Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 2nd Gen 24 VALVE DRIVETRAIN
Technical Info: 2nd Gen 24 VALVE DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of second generation (1998 - 2002) 24-valve engine and drivetrain questions, solutions and upgrades.

Old 03-25-2018

Default Thoughts on stuck timing gear on VP

I get better info here than other sites s here goes.

I've had the VP out before with no issues at all. This time, I attached a steering wheel puller as usual, tightened the center bolt that should pop it off and the gear didn't move. I just went to the store & brought back a couple of other pullers but don't have much faith that they are different.

My recollection and understanding is that the gear comes off after removing the nut and washer but before the bolts holding the pump to the block are loosened. I'm pretty sure the puller is pulling straight. What gives? Any other ideas? I don't want to strip anything.
2000 Quad Cab,Longbed, NV4500, 410 Gears, 4X4, ISSPro gauges, Thuren 3rd Gen Trackbar (beautiful), AGR Steering Box - box works - NOPE, spoke too soon. Never AGR again. 2 dumped fluid & lost brakes & steering, 4th is too loose. AGR = pp quality control & long wait for replacement (doing something different. Will update with what works), DSS Steering Brace, AirDog 100 = 13# solid, Rusty Doors (POR15 at the bottom for now covered with color match Rustoleum)
Old 03-26-2018

Every time I've pulled one I used a little homemade puller and whacked it with a hammer.
Hammer always popped it right off.
Stock, until...
My Other Truck is a Fire Engine!!
Old 03-27-2018

Like a pitman puller you have to smack the end of the puller bolt. Couple taps with flat side of adjustable wrench works for me.
30' Damon Escaper 5'er 12,000#
Old 03-27-2018

I got it out and almost back together. I was just concerned because it went easier the other times it was out and I didn't want to strip the gear or break a bolt off in there. I'm taking a break then will go start it while keeping my fingers crossed.

I just had a thought. Perhaps the yellow running down the back passenger side of the motor was fuel from the back of the head at the return line. I sealed the line a couple of years ago but perhaps it's loosened. That would account for the slight drop in mileage that I was attributing to winter fuel and trying to ignore. All of the freeze plugs were dry as a bone.

The fingers crossed is hoping for a dry tappet cover and not buggering the VP key.
2000 Quad Cab,Longbed, NV4500, 410 Gears, 4X4, ISSPro gauges, Thuren 3rd Gen Trackbar (beautiful), AGR Steering Box - box works - NOPE, spoke too soon. Never AGR again. 2 dumped fluid & lost brakes & steering, 4th is too loose. AGR = pp quality control & long wait for replacement (doing something different. Will update with what works), DSS Steering Brace, AirDog 100 = 13# solid, Rusty Doors (POR15 at the bottom for now covered with color match Rustoleum)
Old 03-29-2018

I'll never remove another VP44 without replacing the lifter cover gasket. Also heater grid/air horn and intake cover gasket. Cheap and easy insurance in my opinion, especially the lifter cover.
30' Damon Escaper 5'er 12,000#
Old 03-30-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLRMKR27 View Post
I'll never remove another VP44 without replacing the lifter cover gasket. Also heater grid/air horn and intake cover gasket. Cheap and easy insurance in my opinion, especially the lifter cover.
I'll try to remember you said that when my 92 goes into the shop next week.
Old 03-30-2018

Hey Junkman, you started on putting the VP on yet?
01.5,Red QC Sport SWB,HO,6spd,4x4,cowl hood, Drag Comp,4"ex., fuel press. gauge, boost&pyro gauges, bhaf, single Holley lift pump next to the fuel tank/13psi WOT, Vulcan Big Line, cheapo fuel cooler, Amsoil in the trans. & Valvoline in the pan, 62-65-.70A/R, ARP studs, kevlar/ceramic SD clutch, 7x.013" Maxstix

Time to turn so's you don't burn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar View Post
If you remove the gutters, you won't have to clean them. Problem solved..
True love is when she gives you the ham from her egg mcmuffin
Old 04-01-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clunk View Post
Hey Junkman, you started on putting the VP on yet?
VP is back in and it runs fine. Axle seals are sealing. New ball joints are working.
Dash is 1/2 way out & coolant is under pressure looking for leak that shows under dash. Core was replaced not too long ago. Apparently something is wrong and I'll get to practice more on the dash. I hope it isn't poor crimps in the swiveling pipes on the core. I'll look for one where the pipes are fixed because this has 4 crimps on each arm and 1 pipe looks crooked.

Alternator bearings are going out and I'll try a kit from here.
http://rebuilderinabox.com/
I've been wanting to tear into an alternator anyway because I have an old (1976) sail boat that needs the generator fixed so I may as well learn how.
Old 04-02-2018

I was going to change out the rectifier bridge on mine but it's soldered in and I'm afraid I'll mess up. My AC volts are still in the .009-.013 range so I'm holding off for now.
01.5,Red QC Sport SWB,HO,6spd,4x4,cowl hood, Drag Comp,4"ex., fuel press. gauge, boost&pyro gauges, bhaf, single Holley lift pump next to the fuel tank/13psi WOT, Vulcan Big Line, cheapo fuel cooler, Amsoil in the trans. & Valvoline in the pan, 62-65-.70A/R, ARP studs, kevlar/ceramic SD clutch, 7x.013" Maxstix

Time to turn so's you don't burn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar View Post
If you remove the gutters, you won't have to clean them. Problem solved..
True love is when she gives you the ham from her egg mcmuffin