Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > General Diesel Topics > Biodiesel and Alternative Fuels
Biodiesel and Alternative Fuels New! A forum specifically for the discussion and information on biodiesels and alternative fuels.

Old 01-11-2008

Default White flakes in my B-99.

I bought some B99 and was going to add it to my tank and I noticed it had white flakes in it. Some are specks and some are as big as 1/8th of an inch. I thought it might be a gelling issue because it had gotten (relatively) cold since I bought it. (+/- 19*F)

but when I started to add it to my tank, it was 70*F out and it had been above 55 for the 2 days prior to this.

Any comments or suggestions?

Is it still safe to run in my truck?

I guess I need some [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/Lecture.gif[/img]

Thanks in advance.

2006 2500 HD, SLT, Quad Cab, 4x2, CTD, 6 speed, 3.73, Westin nerf bars, Smarty W/ Revo software,Isspro EV2 fuel pressure gauge, Quadzilla Commander,Brite Box W/fog light control and fogzilla's using type 9005 fog lights! I CAN SEE!, Kobalt deep-well toolbox, Garmin GPS, Delta 100 Gallon transfer tank w/ GPI 15 GPM pump. The powertrain is still stock.

Take it easy....If it's that easy, take it twice!!
Old 01-11-2008

Default Re: White flakes in my B-99.

I wouldn't use it without straining it thoroughly. It sounds like zinc flakes from a galvanized tank to me.
Old 01-11-2008

Send a message via ICQ to bamacat

Check with whoever you bought it from first. They might refund or exchange with you. If thats not an option, I 'm not sure I'd use it.
My $00.02
Old 01-11-2008

Return it if possible.

If there are flakes in the fuel it could be a number of things. If you can't return it, then think about other options like filtering it further, and diluting it with #2 when you add it to the tank.
Flakes make me think about poorly washed fuel that may have gotten very cold and precipitated out impurities... I dont' know for sure.
Anyone else?
1999 2500 CTD 4x4 SLT Q/C, auto, short bed, corroded black paint, AEM Brute Force intake w/ Amsoil nanofiber filter, dual red top Optimas, ISSPRO EV pyro, boost, trans temp, fuel pressure, FASS, DSS stabilizer, DTT noise filter, cracked straight pipe, 2" leveling spacers, Bilstein 5100, Smarty, Power puck, silencer ring is on vacation, Amsoil, B100 in the tank

POPS:
1999 2wd Q/C, auto, FASS 150, Isspro EV gauges on the pillar, Amsoil nanofiber drop in filter, 140k, 53 block
Old 01-12-2008

I'm thinking of filtering it further and using it. I usually run a 2-3% mix with #2 diesel mostly for the lube properties.

What's the best way to filter this?
Fine mesh screen? Coffee filters?

All my fuel goes into my transfer tank, which will be run through a 10 micron tank filter BEFORE it goes into my stock tank on the truck. I'm still using a 10 micron FF in the truck until I can pick up some 5 or 7 micron filters.
2006 2500 HD, SLT, Quad Cab, 4x2, CTD, 6 speed, 3.73, Westin nerf bars, Smarty W/ Revo software,Isspro EV2 fuel pressure gauge, Quadzilla Commander,Brite Box W/fog light control and fogzilla's using type 9005 fog lights! I CAN SEE!, Kobalt deep-well toolbox, Garmin GPS, Delta 100 Gallon transfer tank w/ GPI 15 GPM pump. The powertrain is still stock.

Old 01-12-2008

I might have been too hasty. I took a sample and put it into a glass jar and put it in the sun. I let it sit there an hour and all the flakes went away.

Old 01-12-2008

I saw exactly what you describe in my fuel tank (of my vw jetta) a long time ago. I thought there were crabs or something in my tank... they were huge flakes (half inch diameter?) I honestly thought they were solid things too, but turns out it was just water.

At 70 deg. it should obviously be returned to liquid and you shouldn't see flakes. is the fuel at all cloudy or do you see water bubbles on the bottom when warm? A large "flake" will make a tiny bubble if it was water.
1999 Ram 2500 4X4, DTT trans & TC, Smarty, 150/95 FASS, 100 HP Maxsticks, Snow performance stage 2 water/methanol injection, DSS steering stabilizer bar, Lukes Links, Cold air intake, Silencer ring MIA. 4" turbo back exhaust split to duals half way back, 6" lift, lots of gauges

1998, quad cab, 12 valve, 4x4, auto converted to 5 speed, engine out of a 98 freightliner truck (still 12 valve 5.9L CTD) pacbrake exhaust brake, Runs on waste vegetable oil.
Old 01-12-2008

I didn't notice any bubbles of water in the bottom... Maybe I should of looked for that. It looked clear so I put it back into the 5 gallon container it came out of.

I'll do it again tomorrow and see what haapens.

Old 12-07-2009

Airborne,
It sounds like water. Get a pan and heat it to 200 degrees, then SLOWLY put about 1 to 2 Milli liters of the bio on the pan. If it bubbles, then it is water. If you see smoke tat is normal. you are looking for bubbles.

there should be no bubbles if it is dry.

Danny