Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 3rd Generation: NON-DRIVETRAIN
Technical Info: 3rd Generation: NON-DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of third generation (2003 - 2007) non drivetrain questions, solutions and upgrades. Please -- DO NOT post drivetrain discussions in this forum!

Old 03-03-2018

Default Steering column wiring

It's me again.
Sorry I don't contribute much, I do lurk around about once a week and read all the new posts, I love this place.
So let me get to it... I have an issue, again. (noooo).
If I tilt the steering wheel too far down into my lap the heater blower stops blowing. Until yesterday, if I tilted it back up a bit it would start back up. I knew I was gonna hafta address this is sooner or later.
So I pulled the steering wheel cover off and found the wire bundle (with plug) that I could wiggle and get the blower to momentarily start. Unplugged the plug and discovered the top two connections in the plug are burnt looking. Not melty burnt, but black. Took a picture, but I don't know how to resize it to upload.
At this point, I'm guessing that one of the wires connected to those burnt connections is broken in the insulation do to all the tilting action of the wheel.
there does not seem to be enough room to splice these wires.
anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance,
Jake
Old 03-12-2018

I had sort of the same issue with my horn wire. It broke in that bundle right at the tilt area. As you mentioned not really enough wire there to splice it back together. So I made two splices with a new piece of wire in between . It was only about 2 inches really just enough to make two splices. Not a lot of room there.
However if I understood your post your wire is shot right at the plug? If so you might try tracing it back a few inches or so to see if you can find a break in the wire. It could be black from heat of trying to carry too much current on a few strands of wire that is broken farther downstream but can't get hot enough to melt due to the same reason.

Other than that about all I can think of is get the plug type go online and most of these plugs come apart one way or another and you can usually buy the individual parts for it and perhaps be able to insert two new pins into the plug after you have lengthened the wires a bit. Of course the hard part is finding out what type of plug it is so you can hunt the parts down. I doubt it is a gm styleconnector but might be a duetsch connector. Or maybe go to a salvage yard get that plug and cut it back a foot or so and splice all of them onto your new to you plug.

Sold
2001.5 2500 QC, DTT Auto, LB, 4x4, 3.54's, Cam,12v lift pump, Edge JWA, RV275's, Smarty, DOR Front Bumper, PDR HX-35, Carli 2.5 Pintop
Old 03-13-2018
Administrator

You really need to be careful with the steering columns that have air bags in them! There is a very specific way of getting into them so that they don't blow up in your face. I believe Maxtorq posted it on here a few years ago. Even static discharge can set them off.

sold
'96 2500SLT CC LB 2WD, KDP tabbed,100Hp Maxsticks,16* ,3k gsk,afc modded,#8 tst plate,62/70/13 turbo,4" MBRP exhaust,AFE stage III dry filter intake,autometer boost pyro, oil, tran temp,DSS,rebuilt diff & tranny w/billet triple lock TC w/lockup switch,1tn rear cylinders,ride rites on all 4 corners w/on board air,465k km. 330 hp 766 ft/lbs
Old 03-17-2018

Default results

Thanks for the replies, Barry and CC.
One thing I just despise is getting under a dash and finding jacked up harnesses. If I cant make it appear factory or at least ultra clean I won't mess with it.
In stead of experimenting to try to find the issue, (something had to make those terminals get hot) I took it to the stealer. Ours is pretty good if you babysit them. They charged me $129 to diagnose the issue. Heater blower motor pulling too much amperage melted down terminals in ignition switch, hence, scorched connector. I pulled the tape from the harness at the connector and I don't believe the wires or spade connectors are effected too much.
Result: Stealer wanted $604 parts and labor. I paid them $129 diagnostic fee, and picked up the ignition switch and blower motor at Advance for $125.
My labor is sort of free so I have $250 invested.
Savings: $354.
Thanks for the replies and I really appreciate all the good information on here, talk at you later.