Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > General Diesel Topics > Tires and Wheels
Tires and Wheels This forum is for tire technical discussion . Here you will find critical info what works and what may not.

Old 01-16-2007

Default Tire History.

1941. To preserve Americas resorces a law was passed from addding spare tires to new vehicals. Because of the war rubber was in short supply. Most people didn't notice since they were more conserned w/ restrictions on gas, and other products.
98 24v club cab dually. BHAF w/ homemade heat shield, 5" stacks, rebuilt trans w/ triple disk torque converter, headache rack, Nerf bars, 285/75/16 , farm hand bumper, 6" off road lights, Edge juice w/ attitude, 8X8 flatbed w/ underbody toolboxes, Dana 60 front, dana 80 rear w/ limited slip, 3.55 gears, 97 fuel filter housing. 228k miles, and still going strong.
Old 01-17-2007

Default Re: Tire History.

In 1973 the gas crisis forced gas from 30 cents to one dollar. Americans wanted there cars to be more economical. They found that a radial tire was far better than a bias-belted as far as fuel millage went. Bias-belted were far more popular before this point because people preffered the softer ride. By 1983 all new American cars came w/ radial tires. The slow pace in the change over was do to the cost of making steel belted radial tires. In 1977 Goodyear invested billions in radial tires. Currently Goodyear holds about 20 percent of the global market share in radial tires, both original equipment and replacement; Michelin, 19 percent; Bridgestone, 17 percent; Continental, 9 percent; Pirelli, 5 percent; and the others, 30 percent
98 24v club cab dually. BHAF w/ homemade heat shield, 5" stacks, rebuilt trans w/ triple disk torque converter, headache rack, Nerf bars, 285/75/16 , farm hand bumper, 6" off road lights, Edge juice w/ attitude, 8X8 flatbed w/ underbody toolboxes, Dana 60 front, dana 80 rear w/ limited slip, 3.55 gears, 97 fuel filter housing. 228k miles, and still going strong.
Old 01-17-2007

Thanks Hamel & Hamel. You have a little one man show going here. The information is interesting. Say, do companies like ProComp have a tire factory (I would think it would be terribly expensive) or do they just design a tire and have it made by one of the big names?

Thanks.
My first Diesel: A Light Khaki 2006 2500 QC SLT 4X4 SWB with Elect. Shift, Auto, 3.73, Big Horn, Anti-Spin Diff. Added In This Order: Chrome grill inserts | Stainless step bars | Bully fuel door | Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller | Line-X | Undercover tonneau | T-Rac racks | Rubber bed mat | Bilstein shocks | BFG 285/70R17 T/A KO's | Rear Wheel-Well Liners |
Old 01-17-2007

Not sure. It is like the ferd owns cummins thing. [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif[/img] It isn't easy to tell who owns who. There are also a lot of off brand tires that are made by, and exactly the same as name brand tires. I'll see what I can find out.
Old 01-17-2007

Well, Hamel, as long as we're on the subject....

If there's one tire I trust implicitly, it's the Michelin XPS RIB LRE. But I can't find it in a 17...for SoCal driving conditions an M&S rated tire isn't neccessary on a 4x2 service truck; they tend to feather-edge from acceleration & braking forces. Rib treads don't.
06 D3500 DRW Big Horn QC 2WD, 3.73, G56, BFG Commercial T/As, SuperChips Flashpaq, Cab-high Skaug body, Sparton pneumatics, K&N drop-in, Sirius. Valair dual-disc. 4x4x36 Magnaflow exits ahead of RH duals. LEDs at all ICC positions. Green LED floods at shift console(so you can get yer brew...er, Coke...in the cupholder in the dark...)
96 Grand Marquis GS pillow barge, 59000 miles.
Whiskey for my men, vasectomies for my enemies.
Old 01-17-2007

The code on the side of the tire tells where it is made. The first two letters are where it is from. The last three are the date it was made. http://www.tirebusiness.com/subscrib....html?letter=A

I searched, and searched, and can't find any info. So I went straight to the source. Now lets see if they answer my email. Can anyone give me the code off the tire so I can figure this out.
Old 01-17-2007

Most michelin truck tires can be retreaded. See if you can get them retreaded w/ the tread you want. What size tire are you looking for in a 17" rim?
Old 01-18-2007

The first tractor wheels were all steel, and to add traction metal bars were added. When rubber tires came along the desing for traction was carried over. This lead to what we know now as the chevron, and nondirectional tread tire. The true first offroad tires. These tread designs have proven themselves to this day, and are still widely used on everything from farm equipment to military vehicals. Non dirrectional tread tires have seen sevice in every American war since WWII, and really proved there ability in Vietnam in the soft muddy trails. So next time you see a nondirrectional tire think of where it has been, and where it might go in the future.
Old 01-18-2007

Received email back from procomp they gave me a number to call. I'll call next wk when I get back.
Old 01-20-2007

ProComp tires are made by Cooper Tires Co.