Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > General Diesel Topics > Biodiesel and Alternative Fuels
Biodiesel and Alternative Fuels New! A forum specifically for the discussion and information on biodiesels and alternative fuels.

Old 03-17-2011
DieselRam's Tranny Guru

DOT enforces Federal laws and guide lines. No warrant needed on suspected tax evasion.

Just as an example, my ham radios are in my house and trucks. They have the right to inspect my equipment for violations at any time without a warrant, federally controlled equipment and frequencies. This goes for the CB radios too. I have had my equipment inspected several times over the years and was found perfectly legal.

I have also had my tank on my Dodge and Volvo checked before as well. The Volvo on each yearly inspection, the Dodge twice on inspection and once at a random inspection at a truck stop. And the Volvo is not a commercial truck, private RV use only.
The mods I talk about here is for information purposes only. I experiment on my own vehicles but do not endorse the modifications that I make to my vehicles to be used on others. If you use this info that I talk about, you use it at your own risk and responsibility.

03 Dodge 4X4 quad cab Dually. Two travel trailers, 1 cargo trailer. Lots of ham radios. Call sign N5ZYK Tech class. On 28.300 to 28.500 around 10:00 AM to 2:00PM every sunday.
Old 03-18-2011

My dad used to work for a fuel company and he says quality wise there isn't any difference between dyed farm fuel and road fuel, not sure about home heating oil we don't have that around here, when loading the transport truck they either inject dye for farm fuel or don't inject dye for road diesel it takes somewhere around a quart of dye to treat a transport load of fuel and it takes from my personal experience lol about three tanks of road fuel to wash out all the traces of dye. Around here "Buford T" has been known to walk through the parking lot at the livestock sale check your tank, rumor is they have a wand they wave by your exhaust to tell now not sure exactly how they do the fines for gettin caught cause i've heard so many different stories but it's usually in the thousands of dollars It is about $0.45 a gallon cheaper though.
2011 3500, CC, LB, SRW, Laramie, G56, deepwater blue pearl and light graystone two tone, Herd bumper, Pro-Tech headache rack, Amp research steps, bedliner, B&W gooseneck and companion hitch, H&S Mini Maxx, 5" Diamond Eye TBE
1992 Ram 250, 291,000 miles
Old 03-18-2011

Send a message via ICQ to CaptainCummins Send a message via AIM to CaptainCummins Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainCummins

From what I understand, the DOT here let's farmers run off road fuel in on highway trucks as long as they have agriculture plates and not commercial, it's really obvious when the you open the hood and the Davco is filled with red fuel.
Old 03-18-2011

Here in Minnesota they do check. The DOT will pull ALL diesel powered road vehicles over and dip their tanks. My daughter has been checked. The home heating fuel is the same thing as the diesel fuel you buy at the pump, but without the road tax. Running red fuel is tax evasion and the tax people don't like being cheated. Here the fine is $1000 or $10 per gallon capacity of the tank which ever is greater for the first offense. I won't run red.......
1996 2500 2wd auto club cab #100 plate 3/4 forward, AFC full forward, timing at 16.5*, Piers upgraded turbo, 15" glasspack muffler. Pyro, Boost, Tranny Temp Gauges 3.54 rears, air bags, 15k 5th wheel hitch for 28' Dutchmen, 16' aluminum boat behind
Now Running Propane!!
Old 03-18-2011

Good friend of main, uses the off road every now and then in his 2001 RAM. But he adds a bit of used motor oil. It all turns everything into black and if he gets stopped, there will be no issues.

He also uses as much as he can get his hands on to used motor oil. He has no issues. He said he notices more power when he puts over 10 gallon of motor oil in his tank.
My other toys: 1991 MB 300D, 1991 350SDL, and 1995 300E. All fully mechanical Diesels. Love them all.
Retired US Army.
Old 03-18-2011

Up here on road diesel and home heating fuel is died blue because avgas is died red. Avgas smells very similar to diesel fuel and they don't want to get the two confused.

If you purchase No. 1 diesel, they don't die it.

Home heating fuel and No. 2 road fuel are the same blend here and come from the same storage tanks. The price is generally cheaper for road fuel also.

