Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > General Diesel Topics > Oil, Filters, Lubricants and Fuel Additives
Oil, Filters, Lubricants and Fuel Additives NEW! A forum to discuss your experiences, recommendations, and technical knowledge of diesel grade oils, lubricants, and fuel additives. Please, no FUEL questions in this section.

Old 03-24-2015

Default switch to synthetics

I am thinking about switching to a synthetic oil in my 01 Dodge , but there are many out there to choose from .I am wanting to get more time between changes and want the extra protection they say synthetics offer . How do you make a educated choice on which one to go to ? I tried a search on the matter but didn't find anything . I have 150,000 miles on it and want to make it last a lot longer . Any thoughts ?
Old 03-24-2015
Amsoil Sponsor

AMSOIL all the way & EaO80 oil filter.
www.dieseloilspecialties.com
sales@syntheticoilspecialties.com
1-888-887-9052

SUPPORT YOUR SITE SPONSOR
Old 03-24-2015

Agree w/Herb

2 '05 2500 4x4,QC's 48RE,3.73,Limited Slip,Plow Prep,Linex,ROKK,Afe 2 & Amsoil fluids (Boss 9'2" V-blades )

#1 SMARTY cr(SW3),TOYO/AT2's 285-70/17E's,Quad Commander,TransGo shift kit,Prodigy,Fold-a-cover,60 gal RDS aux tank,Corsa exhaust,FASS95/95 3 micron,Mag-Hytec DD tran pan,Bilsteins.
Pull a Cameo 5er (8800 lbs empty)

#2 SUPERCHIPS flashpaq,BFG/AT's TA 315-70/17's,& MBRP

Knowledge: Truth apprehended
Understanding: Truth comprehended
Wisdom: Truth applied
Old 03-24-2015

I have been thinking about AMSIOL after seeing some post by Herb . I have a few new fleetguard filters . Can they be used with synthetics ? I hate to just throw them away .
Old 03-24-2015
Amsoil Sponsor

You can use the fleetguard filters. After you used them, just switch to the AMSOIL EaO80 oil filter it's had a recommended change interval of 15,000 miles / 1 yr for severe service or 25,000 miles / 1 yr. for Normal service intervals.
1-888-887-9052

Old 03-24-2015

Thanks Herb . I am going to check your web page and if I go this route I will contact you to see how to order . My next oil change will be coming up soon .
Old 03-26-2015
Administrator

I switched my '03 over to 100% Amsoil and i use the ea080 filter with no regrets. I do oil analysis every 15000 km' and change my filter every 4 months. I have a thread in this section showing all of my results http://www.dieselram.com/showthread.php?t=200911
I wanted to see how long i could go before i got a recommend oil change result.

sold
'96 2500SLT CC LB 2WD, KDP tabbed,100Hp Maxsticks,16* ,3k gsk,afc modded,#8 tst plate,62/70/13 turbo,4" MBRP exhaust,AFE stage III dry filter intake,autometer boost pyro, oil, tran temp,DSS,rebuilt diff & tranny w/billet triple lock TC w/lockup switch,1tn rear cylinders,ride rites on all 4 corners w/on board air,465k km. 330 hp 766 ft/lbs
Old 03-26-2015

Thinking about the same on my newly acquired '07. What would be the recommendation on Oil Analysis report ... report now on the oil that's in it (nonsynthetic - almost due for change by miles/age) as a baseline, then switch over, or oil/fluid change first, then baseline OA with fresh oil?

I'm thinking a fresh oil OA would be worthless ... it's fresh, of course it's a clean report?

SOLD 97 2500 4x4 ExtCab LB Auto; Isspro gauges (pyro, boost, tranny); 75hp Maxsticks, MaxTrans auto, KDP killed; BD DSS; 3rd gen 17" wheels; GM 1ton rear brake cylinders; Westin step bars; Pakbrake exhaust brake, TS Performance TC Lockup.
Old 03-26-2015
Amsoil Sponsor

Greg if your getting close to a oil change, and you want to see if you can increase your oil drain interval or just see if there are any wear metals etc do a oil analysis. Or just change oil and filter at the OEM recommended interval.

With my customers using AMSOIL, that ask me I just tell them you can either do a oil analysis when you get close to your oils recommended mileage or time, Severe duty or Normal interval on the oil OR just change the oil and filter. Most change oil and filter, due to their happy going the 2X to 3X the OEM interval.
1-888-887-9052