Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 2nd Gen NON-DRIVETRAIN
Technical Info: 2nd Gen NON-DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of second generation (1994 - 2002) questions, solutions and upgrades. Please -- DO NOT post drivetrain discussions in this forum.

Old 02-18-2017

Default steering question

My '02 2500 has a lot of slop in the steering. No death wobble, replaced ball joints, tried to adjust the steering box, but not a lot of luck. Also I get a grinding sound when I turn just to the left. Everything is still good, just got to saw the wheel a lot. Probably need to replace the steering box, but any ideas to the grinding or squealing sound when turning left?
Old 02-18-2017

Tell us about what you are driving and mods if any have been done to the truck. Slop in the steering box is where your see-saw most likely is, they don't last forever and adjusting the preload on the box won't fix wear. If it has happened to a Dodge truck....someone here has seen it at least twice.
'06 2500 Brilliant Black Pearl Thunder Road, QC, 4X4, G56 w/ SBDD, Home Brew in the gearboxes Volant CAI, ATS Arc Flow , Airdog 100, AFE 4" cat back, Smarty JR, Warn lock-outs, drilled and slotted rotors, HBS steering stabilizer, Pacbrake airbags, Bilstiens, RP 15W40 , 2 BIG BALLS (shift knobs) from Geno's, 5th wheel slider, step bars. The next mod is........

'74 Trans Am, someday car.......
'10 Wildwood 356 SRV
'15 Mid-life crisis
'98 Oytota Navalon

Last edited by jetfueljockey; 02-18-2017 at 05:44 AM.. Reason: add content
Old 02-19-2017
Administrator

A worn out track bar can give you slop in the steering.
2000QC,SLT,SB,4x4,Intense Blue,Auto,4.10,DSS,AFE Megacannon PRO GUARD-7,silencer ring MIA,Edge Comp-pump wire untapped,Rip's 4in Fair Shake Exhaust,Isspro EVs fuel,boost,pyro,FASS 95/150, S/S '03 trackbar bracket, Thuren '03 trackbar, HTS Ultimate Duty trans w/ billet input & output, 89% Suncoast convertor, 150HP MAXsticks

'06 Liberty CRD, Inferno Red Crystal Pearlcoat, GDE ECO tune

'12 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT, Bright Silver Metallic

'98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
Old 02-20-2017

The Moog ball joints I put on my 99 screeeech something fierce if not greased regularly, like every oil change.
Yeah, they're that tight!
Stock, until...
My Other Truck is a Fire Engine!!
Old 02-20-2017
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to MAXTORQ Send a message via Skype™ to MAXTORQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCranks View Post
My '02 2500 has a lot of slop in the steering. No death wobble, replaced ball joints, tried to adjust the steering box, but not a lot of luck. Also I get a grinding sound when I turn just to the left. Everything is still good, just got to saw the wheel a lot. Probably need to replace the steering box, but any ideas to the grinding or squealing sound when turning left?
Gearbox sector shaft is worn out. Adjusting preload nut does nothing. Don't know how people get that info.

Solution is to buy a Red Head Steering box.

www.maxtorqdiesel.com
Old 02-21-2017

Hub Bearing?
30' Damon Escaper 5'er 12,000#
Old 02-23-2017

thanks for the info. I'll order a steering box.
Old 03-03-2017

crawled around under there a bit this afternoon. Track bar looks pretty bad, along with the tie rod ends. Guess it's time to go through it
Old 03-04-2017

The track bar on my '06 was a little loose, rebushed it for less than 17 bones. Made a difference.
'06 2500 Brilliant Black Pearl Thunder Road, QC, 4X4, G56 w/ SBDD, Home Brew in the gearboxes Volant CAI, ATS Arc Flow , Airdog 100, AFE 4" cat back, Smarty JR, Warn lock-outs, drilled and slotted rotors, HBS steering stabilizer, Pacbrake airbags, Bilstiens, RP 15W40 , 2 BIG BALLS (shift knobs) from Geno's, 5th wheel slider, step bars. The next mod is........

'74 Trans Am, someday car.......
'10 Wildwood 356 SRV
'15 Mid-life crisis
'98 Oytota Navalon