Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 2nd Gen 24 VALVE DRIVETRAIN
Technical Info: 2nd Gen 24 VALVE DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of second generation (1998 - 2002) 24-valve engine and drivetrain questions, solutions and upgrades.

Old 06-11-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXTORQ View Post
Don't think you have a pump problem but rather a tank problem.

At 3 pm today take the fuel cap off and see if you get a woosh of air.
That is what I was thinking. When I dropped my tank to install the draw straw there was all kinds of garbage in the bottom of the tank. That stuff can clog the pick up tube and/or screen. Also, did or does your truck have an in tank lift pump?
Old 06-11-2016

This morning I tried opening the valve and turn key on ....no difference. No the lift pump is not in tank. The FASS DDRP I bought bolts right to the motor where the original was. I did not even hear the lift pump come on but it must have because it climbed to 2 whole pounds. Monday I will squeeze closed the return line and try it to see if it pressures up , which would mean the overflow/return valve is working or not.
Old 06-11-2016
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to MAXTORQ Send a message via Skype™ to MAXTORQ

Here's the reason I ask about the tank. First off the tank has two vent on top of the tank. If the vent become clogged from mud or the occasional mud dobber. Then the tank can not breath. It pulls a negative on the tank, no fuel pump will be able to push or pull in this scenario. And as cougar stated above the there is a screen at the bottom of the fuel module when they become clogged then you have no pressure.

www.maxtorqdiesel.com
Old 06-11-2016

Quote:
Here's the reason I ask about the tank. First off the tank has two vent on top of the tank. If the vent become clogged from mud or the occasional mud dobber. Then the tank can not breath. It pulls a negative on the tank, no fuel pump will be able to push or pull in this scenario. And as cougar stated above the there is a screen at the bottom of the fuel module when they become clogged then you have no pressure.
OK. I understand what you are saying. It might be worth it to go ahead and drop the tank and clean if needed. At least I would know if that was the problem or not or if the screen on pickup tube was clogged up. I wonder if I could just blow with compressed air back into the tank then try to cycle the pump ?
Old 06-11-2016
Administrator

Won't net you anything. There is a small check valve in the bottom of the module that won't allow air back.

www.maxtorqdiesel.com
Old 06-12-2016

Quote:
Won't bet you anything. There is a small check valve in the bottom of the module that won't allow air back.
OK. Thanks
Old 06-12-2016

The fuel pump has two wire's going to it which I guess is a hot and ground. How do you determine which is which if you want to test voltage to the pump.
Old 06-12-2016
Administrator

Those wires come from the ecm. During initial key on you will only get around 9 volts. Bump the starter then you will get 12v.

www.maxtorqdiesel.com
Old 06-13-2016

Quote:
Those wires come from the ecm. During initial key on you will only get around 9 volts. Bump the starter then you will get 12v.
Am I right in them being a hot and ground ?
Old 06-13-2016

Here`s what I checked today . The guy at FASS told me to wrap a rag around the overflow/return line ( where it changed to rubber) and crimp it shut and try to pressure up . He said if it did the overflow valve wasn`t closing . Well there was no change . So next I checked that there was power to the pump and there was . About 8.6 on initial key on and a little over 12 when I bumped starter . So now I`m thinking , like suggested, the pickup filter in tank must be stopped up . Not really wanting to drop the tank I unhooked tank line at inline filter and put a small hand vacuum pump on it and immediately started pulling out diesel , so I don`t think the tank screen is clogged . Now I`m thinking it MUST be the spring and check ball ( even though FASS said it was not that ) , or else the pump just bit the dust . Anyone else have any thoughts on what my next try should be ? I don`t guess it would hurt to pull the pump and just look inside to see what it looks like but I sure don`t want to not knowing what to look for .