Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > General Diesel Topics > DieselRam Rigs
DieselRam Rigs Here is our very own spot to showcase your own rigs. Website size pictures only please (640x480) .

Old 10-19-2012

Default My '90 W250 Build

I guess every build has to start somewhere and I'm hoping this sub forum is an ok place to start it. I first looked at this truck a week ago, then again on Monday and I never thought to run a VIN check (such low miles why bother), but I decided that before I handed over any cash I probably should check it. Well I quickly discovered that the truck is not a W350 as the owner had claimed, it's a W250 (VIN code 2). I called him on it and told him I wasn't going to be buying it because it's not what I wanted and I was asked what it'd take for him to make the sale. I told him $500 of his asking price, so I decided what the heck I'm not gonna find a low mileage cummins Ram for $2500 anywhere else. So I went over and he brought out a big folder which contained every service record for the truck to include the original delivery paperwork. At this point I'm sold on the mileage being true especially since the last service slip has an 04/12 date on it.

Ffwd 3 days and got the title/registration paper work done on the truck. In the folder of information I found the original owners number so I called him to chat a little bit. He was very forth coming with information on the truck and told me about such items as the "dually conversion" and why it was done. Apparently he converted it a week after buying it because he claims that he needed a higher weight rating and adding the Duals gave him that. He would've bought the 350 but there wasn't any on the lot in 4wd and he had to have the 4wd. He also said that just this past April he was cleaning out the barn where he found the original bed (pulled off when the conversion was done) and sent to the scrapper (just my luck).

Regardless of the model disappointment I'm satisfied with the purchase, especially after talking to everyone who has ever owned the truck (2 titled owners) before me. With that said I'm gonna make the best of the situation and get it back to A1 road worthy condition. Here is how it sits right now, followed by the plans I've got for the truck. Stay tuned....

A new rear main seal is sitting in front of me now, and I'm looking into these "MAX sticks" I've read about but have yet to find anything (???). I've also located an 8' bed/tailgate/lights/bumper that I'm going to go look at and hopefully bring home tomorrow. A set of W200 16.5 wheels from a late 70s M882 dodge truck and some 33 x 12.5 x 16.5 BFG tires will handle the SRW fix. I'd love to use some newer 94+ aluminum 5 spoke wheels, but I've read the only way to do that is to use adapters which I don't like the thought of. A new Skyjacker lift (2"-4") will address any fatigue that the stock springs may be suffering from and I'll top it all off with a straight piped 4" exhaust.

Please feel free to weigh in (here or PM) with any issues seen with my plans. I'll update this as I progress. Thanks
Old 10-19-2012

"MAX Sticks" are injectors setup and provided by MAXTORQ. Check out his website and/or give him a call to help decide what you might want for this project.

www.maxtorqdiesel.com
Old 10-19-2012

I used this info from Dave's site to turn up Rastus,

http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/more_power/Power_ve.htm
01.5,Red QC Sport SWB,HO,6spd,4x4,cowl hood, Drag Comp,4"ex., fuel press. gauge, boost&pyro gauges, bhaf, single Holley lift pump next to the fuel tank/13psi WOT, Vulcan Big Line, cheapo fuel cooler, Amsoil in the trans. & Valvoline in the pan, 62-65-.70A/R, ARP studs, kevlar/ceramic SD clutch, jammer 100's

Time to turn so's you don't burn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigreddog View Post
if I get new gutters every year I never need to clean them
True love is when she gives you the ham from her egg mcmuffin
Old 10-19-2012

At least he converted the front wheels to duallys too. I hate dual rear wheels with single fronts.

2003 Honda Civic, 1.7 lit, auto, 2 door
2007 Dodge Caliber R/T. The wifes.
Old 10-19-2012

I love it as a dually. Would have jumped on it right away myself. The wheels you are looking at may be problematic though. That truck probably came with 3:07's . Check that out. If so the tall wheels will kill you on both power and fuel mileage. Far better in MHO to stay with 16's. But if you must, you need 3:73's. And you need much more tuning to make use of bigger injectors. They are only part of the equation. You got a nice platform for a build though !
Old 10-20-2012

Well I passed on the M882 wheels because I got a set of vintage Centerline wheels for "FREE" and the tires run me a mere $550 new so I couldn't pass that up. I'm not exactly sure what gears are in it (yet) but I know they are low so hope the 33s help me there. I know I'll have to get the speedo corrected which is something I'll have to add to the list. Damn I need to get some new lug nuts too, lol.

The truck bed was delivered this afternoon as well and I hope to get that on tomorrow. Now I need to find time to address that rear main leak.
Old 10-21-2012

Got the bed mounted and lug nuts will be here tomorrow so wheels will be going on tomorrow.

Old 12-29-2012

Front lift installed. Waiting on the new rear shackles from ATS so I can install the new rear springs. I have to say that the stock springs have definitely lived a long and full life. The main spring is actually arched in the wrong direction that's how worn out they were. For the front the 2" lift kit lifted the truck a total of 4 inches.

Before:

After:
Old 12-29-2012

You sure have a good start on your build. Looks sweet so far. I had a lineman buddy that had a 1st gen 250, dark blue, Kenworth air ride seats, straight piped, pump turned up, some sticks (can't remember if be put a turbo on too). That trucks ride was awesome due to the seats. His truck pulled really nice too
Old 12-29-2012

Very nice. Great start!

2003 Honda Civic, 1.7 lit, auto, 2 door
2007 Dodge Caliber R/T. The wifes.