Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 2nd Gen 24 VALVE DRIVETRAIN
Technical Info: 2nd Gen 24 VALVE DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of second generation (1998 - 2002) 24-valve engine and drivetrain questions, solutions and upgrades.

Old 04-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXTORQ View Post
Guys if we are wrapping foil around wires like people put foil on their head down in Roswell New Mexico hoping to keep the alien bugs from attacking you then your nuts.

Let's find out what the problem is a fix it.
Ever see how they shield instrument and speaker cables from interference so the local truckers CB doesn't bleed in on the sunday sermon??

They put a layer of FOIL in the wire and call them shielded cables.

I did track down and print a solution from ATS that involves running 2 new wires and cutting one,
basically running the APPS wire to the ECM and to the PCM instead of through the ECM to the PCM,
that was my next option.
Also found several folks who said that one didn't work for them but a similar solution fron suncoast did.
I never found a copy of that one.

There's also the option of mounting a toggle switch on the dash that locks the TC.....

I would have to agree with Nigel though, my truck has run better, in many ways, the last 3 days than it has in MANY months!
Stock, until...
My Other Truck is a Fire Engine!!

Last edited by smokediver; 04-27-2012 at 09:50 PM..
Old 04-27-2012
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to MAXTORQ Send a message via Skype™ to MAXTORQ

I can tell you first hand I have never ever band aid fixed any truck that had these sorts of drivability issues. You find the problem and you fix it pure and simple.

How would think If you brought me your truck and I temp fixed it with Renolds Wrap?

Or maybe it had to come back to my shop six times for the same issue?

Sorry but this boy dont fly that way.

www.maxtorqdiesel.com
Old 04-28-2012

Did the condition of "gear" hunt appear gradually over time or just appear suddenly? Has any one disconnected the harness from the computers and checked condition of the harness insulation and grounds? If pro car guys remember when you got an alternator for certain Ford products in the late 80' and early 90" they gave you a alternator pig tail also. Was the wire or connector failing? You didn't reroute anything you just changed the pigtail and 8 or so inches of wire. Electronics can degredate over time and grounds turn into resistors, diodes can become wires......
'06 2500 Brilliant Black Pearl Thunder Road, QC, 4X4, G56 w/ SBDD, Home Brew in the gearboxes Volant CAI, ATS Arc Flow , Airdog 100, AFE 4" cat back, Smarty JR, Warn lock-outs, drilled and slotted rotors, HBS steering stabilizer, Pacbrake airbags, Bilstiens, RP 15W40 , 2 BIG BALLS (shift knobs) from Geno's, 5th wheel slider, step bars. The next mod is........

'74 Trans Am, someday car.......
'10 Wildwood 356 SRV
'15 Mid-life crisis
'98 Oytota Navalon
Old 04-28-2012
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to MAXTORQ Send a message via Skype™ to MAXTORQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfueljockey View Post
Did the condition of "gear" hunt appear gradually over time or just appear suddenly? Has any one disconnected the harness from the computers and checked condition of the harness insulation and grounds? If pro car guys remember when you got an alternator for certain Ford products in the late 80' and early 90" they gave you a alternator pig tail also. Was the wire or connector failing? You didn't reroute anything you just changed the pigtail and 8 or so inches of wire. Electronics can degredate over time and grounds turn into resistors, diodes can become wires......
This is true. Fords cure to a bad connector that cause the vehicle to burn to the ground.

www.maxtorqdiesel.com
Old 04-29-2012

It has gradually gotten worse over the past year.
I've been looking for the culprit for about that long.
When I changed the alternator last year it disappeared completely for a while then gradually came back.
It had finally gotten to be a constant problem.

I've cleaned plugs and greased them with dielectric grease, checked and adjusted the apps which did nothing, cleaned many cables at both ends, checked for codes numerous times, and was about ready to change the governor pressure sensor.

Like I said before, I would've been thinking BS myself if it hadn't happened to me,
but it DID work, and all the other deeper stuff did not.

This may not be the final word on the issue,
but I would have to say it definately narrows down the source of the problem.
Stock, until...

Last edited by smokediver; 04-29-2012 at 09:40 AM..
Old 04-29-2012
Administrator

Too much dialectric grease on the terminals & it can act like an insulator. I 've always put it around the connector & on the rubber seal, try to keep it away from the terminals.
2000QC,SLT,SB,4x4,Intense Blue,Auto,4.10,DSS,AFE Megacannon PRO GUARD-7,silencer ring MIA,Edge Comp-pump wire untapped,Rip's 4in Fair Shake Exhaust,Isspro EVs fuel,boost,pyro,FASS 95/150, S/S '03 trackbar bracket, Thuren '03 trackbar, HTS Ultimate Duty trans w/ billet input & output, 89% Suncoast convertor, 150HP MAXsticks

'06 Liberty CRD, Inferno Red Crystal Pearlcoat, GDE ECO tune

'12 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT, Bright Silver Metallic

'98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
Old 04-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokediver View Post
but it DID work, and all the other deeper stuff did not.

This may not be the final word on the issue,
but I would have to say it definately narrows down the source of the problem.
i cover my race cars ACD (Advanced Control Devise) lenco shift control with foil, it works to stop RFI's (radio frequency interference) from the magneto.
1999 3500 4WD Quad cab. 4" exhaust, ATS exhaust manifold, draw straw, Suncoast Transmission and converter, BHAF, ring?, DTT noise filter, pillar post gauges, low fuel pres warning lite, remote start, Black paint with chrome and stainless.

4WD record holding PSI D Screwcharged Sand Funnycar

1000 Arctic Cat powered Pro ATV.

**SOLD** 2001 3500 SLT 4WD Air Dog 150 with draw straw. Ring? MBRP 4", Quadzilla NIB not use yet, bone stock and sweet!

03 4WD Black 4 door, 305 HP bone stock
Old 11-22-2015

Resurrection!!!!!!

Additional note....one bad battery will cause some real P.I.T.A. shifting issues.
One new battery, all gone away.

Tractor wouldn't crank one day so I swapped the battery for one in the truck.
Thought a good charge might fix it....nope.
Over a month and constant "gear hunting".
Changed the battery...all good again, with the shifting that is.

Still got a funky VP causing timing issues, but it's still running.
Just don't want to take it too far....
Stock, until...
Old 11-22-2015

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXTORQ View Post
I can tell you first hand I have never ever band aid fixed any truck that had these sorts of drivability issues. You find the problem and you fix it pure and simple.

How would think If you brought me your truck and I temp fixed it with Renolds Wrap?
Hey!!!! I am offended, if your going to do a band aid solution make sure you spell it correctly. It is "Reynolds Wrap"

John Reynolds
STOLEN: '98 Ram Dually quad cab; 4X4; auto with mystery switch; 4:10's; BHAF; 4" MBRP exhaust; 3K Governor spring kit; #5 plate; timing @15.5; 63/65/14 turbo; 90 hp injectors; Isspro pyro, boost & tranny temp gauges; DSS steering stabilizer; adjustable heavy duty track bar, Snow Water/Methanol Injection Tow-Max System.
Old 05-31-2016

Mine turned out to be 2 of the diode circuits were fried in the alternator, I had it rebuilt and all is gone. Put a meter on the battery and switch it to A/C and see what you get. Mine was 10 times the allowable current which was confusing the tranny circuit.
2006 Yamaha XT 225