Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 3rd Generation: DRIVETRAIN
Technical Info: 3rd Generation: DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of third generation (2003 - 2007) engine and drivetrain questions, solutions and upgrades.

Old 06-04-2017

Default brake seize

hi folks .. it's been a while since i've been in .. i have an '03 2500 5.9 cummins and my front brakes are seizing up .. i've changed both calipers, rotors and pads .. bled the 2 front lines .. good for a day, then seized up again .. would it be a master cylinder failure? i'm really stuck, literally, in my driveway .. any help is much appreciated .. thanks .. dave
Old 06-04-2017

Could be a master cylinder or a collapsed brakeline...they may look good, but it could be deteriorated inside. Might let the fluid thru under pressure but will not let it release freely...kind of like a one way valve.
Old 06-04-2017

Did you clean all the rust, brake dust and crud off the sliders where the pads slide and put a little never-seize on them? That can cause some sticking if left dirty and cruddy.
Old 06-04-2017

thanks pigiron .. yes i cleaned everything and the pads arent just scraping they actually stopped the truck .. had to get it towed .. i'll try replacing the front lines and see what happens there .. thnx
Old 06-04-2017

Maybe just crack them open and see if the piston releases, or crack the line open at the master cylinder. Could save you some money. If both wheels are seized, I doubt both lines are shot, too much of a coincidence. Check to make sure the flexible lines arnt in any way twisted or pinched when you did the brake job or maybe the rotors are too thick or the pads are the wrong ones. Air in the lines....re check everything. Probably something real simple.
Old 06-05-2017

pigiron .. i just remembered that i made a mistake a few months back whereby i accidently added maybe a quarter cup of wrong fluid in the cylinder .. power steering fluid .. i used a turkey baster to try and remove it .. could that have caused the problem? ..
Old 06-06-2017

Could have caused the seals in the calipers to swell and not let the pistons retract. The o rings are sensitive to different fluids. That could be it....if so the o rings in the caliper need to be replaced.
Old 06-06-2017

thanks pigiron, are there any diagrams here on site that show the brake system including the master cylinder? also would it have been affected, needing replacement?
Old 06-07-2017

It would have affected the cups in the master cyl first as they are sensitive to fluids other than what they are designed for.they are probably swollen and enlarged too. You should disconnect the lines at the calipers and see if brake fluid passes thru.