Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 2nd Gen 24 VALVE DRIVETRAIN
Technical Info: 2nd Gen 24 VALVE DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of second generation (1998 - 2002) 24-valve engine and drivetrain questions, solutions and upgrades.

Old 12-23-2015

Default fuel pump ?

Started my truck this morning and it was sputtering and jumping around like crazy . Looked at fuel pressure gage and it was zero . Shut it down immediately . I know when I pulled in the drive yesterday it was on 18 LBS because I remember looking .Had to leave and could not check anything . The fass DDRP is a little over a year old I think . Will have to check on that . Anyone know offhand what the warranty is on those things ? When I get back home in a couple of days I will find my paper work on it but was just wondering . I seems I remember it being warrented for more than a year if it was registered . Or does anyone have a suggestion what else it could be ? Just was a $hitty way to start the day . Larry
Old 12-23-2015

First I would do is bump starter to see if pump runs. Then pour in 5 gallons of diesel to see if fuel gauge even works. May be empty tank?
30' Damon Escaper 5'er 12,000#
Old 12-23-2015
Super Moderator

FASS Pumps have a recall about the check ball in them sticking. If you call FASS they will replace the check ball with the new updated check ball. I had the same problem. One thing you can do is remove the pump pull the cover off the back and remove and clean the check ball inside of it. This will help and make it better probably for a few months. They get worn and make sure you rotate the ball on the spring. This should help.

--SOLD--2001 3500 SLT SO, 2wd, NV5600

2000 VW TDI (56 MPG)

2012 Keystone Raptor 395LEV
Old 12-23-2015

It was running but no pressure . Also I didn`t hear it prime itself when I turned key on .I know there is fuel , just filled up .
That is interesting about the check ball . If I have to pull it I will take a look at it . I`m sure there is a fuse or something on the fuel system I can check to see if it might be that . What I don`t understand it if it`s a fuel problem why was it running so rough , like on three cylinders or something . I just hate it will be a couple of days before I can look at it .
Old 12-23-2015
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to MAXTORQ Send a message via Skype™ to MAXTORQ

How old is the VP44?

www.maxtorqdiesel.com
Old 12-23-2015

Was replaced about 4 years ago because the lift pump went south and I didn`t have a gage on it and it killed the injector pump , heck I didn't even know there was a fuel pump issue with dodge . Now I have a fass ddrp and a gage that I look at frequently to monitor pressure .
Old 12-24-2015
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to MAXTORQ Send a message via Skype™ to MAXTORQ

Next question.

Changed the fuel filter lately?

Don't waste your time looking for a fuse for the pump because there isn't one. ECM runs the pump. There is a relay and it's a fuel system shutdown relay.

www.maxtorqdiesel.com
Old 12-25-2015

Fuel filter , yes .
Got home today and went out to try it and it started just like always , ran smooth just like always , and had 18 lbs of fuel pressure , just like always . I`m sitting here trying to reason out what had happened and the only thing I can think of is maybe I didn`t wait for the wait to start light to go out , although I don`t know if that could have caused it to do like it did . I guess I`ll just have to drive it and see if it acts up again or if that was just one of those unexplainable things that sometimes happen . Wish me luck !
Old 12-25-2015
Super Moderator

Possibly that check ball. Mine did the same thing for a while until I changed it.

--SOLD--2001 3500 SLT SO, 2wd, NV5600

2000 VW TDI (56 MPG)

2012 Keystone Raptor 395LEV
Old 12-25-2015

I will certainly keep that in mind should it happen again . Thanks for the replies given . This is a great site with great people in it .