Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > General Diesel Topics > Biodiesel and Alternative Fuels
Biodiesel and Alternative Fuels New! A forum specifically for the discussion and information on biodiesels and alternative fuels.

Old 12-08-2011

Default WVO transfer pumps

What does everybody use for a transfer pump?

I've been using an air compressor to pressurize my 55 gal drums for years, but that doesn't work nearly as well with plastic barrels.

I bought a cheapo marine transfer pump from Harbor Freight, but it gets pretty warm after just one barrel and now it doesn't pump very well anymore.
Wonder if I can get a kit to rebuild the pump part??

I can collect oil just as fast with a 2 gallon jug, but it's a lot of nasty work.

I figure a rotary gear style pump would be ideal, but don't want to pay $300 + for one.
A raptor would probably be a good one , but $$.

So what have you guys found that works well??
Stock, until...
My Other Truck is a Fire Engine!!
Old 12-08-2011

Billy, what is it with you and pumps?

If you want some performance from something, your going to have to spend the money. I can only imagine how hard wvo is on transfer pumps.
Old 12-08-2011

I like the metal barrel/compressed air idea.
Did you know some sewerage lift stations operate on that principal?
The transfer tank doesn't have to be big, just stout. A coupla big ball valves and you're there.
01.5,Red QC Sport SWB,HO,6spd,4x4,cowl hood, Drag Comp,4"ex., fuel press. gauge, boost&pyro gauges, bhaf, single Holley lift pump next to the fuel tank/13psi WOT, Vulcan Big Line, cheapo fuel cooler, Amsoil in the trans. & Valvoline in the pan, 62-65-.70A/R, ARP studs, kevlar/ceramic SD clutch, 7x.013" Maxstix

Time to turn so's you don't burn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar View Post
If you remove the gutters, you won't have to clean them. Problem solved..
True love is when she gives you the ham from her egg mcmuffin
Old 12-09-2011

I've been using vacuum/compressed air for years. works awesome. However I can understand not being able to do that so well with barrels. I've got an old retired propane tank that will handle the pressure/vacuum. And somehow in our family's travels we came across a good vacuum pump. It's great because you can pull the tank under vacuum at home, drive to the restaraunt where you don't need any power source and suck the oil into your tank. Then get home and push it out into whatever you want with compressed air.

Another way I move oil around in my setup is with hydraulic gear pumps. If you have an electric motor and a decent hydraulic pump you can move oil with that too. But not sure if that would work for you at the restaraunt without having 110V AC power.
I've also used brass gear pumps, but find that they tend to develop small leaks fairly quickly. not too bad where I use them, but not always acceptable. The nice thing about the brass gear pumps is that they will take some dirt/sludge and not slow down, where lately (after several years) I have found I'm not getting much through my hydraulic gear pumps anymore. But that may just be a plugged line. I haven't really checked into it too far.

Good luck!
1999 Ram 2500 4X4, DTT trans & TC, Smarty, 150/95 FASS, 100 HP Maxsticks, Snow performance stage 2 water/methanol injection, DSS steering stabilizer bar, Lukes Links, Cold air intake, Silencer ring MIA. 4" turbo back exhaust split to duals half way back, 6" lift, lots of gauges

1998, quad cab, 12 valve, 4x4, auto converted to 5 speed, engine out of a 98 freightliner truck (still 12 valve 5.9L CTD) pacbrake exhaust brake, Runs on waste vegetable oil.
Old 12-10-2011

Clunk, I got the idea from driving concrete trucks...that's how they get water pressure onsite.
Haven't figured out how to 'fill' barrels that way though.

Biodieseler, that vacuum pump set up sounds quite interesting.
Seems like a pretty good idea.
I would just have to pick up my oil twice as often though cause the holding tank is 300 gallons and they fill it every 2 months.

I like the hydraulic pump idea. I could get 110 if I go during operating hours, no problem, or use an inverter, or load the gasoline generator in the back of the truck, but things start getting pretty involved at that point.
Got several electric motors, but no hydraulic pumps.

