Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > General Diesel Topics > Tires and Wheels
Tires and Wheels This forum is for tire technical discussion . Here you will find critical info what works and what may not.

Old 02-03-2007

Default Tire rack?

I've never used Tire Rack before, and just started poking around on it. How does this work? Do they ship the tires to you and then you find a place to mount and balance? (oh for the days of my youth with the full shop, tire machine, etc...) How receptive are the tire shops to mounting and balancing a tire you didn't buy from them? I would think they might be a bit grouchy about a lost sale?
Thanks!

SOLD 97 2500 4x4 ExtCab LB Auto; Isspro gauges (pyro, boost, tranny); 75hp Maxsticks, MaxTrans auto, KDP killed; BD DSS; 3rd gen 17" wheels; GM 1ton rear brake cylinders; Westin step bars; Pakbrake exhaust brake, TS Performance TC Lockup.
Old 02-03-2007

Default Re: Tire rack?

W/ shipping then having to pay for balancing, and mounting the price will come very close to about what you would pay localy. I never had a problem finding a shop to mnt. & balance the superswampers I use to run. It is usually after the sale that it pays to buy locally. The tire shop I used would give free balancing on the tires I bought from them. Once I had my tires mounted that I ordered the service stopped there. Unless you are buying a tire that is special order, see what kind of deals the tire shops have, and you can probably even get them down on the price to better reflect the TireRack price. Then you'll still get better help w/ tire warrenty issues, balancing, and rotation.
98 24v club cab dually. BHAF w/ homemade heat shield, 5" stacks, rebuilt trans w/ triple disk torque converter, headache rack, Nerf bars, 285/75/16 , farm hand bumper, 6" off road lights, Edge juice w/ attitude, 8X8 flatbed w/ underbody toolboxes, Dana 60 front, dana 80 rear w/ limited slip, 3.55 gears, 97 fuel filter housing. 228k miles, and still going strong.
Old 02-03-2007

Thanks - I like to support the local merchants where possible. Just have heard all these references to Tire Rack, so thought it was the cat's meow ...

SOLD 97 2500 4x4 ExtCab LB Auto; Isspro gauges (pyro, boost, tranny); 75hp Maxsticks, MaxTrans auto, KDP killed; BD DSS; 3rd gen 17" wheels; GM 1ton rear brake cylinders; Westin step bars; Pakbrake exhaust brake, TS Performance TC Lockup.
Old 02-03-2007

TireRack is a good place to search for tire you want. A lot of good info on there, and customer reviews.
98 24v club cab dually. BHAF w/ homemade heat shield, 5" stacks, rebuilt trans w/ triple disk torque converter, headache rack, Nerf bars, 285/75/16 , farm hand bumper, 6" off road lights, Edge juice w/ attitude, 8X8 flatbed w/ underbody toolboxes, Dana 60 front, dana 80 rear w/ limited slip, 3.55 gears, 97 fuel filter housing. 228k miles, and still going strong.
Old 02-03-2007

I checked all the sites for the BFG 285/70R17 T/A KO's, and found them from $189 to $219+. My local Big O tire quoted them at $200.98 each. Either way it's plus mount and balance, but no shipping from the local guy. I have not shopped around locally yet, maybe I can beat the Big O price. I will buy local myself.

I used to buy all used tires from a shop that's long gone (no mounting service). Great deals, and never got any flack from the people who mounted them for me. Tires at 30-50% off just because they were driven around the block a few times was great for me at the time (young with no cares or money). The only drawback is that you buy what they have, not what you want.
My first Diesel: A Light Khaki 2006 2500 QC SLT 4X4 SWB with Elect. Shift, Auto, 3.73, Big Horn, Anti-Spin Diff. Added In This Order: Chrome grill inserts | Stainless step bars | Bully fuel door | Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller | Line-X | Undercover tonneau | T-Rac racks | Rubber bed mat | Bilstein shocks | BFG 285/70R17 T/A KO's | Rear Wheel-Well Liners |
Old 02-03-2007

I bought a set (6) Yokahama Geolander Plus LT235 85 16LT's. Had a local shop mount and ballance. The price for mounting and ballancing was the same for me as if I had bought them there. The price I saved on the tires was almost half, including the shipping. I live in an area without a lot of choices so, the Tire Rac was deffinately a good deal for me. [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laughing.gif[/img]
1997 Ram 3500 Club Cab Dually SLT 5.9l Cummins
Old 02-03-2007

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gkainz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've never used Tire Rack before, and just started poking around on it. How does this work? Do they ship the tires to you and then you find a place to mount and balance? (oh for the days of my youth with the full shop, tire machine, etc...) How receptive are the tire shops to mounting and balancing a tire you didn't buy from them? I would think they might be a bit grouchy about a lost sale?
Thanks! </div></div>
How far are you from discount tire chain?
I know up here they won't be undersold by Tirerack. Just walk in with the tire price including shipping.
Old 02-04-2007

I have a Discount Tire just around the corner, also Costco - got the best price for tires for my motorhome there a few years ago.

Old 02-05-2007

Costco has a tire sale going on, $60.00 off a set. They have this a few times a year. I've used Tire Rack a couple times, they were the cheapest and had costco mount, balance and install for $16.00!!
04 Laramie (H) 2500 HO QC 4X4 48RE 3:73 LS Putco Boss Bars LineX AFE Stage II Silver Stars 956 Moto's high idle ROKK sensor FASS MagHytec Diffs & DD trans pan

The Second Amendment is only vague if:
1. You cannot read and comprehend the English language
2. Choose to selectively alter the meaning of "the people" from amendment to amendment
3. Have never read any of the writings of the Founders

Anything else is a willful effort to twist the meaning of the Constitution to fit an agenda, or profound stupidity."