Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > General Diesel Topics > General Diesel
General Diesel Discussion of diesel topics not related to the Dodge Ram Diesel.

Old 03-26-2017
Amsoil Sponsor

Congrats ! Can't wait to see some photos.
sales@syntheticoilspecialties.com
1-888-887-9052

SUPPORT YOUR SITE SPONSOR
Old 03-27-2017

Well, it saddens me to say, I pulled the plug on that truck! The wife and I have been getting VERY educated on the issue of weights for trucks and info on the RV industry. The RV industry is being gobbled up by Thor, quality control doesn't exist and the majority of manufacturers, if not all, produce crap! It's who can polish the shiniest turd and sell it for the most $$! If you own a travel trailer, you will have problems! Slides break down, holding tanks labeled or plumbed incorrect, electrical issues, fit and finish issues, trim falling off, A/C's always breaking down, refers quit working, awnings breaking or falling off the coach and the list goes on.. For now, we couldn't see bringing ourselves to going into this at about $150K for a new truck and trailer and having issues with the trailer. That would sour me! Then, to think of selling a perfectly good 04 HO with no miles on it, so to speak, and not having that one any more. So, plan B is to ready my existing truck to pull something in the 13K GVWR class and see what kind of experience that will become. If what our research shows, comes to fruition, we are only out a lessor trailer, dump it and never look back. The only reason for the new truck was to pull a heavier 5ver in a luxury line. The 2500 trucks, are bastard trucks that cant pull ****! What you can pull is of even lessor quality and amenities than those in the higher GVWR's!
Anyway, the color was Bright White with Sport package 3500 with Aisin trans, Air bags, Bucket seats 28H Laramie pkg. yada yada yada, loaded! Sun roof and all! to see it, it is stock #70373X
04 Laramie (H) 2500 HO QC 4X4 48RE 3:73 LS Putco Boss Bars LineX AFE Stage II Silver Stars 956 Moto's high idle ROKK sensor FASS MagHytec Diffs & DD trans pan

The Second Amendment is only vague if:
1. You cannot read and comprehend the English language
2. Choose to selectively alter the meaning of "the people" from amendment to amendment
3. Have never read any of the writings of the Founders

Anything else is a willful effort to twist the meaning of the Constitution to fit an agenda, or profound stupidity."

Last edited by 45Auto; 03-27-2017 at 01:45 AM..
Old 03-27-2017

Sorry to hear of your not getting the truck.
'91.5 somewhat stock w-250 4x4 5sp Except for the EVIL twin turbos, K&N filter, two small shopping cart dents in right door, Monroe SENAS-TRAC rear shocks. cheap $35 air horns. KDP tabbed. South Bend clutch 13-1.25 Con O. Max stixs, 4" Rip Exhaust,No Muffler, Old Smokey fuel pin. EGR rear disc. Engine breathed on by Max.
My Black Cloud Is Back!...
2012 3500 crew cab Ram 6spd manual, 8' box
I'm just so tired of being tired
Now on facebook
Old 03-27-2017
Super Moderator

Sorry to hear about the truck... You are correct that unless you go into the luxury lines of fifth wheels you will not get a good quality. This is a the typical quality vs quantity thing. I have owned 4 campers (2 Travel and 2 fifth wheels). Currently I own a 2012 Raptor. I have had my fair share of problems( 2 AC, some water heater issues and landing gear issues). As for the 2500 thing. They can pull and pull just as much weight as there bigger brothers. They just don't have the payload capacity. Usually don't have overload springs is all. Otherwise brakes, engine, and transmission is still the same.

I am sorry to hear about your truck. If you have any questions about the fifth wheel world feel free to PM me. I am currently living in one and have been for months with five kiddos. LOL.

