Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 2nd Gen 24 VALVE DRIVETRAIN
Technical Info: 2nd Gen 24 VALVE DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of second generation (1998 - 2002) 24-valve engine and drivetrain questions, solutions and upgrades.

Old 02-12-2016

Default Raptor RP 100 fuel pump

Bought a 99 24 valve truck that has the factory pump replaced with the Raptor RP 100. Have had it for one and half years and maybe put on 3000 miles. My first Dodge diesel was a 97 and so fuel pressure was not much of a consideration with it. When first purchased the pressure readings were as follows. Turn key on and pressure rises to 15 - 17 psi, and drops maybe 5 psi. Start and they stay to around 12 psi and run down the road at same pressure (12 psi) and might drop a smidge on a hill. Lately, turn on key and pressure rises to around 15 psi, pump stops and drops to 7 - 8 psi. Start and pressure might be 10 psi. Run down the road and it reads 7psi, pull a hill or accelerate and it goes down close to 5 psi. I checked and the fuel pressure comes off the VP44. Don't see any leaks on the fuel hoses or connections. I am aware of the VP44 problem if adequate fuel does not reach that pump. Fuel filter the problem or are there other possibilities? Looks like the fuel cannister drops down away from the top. Probably a PITA replacement. Less than 140K on the truck. Stock, no chip on it, but appears there may have been one at one time, by the velcro sticker I saw. Seems to run fine, starts good and runs with authority but not quite the quickness of the 97 with a #10 fuel plate. Also it has the 5 speed and 4x4. Searched a bit for a thread but did not find an answer. Thanks for any opinions you might have.. JH
Old 02-12-2016

Where is that pump located Jim?
01.5,Red QC Sport SWB,HO,6spd,4x4,cowl hood, Drag Comp,4"ex., fuel press. gauge, boost&pyro gauges, bhaf, single Holley lift pump next to the fuel tank/13psi WOT, Vulcan Big Line, cheapo fuel cooler, Amsoil in the trans. & Valvoline in the pan, 62-65-.70A/R, ARP studs, kevlar/ceramic SD clutch, jammer 100's

Time to turn so's you don't burn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigreddog View Post
if I get new gutters every year I never need to clean them
True love is when she gives you the ham from her egg mcmuffin
Old 02-12-2016

The pump is just to the front from the fuel tank on the inside of the frame. Looks to me like the original fuel lines were replaced when the Raptor was installed. Probably, I'm guessing, the new lines were part of the pump kit. I'll see if I can find the receipt for the pump so I can get an idea of how many miles are on the Raptor. jh
Old 02-13-2016

Have you changed the fuel filter lately?
01.5,Red QC Sport SWB,HO,6spd,4x4,cowl hood, Drag Comp,4"ex., fuel press. gauge, boost&pyro gauges, bhaf, single Holley lift pump next to the fuel tank/13psi WOT, Vulcan Big Line, cheapo fuel cooler, Amsoil in the trans. & Valvoline in the pan, 62-65-.70A/R, ARP studs, kevlar/ceramic SD clutch, jammer 100's

Time to turn so's you don't burn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigreddog View Post
if I get new gutters every year I never need to clean them
True love is when she gives you the ham from her egg mcmuffin
Old 02-13-2016

Nope, the pressures seemed ok when I bought it and have only recently dropped as mentioned. I was concerned that something other than the filter might be the problem, but will make a new filter a priority and see if it helps. Will let you know when its replaced if that make the difference. Thanks. Jh
Old 02-14-2016
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to MAXTORQ Send a message via Skype™ to MAXTORQ

How many miles on the VP?

www.maxtorqdiesel.com
Old 02-26-2016

Don't know, but ass u me it is original, so 135K.
Old 02-26-2016

Not a reply, just additional info. I just finished doing this message and posted it but apparently to another thread, cuz it is not here. That should give you a hint that I am an ole fart. If you see something similar on another thread then you know what its all about. Got the filter replaced this afternoon and the pressure is up around 15 - 16 at idle. On the test drive I could not make it go below 13, so I'm happy with it unless someone thinks those pressures are lame. Let me tell you about my test drive. For you young whipper snappers that make no mistakes I want you to know what you have to look forward to. Yesterday I got the fuel filter and a new chain saw for firewood. Getting the filter canister filled was a bit disconcerting but I kept bumping the starter and it finally roared to life. My driveway is uphill to the street in front of our house. So, I pulled out and started my test drive around the block. When I got about half way around I decided to make a longer run but needed to go back by the house and close the garage door. OH oh, when I got to the house I notice a hammer and a roll of duct tape at the bottom of the driveway in front of the garage. I had gone all the way around the block with the tail gate open and tools, etc at the back of the bed and on the tail gate. Well I immediately knew I had to retrace my track around the block. As I rounded the first corner my neighbors wife pulled up in front of her house and her husband stuck his head out the front door, both waved at me and like a good neighbor I waved back. At the end of that block I stopped at the intersection of hwy 6, looked across the hwy and down a bit to notice an orange gallon jug of chain lube. Pulled over on the shoulder and retrieved my chain oil. Proceeded on around and when I turned back onto our street there was a screwdriver and 25' measuring tape. Got em and put them into the now closed bed. Pulled on up to the house and my neighbor wife stopped me. I turned off the cummins so we could hear each other amd she said " I have your chainsaw". Me thinks, how could she know it was my chain saw, it was brand new and had no id marks. Well she said she saw it in the middle of the highway and thought it would be a good idea to pick it up before it caused an accident, and when she drove up she told her husband who had seen it sitting on my tailgate on the first trip I made around the block. So, keep smiling but remember your day is coming. Not a scratch on the saw, kinda like 'nothing runs like a deer', no one builds them like Stihl. jh
Old 02-27-2016

I would have to disagree with my advanced age also I love Echo's LOL
2005 SLT 2500 3.73 Automatic, reg cab, spray in liner, stull runnin boards,12 volt winch power to bed, slide out loading ramp 4ft by 8ft.Bone stock silencer now MIA 95 gph fass adjustable pump and straw kit
06 dodge 1/2 ton 2wd gasser 4.7 l auto [replacement for giving the son the ford] went to my mother 2016 1500 5.7hemi 10,000 original miles

2014 Cadillac CTS 2.0 turbo
Old 03-01-2016

I have a 30yr old Stihl 028 that has been outstanding. The argument for buying was that the motor could be rebuilt. It has almost new compression and has always run except for the 1 time when it had sat for ~10 years. I pulled the carb and installed a kit. Now it runs again.

The only problem now is the metal thieves have discovered my secluded cabin on 60 acres and have begun carrying stuff off. I'll have cameras on it within the next couple of weeks. Just have to decide what system to buy. I don't want a monitored (by others) system because I don't like to be spied on. Anyone know of a good system?

Back on topic, the VP overflow valve opens at 14#. I don't know whether it starts opening at 14# or is completely open there. One theory says that when the overflow is flowing the fuel is moving and cooler than were it to be sitting.

I'm at 13# idling and it doesn't drop below ~12 under load with stock injectors.
2000 Quad Cab,Longbed, NV4500, 410 Gears, 4X4, ISSPro gauges, Thuren 3rd Gen Trackbar (beautiful), AGR Steering Box - box works - NOPE, spoke too soon. Never AGR again. 2 dumped fluid & lost brakes & steering, 4th is too loose. AGR = pp quality control & long wait for replacement (doing something different. Will update with what works), DSS Steering Brace, AirDog 100 = 13# solid, Rusty Doors (POR15 at the bottom for now covered with color match Rustoleum)