Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > General Diesel Topics > Tires and Wheels
Tires and Wheels This forum is for tire technical discussion . Here you will find critical info what works and what may not.

Old 10-16-2008

Default tire rotation

I was just looking thru my owners manual. I was under the impression that when we rotate tirewe keep them rolling in the same direction. Meaning, dont swap pass front for drivers front, that will have em rolling in the oppisite direction which is bad for the steel belts. My manual says to take drivers front and put it on inside rear pass side(dually i am referring too) But doing this with out turning tires aroundon rim will have them roll the wrong way? should i not always keep them rolling same way? it also says to rotate rear outers to oppisite sides??
not what i was thinking?
Old 10-16-2008
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to MAXTORQ Send a message via Skype™ to MAXTORQ
Default Re: tire rotation

Well the right fron would effectively become the left rear outside wheel . Still rotates the same direction. The Left front would become the right rear outside tire.

Now... the right inner would become the right front , and the left inner would become the left front.

Clear as mudd? [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif[/img]

www.maxtorqdiesel.com
Old 10-16-2008

so you change 4 at a time or all 6? I guess i could do 6 and have them all roll the same way as original but be on different spots, but how much you wanna bet i get em all in the wrong place? Fortunately they are tires not hand granades so i wont be too bad off? wow, gotta think about this...
Old 10-16-2008

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: melmount</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Meaning, dont swap pass front for drivers front, that will have em rolling in the oppisite direction which is bad for the steel belts. </div></div>

I don't think that held true for the last 20 years or so unless you have some really old rubber.

if the tire is one that shouldn't be swapped it would be marked with an arrow on the side showing direction of rotation.

Right from the manufacturer.
http://www.michelinman.com/tire-care/tire-saving-tips/
Old 10-17-2008

I wish this was true, it may be, I kind of dont want to rotate the rears, My pass front wears a but on outside edge. I leveled the front end and should probably use an off set ball joint. I want to just swap front tires, wear the other front even. Then replace just those 2. I have a new spare so I would only have to buy one tire later.
Any body else think its cool to just swap fronts and have them roll in an oppisite direction?
thanks guys
Old 10-17-2008

I called the dealer and they said no worries, they are not directional??
Old 10-17-2008

Owners manual states:
Inside dual to the front
Outside dual to the inside
Front to the rear outside dual
STOLEN: '98 Ram Dually quad cab; 4X4; auto with mystery switch; 4:10's; BHAF; 4" MBRP exhaust; 3K Governor spring kit; #5 plate; timing @15.5; 63/65/14 turbo; 90 hp injectors; Isspro pyro, boost & tranny temp gauges; DSS steering stabilizer; adjustable heavy duty track bar, Snow Water/Methanol Injection Tow-Max System.
Old 10-18-2008

Old school way was not to change rotation. Deez was right about directional tires having an arrow, plus you can usually tell by the tread. It will make them last longer if ya keep them rotated. Also tire pressure is very important, especially on dual wheels.
03, 2500 HD, HO, 4 door, longbox, 6 speed, 4x4, Red, 4" straightpipe w/SS turndown tip, K&N airbox, super chip flashpaq, no silencer ring, gooseneck ball, Rhino liner, Luverne nerf bars, fuel and pyro guages, traction bars, tool box.

I am not a mechanic, I just play one at home.

IF THE GOVERNMENT OUTLAWS GUNS ONLY OUTLAWS WILL HAVE GUNS
I LOVE MY COUNTRY BUT FEAR MY GOVERNMENT