Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > General Diesel Topics > RV and Medium / Heavy Duty Applications
RV and Medium / Heavy Duty Applications NEW! We've added a forum to cover questions relating to diesel powered Recreational Vehicles, and Medium / Heavy Duty Trucks! Post your questions here!

Old 08-26-2010
Amsoil Sponsor

Default Up grading soon

Going to look at this new 5ver, It's 32 ft, with 4 slides. Anyone know how the Holiday Ramblers rate.

sales@syntheticoilspecialties.com
1-888-887-9052

SUPPORT YOUR SITE SPONSOR
Old 09-06-2010

Howdy,
When was it built? Holiday Rambler went bust towards the end of 07. They were bought out by Navistar. I ordered our 2008 HR in October of 07. Took delivery in December of 07. I found out that Navistar moved production of the units to a location that built Spree ( I think they are called) that are of a entry level quality. I had nothing but major problems with our unit for two years. I'm talking rear laminate pulling loose from the body, many water leaks, many plumbing leaks, interior walls pulling loose, kitchen cabinets not attached properly, counter top laminate came loose, just to name what comes to mind from the top of my head. The good news is the dealer was nice enough to fix everything to the best of their ability, the bad news is that HR never paid them for any of the warranty work. My conversations with HR customer service was nothing short of insulting and inappropriate. Those folks could give a crap about my problems. I thought I was buying a quality unit for a quality price. I got a piece of junk. I still have the unit and had one trouble free year with it, but it is going to be traded as soon as I can swing it. I will never again buy another HR product.
W.W.
3 dogs
2 horses
1 rabbit
1 Excedrin headache
Old 09-06-2010

Herb , Go to RV.net as well and ask the same question. You will get some great feedback as I did recently with my truck camper. My buddy has a Fusion and that's a well built 5er. Thomphil posted a good critique on HR. I would pay attention to his experience. When you start digging around you start seeing how a unit was put together and believe me it will make you sick to see the poor craftmanship found on a lot of RVs. Especially for the prices they charge!
Old 09-06-2010

Probably better than a tent...LOL!

I would go to RV.net as well. Great site, good info.
Old 09-07-2010
Amsoil Sponsor

It was a 2011 Savoy HR, Thanks for the feedback, yesterday we looked at a Montana by Keystone very nice RV with 4 slides, going back next week to look at them again. 33% off the Retail price, not sure if that's as low as they will go.
1-888-887-9052

Last edited by Herb; 09-07-2010 at 05:21 AM..
Old 09-07-2010

Howdy,
Those Montana 5ers are really nice. We looked at them last summer in Myrtle Beach. I believe they have a four season rating or package too... I can't say for sure if HR has resolved their quality issues caused by the meltdown, but I got screwed big as did many others who bought units built around that time period. Not to mention the dealer who we have done business with for over twenty years (and I still recommend them, good folks, skilled service), he got stuck with literally millions of $ of inventory (high end motor homes) that Navistar would not warranty.
W.W.
3 dogs
2 horses
1 rabbit
1 Excedrin headache
Old 09-08-2010
Amsoil Sponsor

What would be the limit on a trailer on my 09, some of these Montana's I'm looking at are 11,250 Empty /GVWR 13,965 and up. My tag on the truck shows GVWR 12,200 so I have to stay under that correct.
1-888-887-9052

Old 09-11-2010
Amsoil Sponsor

Now I'm really confused, today we looked at Keystone MONTANA #3150RL HICKORY EDITION and then I found a Keystone RAPTOR 361LEV RAPTOR LUXURY PACKAGE Toy Hauler. The Montana is 32 Ft, but the Raptor is 39" 7 wife and I would like to get 4x4 Quads but not sure I want to handle 40" of 5th wheel.
1-888-887-9052

Old 09-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb View Post
Now I'm really confused, today we looked at Keystone MONTANA #3150RL HICKORY EDITION and then I found a Keystone RAPTOR 361LEV RAPTOR LUXURY PACKAGE Toy Hauler. The Montana is 32 Ft, but the Raptor is 39" 7 wife and I would like to get 4x4 Quads but not sure I want to handle 40" of 5th wheel.
That is a lot of 5th wheel behind you. Some observations from two of my friends that just got Keystone trailers:

-The one that got the 35' toy hauler....he can no longer get into most of his favorite spots due to the sheer size of his trailer. He also may need to get a bigger truck (02 duramax 2500). It pulls it fine, just a little overweight.
-The other got a 37.5 Keystone Lorado. Loves it, but has the same problem at the other guy...just too big to get into most places. He has a really nice 07 Duramax 2500. Pulls it well, just has a little tail whip every now and again due to the weight rear of the trailer axles. He feels 65 mph is about the safe speed limit on that trailer/truck combo.
Old 09-11-2010
Amsoil Sponsor

Thanks Chris, was looking for some feedback like that. That's what my wife was telling me, we won't be able to get that big rig into some of our site that we like. We are thinking about staying at 29 to 30 ft max.
1-888-887-9052