Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 2nd Gen NON-DRIVETRAIN
Technical Info: 2nd Gen NON-DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of second generation (1994 - 2002) questions, solutions and upgrades. Please -- DO NOT post drivetrain discussions in this forum.

Old 08-23-2017

Default 01 ball joints

Have a slight movement(1/16 inch maybe) on my lower ball joints so I`m guessing a little is too much . Have been reading and watching u tube on replacing them myself and am confident it is something I can handle myself . Was all set to get the Moog joints ,and I started noticing many say NOT to use Moog on anything above 99 because of some tight steering issue , and many have said XRF brand ( with a million mile warranty ) Is a much better choice for my 01 ram .
Now I`m all confused about what I should get . Any advice y`all can give me that might help me make up my mind would be very much appreciated . Thanks , Larry
Old 08-24-2017
Administrator

My next set of ball joints are going to be rebuildable ones, they can also be adjusted to take up slack from wear. I will be getting them from these guys up here in Canada https://www.emfrodends.com/ they do ship to the US. The job is pretty basic, but it can a bit tough if your hub bearings and joints don't want to come out. A good ball joint press and bearing puller makes the job much easier.

sold
'96 2500SLT CC LB 2WD, KDP tabbed,100Hp Maxsticks,16* ,3k gsk,afc modded,#8 tst plate,62/70/13 turbo,4" MBRP exhaust,AFE stage III dry filter intake,autometer boost pyro, oil, tran temp,DSS,rebuilt diff & tranny w/billet triple lock TC w/lockup switch,1tn rear cylinders,ride rites on all 4 corners w/on board air,465k km. 330 hp 766 ft/lbs
Old 08-28-2017

I broke one Harbor Freight BJ press. The C-clamp snapped. Lucky I didn't get hit! They replaced it. The second one the C-clamp spread open and the screw therefore bent. And even with the 4wd package of tubes they never seem to fit right to the bottom of my knuckles. There's a machined area on the bottom that's not big enough to get any of the tubes in. Uppers usually come out fairly easy. Lowers get your beater/heater out!
30' Damon Escaper 5'er 12,000#
Old 08-30-2017
Administrator

You definitely need a good quality press for these joints they can be a bear to get out.

sold
'96 2500SLT CC LB 2WD, KDP tabbed,100Hp Maxsticks,16* ,3k gsk,afc modded,#8 tst plate,62/70/13 turbo,4" MBRP exhaust,AFE stage III dry filter intake,autometer boost pyro, oil, tran temp,DSS,rebuilt diff & tranny w/billet triple lock TC w/lockup switch,1tn rear cylinders,ride rites on all 4 corners w/on board air,465k km. 330 hp 766 ft/lbs