Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > General Diesel Topics > Biodiesel and Alternative Fuels
Biodiesel and Alternative Fuels New! A forum specifically for the discussion and information on biodiesels and alternative fuels.

Old 09-02-2012
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to MAXTORQ Send a message via Skype™ to MAXTORQ

No manifold vacuum in a diesel.

www.maxtorqdiesel.com
Old 09-02-2012

An old owner/operator trucker I know put propane on his 425hp Cat 3406C and once he spent a couple of hours on the dyno (plus countless hours before that just playing around trying it) tuning it he reduced his total (diesel and propane) fuel bill by just about 10%, plus he could out pull my 550hp Cat C15 pulling the same load.

If I remember he used the same propane system you would on a Gasser and injected the propane before the Turbo.

My advice is to work with someone who knows about propane injection as major damage can happen if you give it too much...another local gravel trucker tried to create his own system-not properly regulated and it only took a couple of days to melt the pistons out of his basically brand new 600hp Cat C16. Not saying it can't or shouldn't be done, but to truly reap the benefits takes some time.
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Crewcab SRW 4x4, Silver, RamBox, Everything except DVD, Dick Cepek Fun Country LT285/70R17E Tires, Amp Research PowerSteps, Access Roll-up Box Cover and soon my Espar Heater with cellphone remote.

2009 Massey Ferguson GC2400 Tractor/Loader/Snowblower

2013 VW Touareg TDi, White, Full Load

2007 Haulmark 3329DS 45foot motorcoach on Freightliner Coronado, Detroit 515hp, Meritor 12sp auto shift, 10kw Onan generator, all the toys
Old 09-03-2012

Location: suffolk uk/Barril do Alva Portugal as much as possible

Hi
From the little I know about this----I understand that the propane makes the diesel burn more effeciently--so less throttle for a given speed----
In Europe transport Co's are playing with this and Compressed Natural Gas.
A few local authorities are running busses with different fuels----not seen any running on wood burners though
Diesel still seems to be the most practical though
I have thought hydrogen to be the fuel for the future for years.
Nigel & Pamala

2006 CTD 3500 dually 4x4 manual long bed---- NOW SOLD
1998 Lance 11,5 truck camper--- now cannibalised to make a cabin in central Portugal

2002 Niesmann+Bischoff Flair
Old 09-03-2012

A hydrogen generator would be easier to refuel than a propane tank...
I gotta get back to working on mine.

The only propane system I've seen had a switch for WOT, like a nitrous system,
only injected when the pedal was on the floor.
It was on a 7.3 powerstroke.
I'm guessing that probably didn't have any positive effects on fuel economy...
Stock, until...
My Other Truck is a Fire Engine!!
Old 09-03-2012

When I drove Commercial Trucks, we had a few C7 cat motors on natural gas only. Those were the biggest turds, you would no doubt wonder if you would have to Fred Flintstone the truck to get up to speed. Lucky we only had two of them and not needed 99% of the time. It sure would have been interesting if these trucks were dual fuel with diesel and propane.

I personally don't like having compressed cylinders on my truck(I like short bed trucks), let alone a system that feeds explosive gas pre-turbo.
Here are some instructions to a popular kit. It is clean, but look at all those lines in your airbox (if you still have a factory airbox). To me, over time this could get interesting.

http://www.dieselperformanceproducts...e_install.html

Can you imagine what might happen if you loose a seal on the propane system of on the compressor side of the turbo and how hot the turbine side of the turbo is? I have to heat wrap my down pipe so everything doesn't melt on the passenger side firewall, so I think it is safe to say it's hot. I have ridden in a PSD with the ATS system. It did as advertised: lowered egts, improved power, better fuel economy and a pain in the rear to fill.

Most systems are 650+ for the kits. You probably could do it a little cheaper yourself on a piece together kit.

For me, I will use Methanol Injection. No doubt in my mind Snow Performance makes the best kit, but for 1000.00 they need to put down the hash pipe. I will most likely use a Devilsown kit (375-425.00). You can get -20* windshield washer fluid anywhere in the US and it is around 1.10-1.60 per gallon. If you want to be a cheap a$$ like me and mix your own Meth in 55 gallon drums. You can buy 98.9% pure methanol for 175.00 and mix away for cheap.