It might even be worth putting a hydraulic pump on a small gasoline engine for portability.
I got a few of those too.
Stock, until...
Old 12-10-2011

If you was picking it up with a gasser vehicle, engine vacuum/pcv line, can draw the tank full if you don't have to lift it more than a few feet. I primed a cistern pump many times that way. Seen 800gal. water trucks draw up creek water that way too
01.5,Red QC Sport SWB,HO,6spd,4x4,cowl hood, Drag Comp,4"ex., fuel press. gauge, boost&pyro gauges, bhaf, single Holley lift pump next to the fuel tank/13psi WOT, Vulcan Big Line, cheapo fuel cooler, Amsoil in the trans. & Valvoline in the pan, 62-65-.70A/R, ARP studs, kevlar/ceramic SD clutch, 7x.013" Maxstix

Time to turn so's you don't burn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar View Post
If you remove the gutters, you won't have to clean them. Problem solved..
True love is when she gives you the ham from her egg mcmuffin
Old 12-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris H. View Post
Billy, what is it with you and pumps?

If you want some performance from something, your going to have to spend the money. I can only imagine how hard wvo is on transfer pumps.
Hey Chris, sorry...didn't mean to over look your response.

Yes, I know, you get what you pay for, most of the time, but the whole Idea is to save money...and save the planet .

You could ship me all those old lift pumps that won't make an acceptable pressure anymore I could..."recycle them"

I tried to put one of my old ones back together...just for a transfer pump.
It quit because the seat for the bypass valve popped out of the pump body. I JB'ed it back in, but getting that lower housing around the motor to seal around the pump body again is a problem....you know they're pressed/formed around the edge and the only way I could figure to get it off was to cut the top lip and curl it back.

Clunk, It is amazing what can be done with a little vacuum isn't it.
Theoretically you can draft 35.7ft at sea level...15.5 psi atmospheric pressure divided by .434 lb/ft.

Fire pumps must be primed from a drafting pit to do annual pump testing.
Older ones used exhaust primers, before all fire trucks were diesels.
Now they use a simple 12v rotary vane pump operated by a basic starter motor.
A new one of those is about $800.....

I've run across a few transfer pumps made from an automotive oil pump run by an electric motor.....
I think I have one of those out in the barn.......
Stock, until...

Last edited by smokediver; 12-11-2011 at 07:53 AM..
Old 12-19-2011

Yesterday, wandering around the barn while filling the truck with fuel, I stumbled across 3 old shur-flo diaphram pumps.
They came with the barn 14 years ago.
They're all 110V and none of them would run so I pulled one apart.
It had been overheated and the brush tension spring was collapsed,
scrap out one cheap-o ball point pen and 'voila, transfer pump running

Running, but not pumping, probably due to a 14+ year old diaphram...but those are pretty cheap to replace.
One other one ran when I removed the pump housing...bearing seized in the pump body....simple fix...maybe.
The 3rd one is all corruded up, doesn't want to come apart without breaking stuff...spare parts!

Do I remember correctly that: voltage x amps = watts ??? 115v X 0.7 amp = 80.5w means I could run both of them on my 300 watt inverter.....right ??
1.5gpm each means 30-35 minutes per 2-55 gal barrels (they're never completely empty anyway) or 18 min for one with both pumps.
Stock, until...
Old 12-19-2011

At work, for changing oil and pumping antifreeze out in the gas patch we use air operated diapghram pumps theyre really reliable until the weather gets really cold and the air slide valves start to ice up and they will handle trash i would say probably up to 1/4" diameter, but you still have the problem of getting air to where you will be loading/unloading unless you wanna load up an air compressor. I've never bought one (with my own money anyway) but I think the little things are kinda spendy.
2011 3500, CC, LB, SRW, Laramie, G56, deepwater blue pearl and light graystone two tone, Herd bumper, Pro-Tech headache rack, Amp research steps, bedliner, B&W gooseneck and companion hitch, H&S Mini Maxx, 5" Diamond Eye TBE
1992 Ram 250, 291,000 miles
Old 12-20-2011

I've seen those before...these are a bit smaller.
I doubt these would tolerate much trash at all.
They're 3 diaphrams about the size of a quarter and the motor turns a slightly off plumb rotor that "pumps" each diaphram is series as it goes around, kinda like a radial compressor.

http://www.dultmeier.com/products/0.851.857.4045/7400

They come in 12V models as well, but I didn't find any of those laying around the barn.
I'm pretty sure these came out of carpet cleaning machines.
The guy we bought the place from was into lots of those.
Stock, until...