Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > General Diesel Topics > Biodiesel and Alternative Fuels
Biodiesel and Alternative Fuels New! A forum specifically for the discussion and information on biodiesels and alternative fuels.

Old 02-22-2012

Default WVO and metal tanks

I have slooowly come to realize that there's some special chemistry between wvo and metal tanks.

Over time the wvo forms a black skin over the metal which eventually starts to break down and get little black flakes of slime all in the filters. (Polymerization electrolysis)
Doesn't do it in plastic tanks like the trucks factory fuel tank.

No other problems except a nightmare of filter changing till it's all gone,
or as I usually do, break down and drain and wash the tank.

I've had to wash the tractor fuel tank twice and treated it with algicide the last time...clean so far.

Now it seems to have coated the inside of my auxiliary fuel tank in my truck...
stopping up filters very reguarly now between it and the main tank.

Anybody else experienced this?
Is there a quick and easy way to prevent it?
Am I on the right track with the algae trreatment or is it polymerization ??
Is there something I could put in the tank and let it slosh around for a couple days to clean it all out instead of pressure washing it??

Thanks.
Stock, until...
My Other Truck is a Fire Engine!!

Last edited by smokediver; 02-22-2012 at 10:18 AM..
Old 02-22-2012
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to MAXTORQ Send a message via Skype™ to MAXTORQ

Algae is what it is. Bio Kleen is the answer. And if you store it use this stuff.

http://www.powerservice.com/cd/

www.maxtorqdiesel.com
Old 04-21-2012

Personally, I've never had an actual problem with either polymerization or algae in either diesel fuel or biodiesel or even straight vegetable oil. So I can't say from experience what you're dealing with.
I do know that algae and polymerization are potential problems, and polymerization only a problem of concern in steel tanks apparently. Although I've seen the little film of crud inside all the steel tanks I've used for WVO, it's never accumulated to being a problem. If it is polymerization, there are a few little tricks to help reduce the effects. Keep the tank full whenever possible for example, as it is the oxygen, oil and steel that somehow all work to create the polymerization. so it should only build up where there is air in the tank. Another thing that may help is to make sure your fuel is not acidic, which can be a problem with WVO depending on your source. Be interesting to do a titration on the oil if you can to know if you have acidic oil.

Otherwise, I'm not sure what to suggest. the link Max put up here is good to have. I didn't know powerservice made that particular conditioner. Sounds like it should work if it's Algae.

As for a cleaner to clean out the crud inside the tank, I've heard that lye (same as used in making biodiesel) will strip the polymerized oil right out.. However you would still have to rinse the tank out and make sure it's dry before using again.

Good luck!
1999 Ram 2500 4X4, DTT trans & TC, Smarty, 150/95 FASS, 100 HP Maxsticks, Snow performance stage 2 water/methanol injection, DSS steering stabilizer bar, Lukes Links, Cold air intake, Silencer ring MIA. 4" turbo back exhaust split to duals half way back, 6" lift, lots of gauges

1998, quad cab, 12 valve, 4x4, auto converted to 5 speed, engine out of a 98 freightliner truck (still 12 valve 5.9L CTD) pacbrake exhaust brake, Runs on waste vegetable oil.
Old 04-21-2012
Administrator

Smoke, that problem you're having with the fuel could be causing your VP problems too.
2000QC,SLT,SB,4x4,Intense Blue,Auto,4.10,DSS,AFE Megacannon PRO GUARD-7,silencer ring MIA,Edge Comp-pump wire untapped,Rip's 4in Fair Shake Exhaust,Isspro EVs fuel,boost,pyro,FASS 95/150, S/S '03 trackbar bracket, Thuren '03 trackbar, HTS Ultimate Duty trans w/ billet input & output, 89% Suncoast convertor, 150HP MAXsticks

'06 Liberty CRD, Inferno Red Crystal Pearlcoat, GDE ECO tune

'12 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT, Bright Silver Metallic

'98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo