Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 3rd Generation: NON-DRIVETRAIN
Technical Info: 3rd Generation: NON-DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of third generation (2003 - 2007) non drivetrain questions, solutions and upgrades. Please -- DO NOT post drivetrain discussions in this forum!

Old 03-27-2017

Default Wind Grabbed My Door... Damage

Unfortunately I wasn't paying attention and parked with the wind at my back during a severe storm. I didn't have a hand on the door when I opened it, and the wind grabbed it...forcefully opening it and running it up against the stop.

The door hinges were somewhat loose, so the door shifted (noticed due to air coming in at the top/rear of the cab where there was a gap between the door and weatherstrip.) The body shop adjusted the door so it is straight, but there's still a gap down where the lower/front side of the door nears the back/lower side of the front fender.

Body shop says the fender is damaged...probably $2500 to fix.

How would a torqued driver side front door cause damage to the front fender?

I don't want to sell my truck, but I worry that there' bigger damage at hand that may not be fixable without some sort of hack job that's going to ruin my baby.

Appreciate any thoughts on this. I'm gonna have to start paying attention to how I park on windy days... Thanks in advance for any useful replies.
Old 03-27-2017

Can't edit any longer, but to clarify...the driver door is in alignment with the latch and the rear quad cab door. The gap between the driver door and the front fender varies from maybe a quarter inch at window level to barely an eight of an inch at the bottom.
Old 03-27-2017

How are the gaps on the passenger side?
01.5,Red QC Sport SWB,HO,6spd,4x4,cowl hood, Drag Comp,4"ex., fuel press. gauge, boost&pyro gauges, bhaf, single Holley lift pump next to the fuel tank/13psi WOT, Vulcan Big Line, cheapo fuel cooler, Amsoil in the trans. & Valvoline in the pan, 62-65-.70A/R, ARP studs, kevlar/ceramic SD clutch, jammer 100's

Time to turn so's you don't burn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigreddog View Post
if I get new gutters every year I never need to clean them
True love is when she gives you the ham from her egg mcmuffin

Last edited by Clunk; 03-27-2017 at 09:45 PM..
Old 03-28-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clunk View Post
How are the gaps on the passenger side?
Dead even, just like the day the truck left the factory.
Old 03-29-2017

You might check with another shop and get their estimate.
01.5,Red QC Sport SWB,HO,6spd,4x4,cowl hood, Drag Comp,4"ex., fuel press. gauge, boost&pyro gauges, bhaf, single Holley lift pump next to the fuel tank/13psi WOT, Vulcan Big Line, cheapo fuel cooler, Amsoil in the trans. & Valvoline in the pan, 62-65-.70A/R, ARP studs, kevlar/ceramic SD clutch, jammer 100's

Time to turn so's you don't burn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigreddog View Post
if I get new gutters every year I never need to clean them
True love is when she gives you the ham from her egg mcmuffin
Old 04-01-2017

Sounds like when the wind caught it it torqued or sprung the bottom hinge had my door adjusted for same reason but have no gap,, fender ??? not my forte but I would doubt it just like you
2005 SLT 2500 3.73 Automatic, reg cab, spray in liner, stull runnin boards,12 volt winch power to bed, slide out loading ramp 4ft by 8ft.Bone stock silencer now MIA 95 gph fass adjustable pump and straw kit
06 dodge 1/2 ton 2wd gasser 4.7 l auto [replacement for giving the son the ford] went to my mother 2017 1500 5.7hemi 10,000 original miles

2014 Cadillac CTS 2.0 turbo