If anyone has the link to the USC that allows any state DOT to take samples from your tank I would like to see it, because I can't find it. I did find an exemption for registered farm vehicles that are driven on the highway.

Oh, and I'm not arguing with anyone, just trying to edjumakate meself.
1997 Ram 3500 Club Cab Dually SLT 5.9l Cummins
Old 03-18-2011

By AvGas I think you mean jet fuel it's very similar to kerosene, AvGas is a low lead 100 octane gasoline. Thats awesome about the registered farm vehicles, does it only apply in your state and where did you find that? It would ease my conscience knowing that i'm not breaking the law as I have farm plates.
2011 3500, CC, LB, SRW, Laramie, G56, deepwater blue pearl and light graystone two tone, Herd bumper, Pro-Tech headache rack, Amp research steps, bedliner, B&W gooseneck and companion hitch, H&S Mini Maxx, 5" Diamond Eye TBE
1992 Ram 250, 291,000 miles
Old 03-19-2011

my fuel supplier said the home heating and off road fuel come from the same bulk tank as well. they give it a different name and charge a different price, the home owner pays more because he said it take longer for them to get there money.

i have been running red fuel for years and i have never seen a check or have been checked.

i dont know if i belive this guy, but he said they were at a farm equipment auction checking farmers pick up trucks when they were leaving the site.
1999 3500 4WD Quad cab. 4" exhaust, ATS exhaust manifold, draw straw, Suncoast Transmission and converter, BHAF, ring?, DTT noise filter, pillar post gauges, low fuel pres warning lite, remote start, Black paint with chrome and stainless.

4WD record holding PSI D Screwcharged Sand Funnycar

1000 Arctic Cat powered Pro ATV.

**SOLD** 2001 3500 SLT 4WD Air Dog 150 with draw straw. Ring? MBRP 4", Quadzilla NIB not use yet, bone stock and sweet!

03 4WD Black 4 door, 305 HP bone stock
Old 03-19-2011

I've read accounts of folks getting their diesel truck tanks dipped and getting hefty fines for running red dyed fuel when I was reading up on biodiesel a few years ago. All anecdotal, of course - "a guy I knew saw it happen at the grain elevator" kind of story.

SOLD 97 2500 4x4 ExtCab LB Auto; Isspro gauges (pyro, boost, tranny); 75hp Maxsticks, MaxTrans auto, KDP killed; BD DSS; 3rd gen 17" wheels; GM 1ton rear brake cylinders; Westin step bars; Pakbrake exhaust brake, TS Performance TC Lockup.
Old 03-19-2011

As I said, MY DAUGHTER had her tank dipped. I saw the pamphlet that they handed her to explain the reason for the check. It is considered TAX EVASION.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Statutes 296A.22
Subd. 4.Unlawful use of dyed fuel.

(a) If any dyed fuel is sold or held for sale by a person for any use which the person knows or has reason to know is not a nontaxable use of the fuel; or if any dyed fuel is held for use or used in a licensed motor vehicle or for any other use by a person for a use other than a nontaxable use and the person knew, or had reason to know, that the fuel was so dyed; or if a person willfully alters, or attempts to alter, the strength or composition of any dye or marking in any dyed fuel, then the person shall pay a penalty in addition to the tax, if any.
(b) Except as provided in paragraph (c), the amount of penalty under paragraph (a) for each act is the greater of $1,000, or $10 for each gallon of dyed fuel involved.
(c) With regard to a multiple violation under paragraph (a), the penalty shall be applied by increasing the amount in paragraph (b) by the product of (1) such amount, and (2) the number of prior penalties, if any, imposed by this section on the person, or a related person, or any predecessor of the person or related person.
(d) If a penalty is imposed under this subdivision on a business entity, each officer, employee, or agent of the entity who willfully participated in any act giving rise to the penalty is jointly and severally liable with the entity for the penalty.
Read the rest of it here:

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/...A.22&year=2010
1996 2500 2wd auto club cab #100 plate 3/4 forward, AFC full forward, timing at 16.5*, Piers upgraded turbo, 15" glasspack muffler. Pyro, Boost, Tranny Temp Gauges 3.54 rears, air bags, 15k 5th wheel hitch for 28' Dutchmen, 16' aluminum boat behind
Now Running Propane!!