Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > General Diesel Topics > Tires and Wheels
Tires and Wheels This forum is for tire technical discussion . Here you will find critical info what works and what may not.

Old 08-13-2008

Default Dually Tires

I have looked and am unable to find any information and I guess I am taking the short cut by just posting my question, but maybe one of you guys can help. I was wondering what is the largest tire I can run on my truck and still have it usable. I do not mind the idea of spacers or anything like that, but I do pull, but I also go way down the beach and would like a better tire with higher flotation. Thank you very much for your help.

2006 Mustang GT, 26mpg-when the wife is driving it!
Old 08-14-2008

Default Re: Dually Tires

I was going to do 34 by 10.5 interco on the back and run 315 70 17 in the front on reg rims(removing the dually spacers on the front). But that would cause you to need 2 spares. Or wife on stand by with a jack and a tire. I have not done it yet because i have not yet robbed the bank.
Old 08-14-2008

Location: suffolk uk/Barril do Alva Portugal as much as possible

Hi,
I have just changed my tyres for narrower ones (standard dually size) because when I fitted my truck camper the bulge at bottom rubbed. even with max pressure.
So be aware that if you carry heavy loads, that you must be able to use HIGH pressures, and watch that tyres do not touch.
Nigel

2006 CTD 3500 dually 4x4 manual long bed---- NOW SOLD
1998 Lance 11,5 truck camper--- now cannibalised to make a cabin in central Portugal

2002 Niesmann+Bischoff Flair
Old 08-15-2008

I have ran both 265/70R17 and 285/70R17 on my 06 dually and my recommendations are as follows:

With 265's put them on and run it, no clearance issues at all.

If you want the 285's you will have to run a spacer between the rears or they will touch. I run mine at 80psi all of the time and they do touch lightly- especially when loaded, something the DOT does not like to see.
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Crewcab SRW 4x4, Silver, RamBox, Everything except DVD, Dick Cepek Fun Country LT285/70R17E Tires, Amp Research PowerSteps, Access Roll-up Box Cover and soon my Espar Heater with cellphone remote.

2009 Massey Ferguson GC2400 Tractor/Loader/Snowblower

2013 VW Touareg TDi, White, Full Load

2007 Haulmark 3329DS 45foot motorcoach on Freightliner Coronado, Detroit 515hp, Meritor 12sp auto shift, 10kw Onan generator, all the toys
Old 08-15-2008

That sounds good, where would I get and what size spacers would be best.

Old 08-15-2008

If you deal with a decent tire dealer they should have a line on spacers. I don't have any yet but will be soon.

Been quoted anywhere from $80 each to $400 each. Whatever the price make sure and get good quality ones, I have heard that the cheaper (cheaper aluminum ones) ones will fail (crack) under load.
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Crewcab SRW 4x4, Silver, RamBox, Everything except DVD, Dick Cepek Fun Country LT285/70R17E Tires, Amp Research PowerSteps, Access Roll-up Box Cover and soon my Espar Heater with cellphone remote.

2009 Massey Ferguson GC2400 Tractor/Loader/Snowblower

2013 VW Touareg TDi, White, Full Load

2007 Haulmark 3329DS 45foot motorcoach on Freightliner Coronado, Detroit 515hp, Meritor 12sp auto shift, 10kw Onan generator, all the toys
Old 08-18-2008

Sounds good, I have also been looking at maybe converting to a srw with a set of 37x13.5 toyo's on weld wheels from Kore performance. I do not pull a lot with the truck anymore, kind of turned into my play toy. I think that setup maybe a little better in the loose sand down the beach. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thank you very much.