Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 2nd Gen 24 VALVE DRIVETRAIN
Technical Info: 2nd Gen 24 VALVE DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of second generation (1998 - 2002) 24-valve engine and drivetrain questions, solutions and upgrades.

Old 04-29-2014
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to MAXTORQ Send a message via Skype™ to MAXTORQ

Ok going to beat a dead horse.

What HP are you going after?

www.maxtorqdiesel.com
Old 04-29-2014

5-600..... And am looking at twins after I iron out a few things in life this summer. I am sure I could go with the 4" and be fine, but doesn't the 5" have a deeper tone....? My dad's motorhome has a 5" exhaust and it sounds really nice, but I am not sure if that sound is because of the size of the exhaust or the length of it, since its a diesel pusher and dumps out right next to the engine.... I am thinking of going with stacks if I can figure out a way to run the crossover under the bed and not through it. I am looking at making a custom crossover out of square tubing with a heat shield (because of the clearance near the tank) and pop up through the front corners and get away from the "Y" in the middle of the been and two hot pipes going to both corners....
Old 04-29-2014
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to MAXTORQ Send a message via Skype™ to MAXTORQ

First off of your going to 500 then 5" will have to be the plan.

Second forget about running the stack crossover under the bed because you have space issues. IMO stacks are obnoxious. And you will get bored of them over time. That's me though.

Good 5 inch out the back or 5 inch into cool duals will sound great. Forget about how the motor home sounds, it won't be the same with your truck.

www.maxtorqdiesel.com
Old 04-30-2014

5" duals sounds good to me.....
Old 02-09-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali4niacoalroller View Post
I remember when I was putting a 3" dual exhaust under my Mustang I had to increase the size according to the Hp I was hitting, but yet maintain a enough back pressure or start losing power. So I am guessing the same holds true for our Cummins exhaust. What's the max Hp that you should be pushing through a 4" exhaust before you should be considering stepping up to the 5"?

I was also thinking about running stacks, and was wondering if anyone had any pics of how they ran theirs under their beds with heat shields between the tank and tubing. I saw a system a while back that someone put on their rig that used square tubing under the bed and capped the ends 45* the bottom of those ends. The reason for this is because I just want the stacks up through the bed in the corners so I can put chromed expanded metal around them to keep things from melting. I don't want the one hole and this exhaust running across the inside of the front of my long box..... I know its done and just want to see if anyone else has done it...
Not sure I get the part of the Mustang needing back pressure. Drag cars run open headers for the least amount of backpressure, to make the most power.

An engine is an air pump. The more fuel and air you get through it, the more power it makes.
Old 02-09-2016

I thought you lose your bottom end torque on a gasser if the exhaust is too big, but you gain more power at higher rpms, and vise versa with smaller pipe. I read somewhere that you dont really need 5" exhaust on a diesel unless you are 500 hp and up. I could be wrong.
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Heavy Duty, SLT Quad Cab short box, Bilstiens, levelling kit, BD Steering Box Stabilizer Bar, BD heavy duty swaybar links, BD double deep tranny pan, Air bags, Onboard air, Fisher Snow Plow, 35" BFG K02 Tires Edge moniter.
Old 02-10-2016

An engine is an air pump. The more fuel and air you get through it, the more power it makes. True story prostock, my son's Honda made plenty of horsepower...not enough torque to tighten the lug nuts on my truck....Torque MOVES things....horsepower is abstract.....
'06 2500 Brilliant Black Pearl Thunder Road, QC, 4X4, G56 w/ SBDD, Home Brew in the gearboxes Volant CAI, ATS Arc Flow , Airdog 100, AFE 4" cat back, Smarty JR, Warn lock-outs, drilled and slotted rotors, HBS steering stabilizer, Pacbrake airbags, Bilstiens, RP 15W40 , 2 BIG BALLS (shift knobs) from Geno's, 5th wheel slider, step bars. The next mod is........

'74 Trans Am, someday car.......
'10 Wildwood 356 SRV
'15 Mid-life crisis
'98 Oytota Navalon