Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 3rd Generation: NON-DRIVETRAIN
Technical Info: 3rd Generation: NON-DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of third generation (2003 - 2007) non drivetrain questions, solutions and upgrades. Please -- DO NOT post drivetrain discussions in this forum!

Old 2 Weeks Ago

Default Hanging front fenders?

Bought new front fenders for the 07 months ago ... finally got around to getting them painted weeks ago and finally finally got around to hanging them on the '07 the other day...

So, any hints, tricks or tips on getting the gap and fit correct? Everything looks perfect except at the dip and ridge down near the bottom at the door gap. It's too tight there and rubs when I open and close. This is the bolt behind the door that has a fore and aft slot to adjust. I'm pretty sure I'm full forward on that bolt, but will check tomorrow. Washers and shims between the fender and this tab, maybe?

Other tricks? Somehow I have a feeling that this could turn into trying to get drywall tips and tricks on line ... "we can't tell you how to do it, you just need to practice until you get it".

Pics to follow...

truck is getting 2 new front fenders, new grill and de-badged and de-chromed.

SOLD 97 2500 4x4 ExtCab LB Auto; Isspro gauges (pyro, boost, tranny); 75hp Maxsticks, MaxTrans auto, KDP killed; BD DSS; 3rd gen 17" wheels; GM 1ton rear brake cylinders; Westin step bars; Pakbrake exhaust brake, TS Performance TC Lockup.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

oops, wrong section ... missed the right section by ( ... this ... ) much!
Attached Images
File Type: gif Screen Shot 2017-11-24 at 7.11.50 AM.gif (21.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: gif Screen Shot 2017-11-24 at 7.13.13 AM.gif (22.0 KB, 10 views)

SOLD 97 2500 4x4 ExtCab LB Auto; Isspro gauges (pyro, boost, tranny); 75hp Maxsticks, MaxTrans auto, KDP killed; BD DSS; 3rd gen 17" wheels; GM 1ton rear brake cylinders; Westin step bars; Pakbrake exhaust brake, TS Performance TC Lockup.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

I like the smooth look too .....took all them off the tailgate.
'06 2500 Metallic Black Thunder Road, QC, 4X4, G56 w/ SBDD, Home Brew in the gearboxes Volant CAI, ATS Arc Flow , Airdog 100, AFE 4" cat back, Smarty JR, Warn lock-outs, drilled and slotted rotors, HBS steering stabilizer, Pacbrake airbags, Bilstiens, RP 15W40 , 2 BIG BALLS (shift knobs) from Geno's, 5th wheel slider, step bars. The next mod is........

'74 Trans Am, someday car.......
'10 Wildwood 356 SRV
'15 Mid-life crisis
'98 Oytota Navalon
Old 2 Weeks Ago

If they're after market fenders, they're not always spot-on as factory ones, sometimes you have to make mounting holes oblong to give you that extra clearance. Also your door could have sagged a little over the years, how are the door hinge pin bushings, if you lift up on the door, is there any play. Its always best to leave all the fender bolts loose and start with the door gap first, start tightening those first, or you can get a thin slat of wood and a soft rag and put it between the door and troubled area and close the door just a little and tighten the fender bolt. Use the door as leverage .
To de-badge the emblems, I have used Dental Floss, the thin waxed type, just pull off a couple of feet loop the ends on a small piece of wood and keep working it back n forth behind the badges. The waxy floss wont scratch or mar the painted surface and its very strong. Don't use the ribbon floss, just the thin waxed, mint flavor is your option though. Hope it all works out for you.
1991.5 W250, onboard air, air shocks, air bags, cranked pump, 58mm billet c/w, 16cm t/h, BD Finned valve covers, aux eng oil cooler, aux fan cooled tranny cooler, BD Diff cover, 1 ton rear wheel cyls, Fisher snow plow
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Thanks for the tips ... will take those steps today. Yeah, they're after market fenders ... sold via Rock Auto but stamped Sum Ting Wong metalworks ...

I should have walked away yesterday before I broke stuff... broke the bolt from the bottom rear of the panel where it goes into the rocker panel. So, to get a straight shot to the stub, I had to take my step rail off. Proceeded to break that bolt off, but got the rail off. Drilled the broken fender bolt and then broke off the EZ Out. So, is that fastener a well nut or nutsert or similar? What's the suggested solution at this point?

Thanks!

Old 2 Weeks Ago

Send a message via ICQ to CaptainCummins Send a message via AIM to CaptainCummins Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainCummins

Can you post a picture of what you are dealing with?
Old 2 Weeks Ago

will do shortly. Went to the dealership and their parts diagram identified the captive nut as a NutRivet, so same kind of deal I dealt with on the skid plate for the jeep. But, they didn't have any in stock and I screwed up and didn't get the dimensions of the nut rivet.

Here's pics of the side I didn't screw up (can't get to the other side without moving the truck right now) so it doesn't show the base of the nutrivet nor the EZ Out broken off in it.

Sorry for the out of focus on the nutrivet but apparently I fail at camera work as well.

Last edited by gkainz; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:53 AM..
Old 2 Weeks Ago

greg I have always mig welded a nut to a broken stud slighlty cooled with air and backed out 90 percent first time even works in cylinder heads
2005 SLT 2500 3.73 Automatic, reg cab, spray in liner, stull runnin boards,12 volt winch power to bed, slide out loading ramp 4ft by 8ft.Bone stock silencer now MIA 95 gph fass adjustable pump and straw kit
06 dodge 1/2 ton 2wd gasser 4.7 l auto [replacement for giving the son the ford]
2014 Cadillac CTS 2.0 turbo