Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > General Diesel Topics > Tires and Wheels
Tires and Wheels This forum is for tire technical discussion . Here you will find critical info what works and what may not.

Old 07-29-2008

Default 35's or stock

I prolly know the answer to this question already, but... I am going to take a trip from TX to SC. I have stock Mich 265/70/17's Load E running at @75psi on it now. I also have a set of 35's that are BFG's. They are rated D and I run them at about 50psi. I will only stop for fuel, so would I get better milage with stock tires or once the truck was rolling along would I see better milage from the 35's? I figure the stock set up, but maybe the taller would take less fuel to push them in the long run?
Old 07-29-2008

Default Re: 35's or stock

Stick with the stock ones. I tried the 'bigger tires equals lower rpms so better mileage' thing, and it didn't help at all. The extra weight of the big tires puts more load on the engine which will make it burn more fuel.
Old 07-30-2008

Might depend on what gearing he has also, but I would say the stockers will have less rolling resistance so they will be better. Plus why would you want to wear down 35" bfgs on the hwy. Go stick those in the dirt, and have some fun.
98 24v club cab dually. BHAF w/ homemade heat shield, 5" stacks, rebuilt trans w/ triple disk torque converter, headache rack, Nerf bars, 285/75/16 , farm hand bumper, 6" off road lights, Edge juice w/ attitude, 8X8 flatbed w/ underbody toolboxes, Dana 60 front, dana 80 rear w/ limited slip, 3.55 gears, 97 fuel filter housing. 228k miles, and still going strong.
Old 07-30-2008

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hamel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Might depend on what gearing he has also, but I would say the stockers will have less rolling resistance so they will be better. Plus why would you want to wear down 35" bfgs on the hwy. Go stick those in the dirt, and have some fun. </div></div>

YEAH!! What he said!!

96 Dodge 2500, 4x4, Auto, new project