Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 2nd Gen 24 VALVE DRIVETRAIN
Technical Info: 2nd Gen 24 VALVE DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of second generation (1998 - 2002) 24-valve engine and drivetrain questions, solutions and upgrades.

Old 05-31-2016

Default Power!!!

Hey guys, let me ask you something. I have a 1999 Dodge 2500 4x4 with the Cummins and an automatic. I've owned the truck since 2001 and I bought it with 80,000 miles on it. I now have 135,000 and the truck has been absolutely flawless except with the occasional torque converter unlock and lock hunt that some of these truck have done. Anyway I've been wanting more power but I've been worried about adding one of the programmers that will add 80 to 100 hp. As you know the Automatic is the weak link in these trucks. I was wondering what you know about torque converters. Someone told me that if I changed the converter to a high performance one my truck probably would have more than enough power to pull our 25ft travel trailer. Right now there is almost zero additional power while pulling on a flat and less than that on any incline. The trailer weighs 7,000 and I just want a bit more power. What's your opinion?
2006 Yamaha XT 225
Old 05-31-2016

Gauges, bigger injectors, get that transmission up graded....and Twins.
7000lbs should be on problem for your truck.
'91.5 somewhat stock w-250 4x4 5sp Except for the EVIL twin turbos, K&N filter, two small shopping cart dents in right door, Monroe SENAS-TRAC rear shocks. cheap $35 air horns. KDP tabbed. South Bend clutch 13-1.25 Con O. Max stixs, 4" Rip Exhaust,No Muffler, Old Smokey fuel pin. EGR rear disc. Engine breathed on by Max.
My Black Cloud Is Back!...
2012 3500 crew cab Ram 6spd manual, 8' box
I'm just so tired of being tired
Now on facebook
Old 06-01-2016
Super Moderator

I agree with Big. Twins will not hurt at all. However as i am finding out right now with my truck is you can have all the power in the world but that doesn't make the truck tow like a freight train. There is an extremely fine balance between power and towing. Too much fuel will equal way to high egt. With twins you for sure wont have the problem with egts but twins come with their own headache. You should head stud other wise if you stay a 40psi with twins what was the purpose. Twins flowing that amount of air is just as good as good single turbo setup. These trucks will pull spectacular for years to come if they are done right. I agree with BIG and by no mean am discrediting anything he has to said. You have to pick a goal and then once you pick that goal stick to it and build to it. But for sure start with gauges and transmission. Get the basics then go big.

1. Gauges
1.5 LIFT PUMP (FASS) number one Killer of your VP44 Bad Lift PUMP PRESSURE THIS KEEPS THE VP44 COOL
2. Transmission or clutch and input (you being auto transmission MAXTORQ)
3. Injectors
4. Comes with the above part but some sort of box (Smarty or TST or example)
5. Turbo or Turbos
6. With the above maybe head work.
And so on....

See where this goes LOL.

But as you see by the bold comment FASS should be in my opinion number one with gauges.

Any questions ask away.

--SOLD--2001 3500 SLT SO, 2wd, NV5600

2000 VW TDI (56 MPG)

2012 Keystone Raptor 395LEV
Old 06-01-2016

To make power you have to burn fuel, keeping temps down is always a good idea.....Exhaust upgrades help move heat away from the engine and turbo components. 7k trailer is well within your trucks capabilities....It isn't the towing, it's the stopping. Good luck.
'06 2500 Brilliant Black Pearl Thunder Road, QC, 4X4, G56 w/ SBDD, Home Brew in the gearboxes Volant CAI, ATS Arc Flow , Airdog 100, AFE 4" cat back, Smarty JR, Warn lock-outs, drilled and slotted rotors, HBS steering stabilizer, Pacbrake airbags, Bilstiens, RP 15W40 , 2 BIG BALLS (shift knobs) from Geno's, 5th wheel slider, step bars. The next mod is........

'74 Trans Am, someday car.......
'10 Wildwood 356 SRV
'15 Mid-life crisis
'98 Oytota Navalon
Old 06-01-2016

4 inch exhaust, BHAF, bigger injectors from MAXTORQ. Works good for me. A little smoky at time, though. LOL Oh, and get those valves adjusted. 190* thermostat from Cummins also helped. Get rid of the stock lift pump.
30' Damon Escaper 5'er 12,000#