Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 2nd Gen 24 VALVE DRIVETRAIN
Technical Info: 2nd Gen 24 VALVE DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of second generation (1998 - 2002) 24-valve engine and drivetrain questions, solutions and upgrades.

Old 12-14-2015

Default Getting rid of isolator, quick question.

Hi Guys, well i'm finally tired of dealing with the isolator and topping off the antifreeze to keep the gauge working every couple months. So I'm taking it out. Quick question, can I just put a ball valve in place of the isolator and leave the poly line and push connect fittings to the gauge? or should I get fuel line and plumb it with compression or pushlock fittings? Thanks.
Old 12-14-2015
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to MAXTORQ Send a message via Skype™ to MAXTORQ

I would run it straight from pump to gauge. Run a -4 line and a snubber to dampen the pump surge.

www.maxtorqdiesel.com
Old 12-15-2015

I say yes on the snubber too. Have you tried using bar oil instead of anti freeze? Your gauge will come up slow, but it may make refilling it a once a year job
'99 2500 Sport, Ex Cab, Short Bed, Intense Blue. Loaded, Leather. FASS, Banks 4" turbo back, High Ram, waste gate. AFE, Injectors, Shift Kit, AR rims, Bed Rails, Lund Steps, 3" lift, Tints, Flares, ISSPro FP MP Pyro, Blue chips controller. Hotrod vp44
Old 12-15-2015

PS: I had one of those push fittings crap out on me this summer... Was glad I had the isolator in place. Also, drill a small hole in the bottom of the gauge pod so that if it goes, you'll know about it before it leaks all down the back of your dash.
'99 2500 Sport, Ex Cab, Short Bed, Intense Blue. Loaded, Leather. FASS, Banks 4" turbo back, High Ram, waste gate. AFE, Injectors, Shift Kit, AR rims, Bed Rails, Lund Steps, 3" lift, Tints, Flares, ISSPro FP MP Pyro, Blue chips controller. Hotrod vp44
Old 12-18-2015

thanks guys. i do have a snubber in place. Hoping to get that isolator out this weekend.
Old 12-19-2015

Well, I might have the lift pump going out. Maybe my problem wasn't the isolator, other than it being a PIA.

This all started a couple weeks ago when i had to top off the antifreeze in the isolator. When driving it would start at 14, then drop to 5. But sometimes at highway speeds, it would jump back up to 11-12 and hold. So I was assuming the isolator bottomed out again and pump was ok.

Changed the fuel filter, refilled isolator and line to gauge with antifreeze. Pressure holds longer at 14, but eventually drops to 5. Decided to get a fuel pressure tester from autozone to double check my pressures. Reinstalled the schrader valve on the IP test port and pressures all over the place. When truck starts it jumps up to 14-15, then falls to 10, then falls to 5 psi.

Moved to the test port on the back of the filter and it is jumping all over the place. Again starts at 14-15, then falls to 10, down to 5, back to 10, then sits at 5.

Any thoughts? If need to replace lift pump, i have a bunch of other questions as I want to get new injectors soon and possibly another computer (have removed Banks system). Thanks.
Old 12-19-2015
Administrator

Still running the stock LP?

www.maxtorqdiesel.com
Old 12-19-2015

yes. stock LP. I'm guessing around 165,000 miles on this one. original was replaced under warranty.
Old 12-19-2015
Administrator

Well IMO spend a few bucks and put a better pump on it.

www.maxtorqdiesel.com
Old 12-19-2015

That's what I figured. I know this is a loaded question, but if I want to upgrade/replace my injectors soon, still stock injectors on the truck, would i be able to go with the FASS DDRP or AirDog FRRP with larger injectors?

Tags
fuel pressure gauge, isolator