic brake controller as well) that I mentioned earlier has been in 3 trucks (04.5 3500 SRW Quad Cab 4x4, 06 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4 and 08 3500 DRW Mega Cab 4x4) and has never missed a beat, always locks, slides easy (only had to do that a couple of times) only takes a minute to install or take out and the UBS mount system leaves the bed floor smooth.

I am sure you will be happy with the product.

I have installed the hitches into each truck myself and found that their instructions are easy to follow and the bracketry for your specific truck fits like a glove, so I wouldn't be afraid to install it myself. As for the brake controller just make sure they include the adapter pigtail that plugs into the truck harness (mounted up by the parking brake pedal bracket).
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Crewcab SRW 4x4, Silver, RamBox, Everything except DVD, Dick Cepek Fun Country LT285/70R17E Tires, Amp Research PowerSteps, Access Roll-up Box Cover and soon my Espar Heater with cellphone remote.

2009 Massey Ferguson GC2400 Tractor/Loader/Snowblower

2013 VW Touareg TDi, White, Full Load

2007 Haulmark 3329DS 45foot motorcoach on Freightliner Coronado, Detroit 515hp, Meritor 12sp auto shift, 10kw Onan generator, all the toys