My brother just put an AEM system on his 01 HO truck. He was really pleased for about a week. The AEM system would stay on non-stop. I think he has a bad controller. AEM thinks he has a kinked boost line (he doesn't, copper tubing). He bought the kit 3 years ago for another vehicle, so it is out of warranty. A couple things I will do when mine is installed:
-toggle switch for high pressure pump power.
-lockable external tank fill cap
-adjustable low boost "on" setpoint

http://www.alcohol-injection.com/en/

Maxtorq Diesel Performance is a supplier, and if he carries them, I will run it.
Old 09-09-2012

Guys, I am one that IS running propane. I can tell you that you do not need a real elaborate system, just a regulator like mine that works off of boost. You can read all about the install on my forum: http://www.dieseltrucksite.com/showthread.php?t=676. I use about 12 gallons of propane per tank of fuel running empty. Towing I use a fair amount more since my regulator is a demand type (more boost=more propane). Now for the question on everyone's mind: How is my mileage? Glad you asked...... I put 503 miles on in the last three days running empty with most of the miles running 70 mph and only used 19.74 gallons of B-99!! That was real strange (but good) to see the fuel gauge at 1/2 tank with 500 miles on. Towing my fiver with the cruise at 65 mph I get about 14.6 mpg or so. On straight diesel I would normally get about 20 mpg empty and about 11 mpg towing at 65 mph.
Another thing about running propane is that it clears up the smoke a decent amount, and it sure makes the truck more fun to drive! I was at 365 RWHP (dyno) before the propane and have yet to put it on a dyno but I believe I am at about 400 RWHP.
1996 2500 2wd auto club cab #100 plate 3/4 forward, AFC full forward, timing at 16.5*, Piers upgraded turbo, 15" glasspack muffler. Pyro, Boost, Tranny Temp Gauges 3.54 rears, air bags, 15k 5th wheel hitch for 28' Dutchmen, 16' aluminum boat behind
Now Running Propane!!
Old 09-09-2012

^^^^^
I don't see your actual mileage with propane? The 20 MPG is empty ( and no propane)?........I get 800 miles out of a tank (#2 diesel). The fuel gauge needle does not budge until I hit 220 miles and 500 miles with 1/2 tank is normal. However, I have the vent kit which gives me 40 gallons of fuel and I get 23.7 MPG at 1800 RPM- hand calculated (65 MPH.....hard to do with a 80 MPH speed limit)) when empty. My MPG has dropped of dramatically here of late. I need to figure this out. Max I think my right rear caliper is sticking. Could that cause a drop from 23-24 to 19-18 MPG? Maybe a sensor? I have no smoke by the way (not even with Smarty at #9). 04 HO.

Last edited by annabelle; 09-09-2012 at 10:40 AM..
Old 09-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabelle
I get 800 miles out of a tank (#2 diesel). The fuel gauge needle does not budge until I hit 220 miles and 500 miles with 1/2 tank is normal.
WOW! You have an exceptional truck! The BEST I have ever seen was 23.7mpg at 55 to 60 mph. 20mpg for mine is about normal for my truck and I have gotten 25.4mpg two tanks full in a row. MOST of the time I see about 300 miles or so to 1/2 tank, so the propane has given me about 5 mpgs. With the cost of propane I am not sure I am really saving anything, but the look on peoples' faces when I tell them I am getting 25+ mpgs out of my truck is priceless!
BTW, sorry about not posting sooner, but I have been working out of town for the last 24 weeks and the place I am staying has no internet. I can use my cell phone, but that is so weak there IF I am lucky enough to get online with it I don't have a good enough signal to log on anywhere including my site.
1996 2500 2wd auto club cab #100 plate 3/4 forward, AFC full forward, timing at 16.5*, Piers upgraded turbo, 15" glasspack muffler. Pyro, Boost, Tranny Temp Gauges 3.54 rears, air bags, 15k 5th wheel hitch for 28' Dutchmen, 16' aluminum boat behind
Now Running Propane!!
Old 09-14-2012

800/40=20 mpg

Nothing to brag about there.
Old 09-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris H. View Post
800/40=20 mpg

Nothing to brag about there.
I agree. However, I get over the 800 mile mark if I want to......From El Paso to Kerrville I average the 23-24MPG figure. I usually don't run the tank below 1/4 full.