Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > General Diesel Topics > General Diesel
General Diesel Discussion of diesel topics not related to the Dodge Ram Diesel.

Old 09-27-2017

Default Traded for a Ford, Well Kinda...

Howdy,

After driving Ram/Cummins trucks since 1998 I traded our 2014 3500 DRW for a Ford, well kinda, it has the F53 chassis. The wife and I are shifting gears which will make the process of traveling a bit easier so we traded the truck and toy hauler together for a 2018 Winnebago Sunstar 32YE motorhome.

The decision was largely inspired by the poor build quality of our Dutchmen Voltage and the nonstop major/costly problems it gave us. Of course the manufacturer (Keystone RV) provided no support. During the warranty period I had to fight to get things fixed that were clearly caused by sloppy manufacturing, not to mention the lengthy list of major repairs I made myself. The thing was literally falling apart setting in the driveway. We were 2 ˝ years into this and had to pull the plug on the nonstop misery, had to minimize our losses while we could. My take away from this is beware of purchasing an RV made by Keystone, your warranty means very little and quality is spotty at best in spite of the price tag.

I’ll be looking for another truck after the first of the New Year, most certainly an older model, or as I fondly refer to as a “beater truck”. Meanwhile I need to crank some miles on the motorhome. I’ll still be lurking.
Take Care
Bill T.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Winnie small.jpg (39.6 KB, 16 views)
3 dogs
2 horses
1 rabbit
1 Excedrin headache

Last edited by thompwil; 09-27-2017 at 06:55 AM..
Old 09-27-2017

if you cant get comfortable in that rig your standards may be too high lol
2005 SLT 2500 3.73 Automatic, reg cab, spray in liner, stull runnin boards,12 volt winch power to bed, slide out loading ramp 4ft by 8ft.Bone stock silencer now MIA 95 gph fass adjustable pump and straw kit
06 dodge 1/2 ton 2wd gasser 4.7 l auto [replacement for giving the son the ford]
2014 Cadillac CTS 2.0 turbo
Old 09-27-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullinforme View Post
if you cant get comfortable in that rig your standards may be too high lol
No kidding, the driver & passenger seats are more comfortable than they should be, hopefully I won't be tempted to nap at 65mph.. But that's what cruse control is for, right?
3 dogs
2 horses
1 rabbit
1 Excedrin headache
Old 09-27-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompwil View Post
Howdy,

After driving Ram/Cummins trucks since 1998 I traded our 2014 3500 DRW for a Ford, well kinda, it has the F53 chassis. The wife and I are shifting gears which will make the process of traveling a bit easier so we traded the truck and toy hauler together for a 2018 Winnebago Sunstar 32YE motorhome.

The decision was largely inspired by the poor build quality of our Dutchmen Voltage and the nonstop major/costly problems it gave us. Of course the manufacturer (Keystone RV) provided no support. During the warranty period I had to fight to get things fixed that were clearly caused by sloppy manufacturing, not to mention the lengthy list of major repairs I made myself. The thing was literally falling apart setting in the driveway. We were 2 ˝ years into this and had to pull the plug on the nonstop misery, had to minimize our losses while we could. My take away from this is beware of purchasing an RV made by Keystone, your warranty means very little and quality is spotty at best in spite of the price tag.

I’ll be looking for another truck after the first of the New Year, most certainly an older model, or as I fondly refer to as a “beater truck”. Meanwhile I need to crank some miles on the motorhome. I’ll still be lurking.
Take Care
Bill T.
Nice looking RV, but it's a gasser. My brother bought one similar to that one and loves it, but said if he could have a do over he would get a diesel. So if you want to put some miles on it bring it on over to my place.
'91.5 somewhat stock w-250 4x4 5sp Except for the EVIL twin turbos, K&N filter, two small shopping cart dents in right door, Monroe SENAS-TRAC rear shocks. cheap $35 air horns. KDP tabbed. South Bend clutch 13-1.25 Con O. Max stixs, 4" Rip Exhaust,No Muffler, Old Smokey fuel pin. EGR rear disc. Engine breathed on by Max.
My Black Cloud Is Back!...
2012 3500 crew cab Ram 6spd manual, 8' box
I'm just so tired of being tired
Now on facebook
Old 09-27-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigreddog View Post
Nice looking RV, but it's a gasser. My brother bought one similar to that one and loves it, but said if he could have a do over he would get a diesel. So if you want to put some miles on it bring it on over to my place.
The diesels were out of our price range by quite a bit. The V10 with the 6 speed tranny and 4:30 rear runs pretty good. I loaded her up with all our crap and full tank of water for a trip to the scales. Still performed well, I'm sure the mountains will be a bit different but that's the way it goes, can't let myself get into too much of a hurry. Probably won't be passing too many gas stations either. The 80 gallon gas tank is probably a clue for that.
3 dogs
2 horses
1 rabbit
1 Excedrin headache
Old 09-28-2017

Looks good, considered that same move myself once upon a time.....still not completely out of the question. 100% in agreement on the Keystone POS statement, never owning another one. Been fairly happy with my Forest River, so far anyways. Good luck and Happy RVing.
'06 2500 Metallic Black Thunder Road, QC, 4X4, G56 w/ SBDD, Home Brew in the gearboxes Volant CAI, ATS Arc Flow , Airdog 100, AFE 4" cat back, Smarty JR, Warn lock-outs, drilled and slotted rotors, HBS steering stabilizer, Pacbrake airbags, Bilstiens, RP 15W40 , 2 BIG BALLS (shift knobs) from Geno's, 5th wheel slider, step bars. The next mod is........

'74 Trans Am, someday car.......
'10 Wildwood 356 SRV
'15 Mid-life crisis
'98 Oytota Navalon