--SOLD--2001 3500 SLT SO, 2wd, NV5600

2000 VW TDI (56 MPG)

2012 Keystone Raptor 395LEV
Old 03-27-2017

It's sad when eight or nine out of 10 reviews on any fifth wheel are negative. I also believe my truck is capable of pulling most stuff out there, but you are correct on payload ratings for a given truck. My issue I am concerned with, is being over weight, just because the vast majority of people hauling loads are overweighted, doesn't make it right. I completely understand the safety issues, but on the flipside of that coin if you were involved in an accident, even if it wasn't your fault, you will likely be charged with it because they will scale your rig and or trailer and place blame on you, then you become the example. A lot of liability! We have to now make choices, experiment with a lesser brand and lesser quality that will likely be overweight because of our taste and likes LOL. Which probably means we will have issues with whatever we buy LOL. I appreciate your response as being able to contact you with any fifth wheel questions, but you may regret that LOL. It's been an eye-opening experience learning about all the stuff. you are correct, there is no quality control and it's about the numbers pushing them out the door. And with Thor Gobley got the industry and I think recently buying up Winnebago I think they're going to continue to go south on quality. As much as I hate government intrusion, somebody needs to do something about the industry, if anything the safety of the framework of the trailer itself. And of rant LOL
04 Laramie (H) 2500 HO QC 4X4 48RE 3:73 LS Putco Boss Bars LineX AFE Stage II Silver Stars 956 Moto's high idle ROKK sensor FASS MagHytec Diffs & DD trans pan

2. Choose to selectively alter the meaning of "the people" from amendment to amendment

Anything else is a willful effort to twist the meaning of the Constitution to fit an agenda, or profound stupidity."
Old 03-27-2017

In California, CHP doesn't enforce overweight rigs, only if you look stupid going down the road, say with a half ton truck pulling a 30 foot fifth wheel, you're getting pulled over.

Old 03-27-2017
Amsoil Sponsor

The Hi end Luxury 5th wheels are the only ones I'm looking at. Landmark, Cyclone, Road Warrior etc. I just came back from a large RV show and was very disappointed with the workmanship on most of these RV's .
sales@syntheticoilspecialties.com
1-888-887-9052

SUPPORT YOUR SITE SPONSOR
Old 03-28-2017

I rest my case!
All our research shows all these RVs are crap. Some will look pretty on the outside and inside, get them on the road and you will have a headach! This is sad! This is why we pulled the plug on that truck! I may be out my deposit and airfare, but saved the loss of a new 5ver and expense of a $65k truck! I like my 04HO that I now will keep. Although this 2500 can't pull sh:-, guess I just buy a shiney cheap turd and beat the sh@" out of it...

Old 03-28-2017

I like the Cyclone and the Forest River Vengeance lines....while Heartland is a Thor subsidiary I believe they are one of the better ones.....I've owned a Forest River Toyhauler for near 6 years and it hasn't been too bad.
'06 2500 Brilliant Black Pearl Thunder Road, QC, 4X4, G56 w/ SBDD, Home Brew in the gearboxes Volant CAI, ATS Arc Flow , Airdog 100, AFE 4" cat back, Smarty JR, Warn lock-outs, drilled and slotted rotors, HBS steering stabilizer, Pacbrake airbags, Bilstiens, RP 15W40 , 2 BIG BALLS (shift knobs) from Geno's, 5th wheel slider, step bars. The next mod is........

'74 Trans Am, someday car.......
'10 Wildwood 356 SRV
'15 Mid-life crisis
'98 Oytota Navalon
Old 03-28-2017
Super Moderator

I currently own a Raptor as mentioned in my signature. They are a luxury toy hauler or say they say. Everything is the same from the luxury to the bottom end in respects to appliances. With all of these RVs the main problems are with the appliances and other mechanical things (landing gear). I haven't really had any problems with the structure of these or interior (cabinets and stuff). With this being said. I have looked a lot right now at toy haulers as I am looking at maybe replacing mine. If I was to rank the top three build qualities from what I see they would be as listed.

1. Grand Design Momentums
2. Jayco Seismic
3. Close between Heartland Road Warrior and Cyclone

I didn't include the Mobile Suites toy haulers in there due to the fact they are about 150k and not in a lot of price ranges.

All of the components on these are all made by the same people (atwood, Lippert, ETC) its only the manufacturer and the speed in which they put them out that determines their quality.

--SOLD--2001 3500 SLT SO, 2wd, NV5600

2000 VW TDI (56 MPG)

2012 Keystone Raptor 395LEV