Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 2nd Gen 24 VALVE DRIVETRAIN
Technical Info: 2nd Gen 24 VALVE DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of second generation (1998 - 2002) 24-valve engine and drivetrain questions, solutions and upgrades.

Old 01-26-2016

Default at what cost?

OK I just got my truck back and have a price question. I think I know the answer but would like some opinions on the subject.

I knew I had a pinion bearing the needed replaced on my dana 80 I don't do rear end gear setups so I had to send it out. A buddy had asked me to let his shop have it because they were slow and needed the work and said their guy was real good at doing them.

So the truck went there and I'll cut to the chase. They replaced the yoke, seals and bearings shimed the diff. and 2 universals in drive shaft and new trans seal new pinion nut, reused my ring and pinion new gear lub (6qt).

How much for that work would be the average bill be? please keep it real, I will post my bills total after a couple reply. Also about how long does this take to complete from start, parts ordering to finish?

Thanks

Last edited by datec; 01-26-2016 at 07:02 PM..
Old 01-26-2016

I forgot to mention that my buddy just works there and neither of us were happy with the bill and they wouldn't budge even after I grilled them on it.
Old 01-27-2016
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to MAXTORQ Send a message via Skype™ to MAXTORQ

Need to be a little more exact on what parts were used. So details what seals and what bearings , how many of each.

www.maxtorqdiesel.com
Old 01-27-2016

just off the cuff that would bill out at 3 hours give or take at shop rate and parts what a lot of customers do not understand is this when I go to my local Napa store I buy a part for 18.36 but they show the list on that part is 38.49 that is the price most garages sell that part to the consumer, I am not standing up for the shop just stating a fact on parts markup
2005 SLT 2500 3.73 Automatic, reg cab, spray in liner, stull runnin boards,12 volt winch power to bed, slide out loading ramp 4ft by 8ft.Bone stock silencer now MIA 95 gph fass adjustable pump and straw kit
06 dodge 1/2 ton 2wd gasser 4.7 l auto [replacement for giving the son the ford] went to my mother 2016 1500 5.7hemi 10,000 original miles

2014 Cadillac CTS 2.0 turbo
Old 01-27-2016
Administrator

My dana 80 rebuild on my '96 cost me $2500.00 a few years ago. The bearings had wore through the differential cage.Only took them 3 days.

sold
'96 2500SLT CC LB 2WD, KDP tabbed,100Hp Maxsticks,16* ,3k gsk,afc modded,#8 tst plate,62/70/13 turbo,4" MBRP exhaust,AFE stage III dry filter intake,autometer boost pyro, oil, tran temp,DSS,rebuilt diff & tranny w/billet triple lock TC w/lockup switch,1tn rear cylinders,ride rites on all 4 corners w/on board air,465k km. 330 hp 766 ft/lbs
Old 01-27-2016

Pinion bearings, pinion seal, diff. bearings. they bought a shim/bearing kit yoke and seal reused my pinion and ring gear and my diff.. pulled my diff. cover and replaced bearings and seals in there. New yoke nut and seal and washer, new universals in drive shaft new trans seal for drive shaft, new u-joint clamps, new diff. cover gasket.

They lumped the parts on the invoice.
Old 01-27-2016

Oh yea their rate is $70hr and put the new shims in for setting up the rear end.

Last edited by datec; 01-27-2016 at 07:06 PM..
Old 01-28-2016

OK well here's what it took. Open the pumpkin and take the diff. out replace all bearings/races and seals including pinion bearing/s and seal replace yoke and nut replace shimes washers replace u-joints on drive shaft replace rear trans seal. My diff., pinion and ring gear were good they said. Replaced diff. cover gasket and u-joints clamps.

It took them 2weeks (was told they were real slow I seen that this past Fri.) And was billed for 10hrs work @$70hr total bill??????? $2000.00. I was quoted from another that worst case would include replacing the ring gear and pinion for $1500 total so I was ready for that when this shop got it but not only did not get a new ring gear/pinion but it cost $500 more!!!

So not being ready for that I had to pull out the card I gave them the 1500 cash and put the overage on the card they said they had to add 4% to the difference for the CC fee!!!!!! I argued the bill and charge but they weren't flinching which made me think they could just lock it in and start storage charges or something hell at this point my mind was racing like mad and felt like I was totally played by everyone including the so called buddy that was no help with the billing they knew what I was quoted from the other shop.

A billing example is the bearring kit, I was charged $498.00.

the yoke, yoke seal, nuts, washers, u-joints, straps and bolts, I was charged $445.00

Tailshaft seal, $39.00

6qts diff. fluid, $51.90

Diff. Gasket, $14.00

Shop supplies, $54.00

Tow to shop, $40

I didn't want to sway anyone's opinion on a fair price for the work when I first asked but how do you feel about what I paid? I don't feel good about it but if it is fair then so be it but something just didn't smell right about this one. I'm looking for a truthful opinion the money's spent so it is what it is I just feel like I was taken advantage of given the other quote I had.
Old 01-29-2016

start court action now IT IS ILLEGAL TO CHARGE A FEE TO PAY BY CREDIT CARD and after that avoid them like the plague wow what a bill
2005 SLT 2500 3.73 Automatic, reg cab, spray in liner, stull runnin boards,12 volt winch power to bed, slide out loading ramp 4ft by 8ft.Bone stock silencer now MIA 95 gph fass adjustable pump and straw kit
06 dodge 1/2 ton 2wd gasser 4.7 l auto [replacement for giving the son the ford] went to my mother 2016 1500 5.7hemi 10,000 original miles

2014 Cadillac CTS 2.0 turbo

Last edited by pullinforme; 01-29-2016 at 08:55 AM.. Reason: not complete
Old 01-29-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullinforme View Post
start court action now IT IS ILLEGAL TO CHARGE A FEE TO PAY BY CREDIT CARD and after that avoid them like the plague wow what a bill
I'm not sure that's completely correct. Our county charges a 2-3% fee for credit card transactions to renew license plates... and our .gov would NEVER bend the rules, right? /end sarcasm

SOLD 97 2500 4x4 ExtCab LB Auto; Isspro gauges (pyro, boost, tranny); 75hp Maxsticks, MaxTrans auto, KDP killed; BD DSS; 3rd gen 17" wheels; GM 1ton rear brake cylinders; Westin step bars; Pakbrake exhaust brake, TS Performance TC Lockup.