Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 2nd Gen 24 VALVE DRIVETRAIN
Technical Info: 2nd Gen 24 VALVE DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of second generation (1998 - 2002) 24-valve engine and drivetrain questions, solutions and upgrades.

Old 07-10-2006

Default Dodge 47RE Shift Help!

Hello all

I have a question concerning my 2001 Dodge 3500. It has a fair amount of modification, but it still have the stock transmission (ATS Five-Star Converter). The problem I am facing is this: All shifts under full throttle are fine, except for the 3-4. It completely drives through third, redlines, holds it there, and then hesitates a tad, then firmly shifts into fourth. It needs to shift about at least 3 seconds before it is currently doing...it completely stops pulling (out of RPM) before it shifts...

Is this a common problem with the 47RE with my combination?

Also, I have heard of some hot-rod diesels that have a push-button in the cab so they can essentially 'short-shift' the 3-4 shift because of the problems I am having...would this be an appropriate fix for me?

Thanks for all your help...

-Barry
2001 3500 Cab-and-Chassis 2 wheel drive 4-speed auto, Banks High-Ram Intake, K&N FIPK, ATS Five-Star Torque Converter, Edge Comp Box, Holset Super40, Custom Injectors 60% over stock fuel flow, FASS Fuel System, Custom 4-Link Rear Suspension, Custom Diamond Plate Flatbed

14.08 @ 98.6
2.07 60'
Old 07-11-2006
DieselRam's Tranny Guru

Default Re: Dodge 47RE Shift Help!

Its not a problem with the trans but rather the command from the computer. 4th gear is a direct command just like the lockup command. With some mods, if not most, the defuel RPM has been raised as a result from the mods. The 4th shift is supposed to happen at the point of defuel and allow the shift and then bring power back on. Mods to the engine allows the RPM to be reached faster than the expected defuel event for the shift. What happens then instead of having a soft defuel, it runs to the limit, defuels quickly and lays off waiting for the trans command for 4th gear to catch up. A better solution would be for the mods to not defuel at all, or defuel at about 3400 to 3500 RPM and have the shift made under full power. But because of liability issuses the boxes wont exceed the factory RPM defuel point but just take it to the edge of it. It creates a timing problem between engine performance and shifts. Using the switches to override the lockup and 4th gear commands is a simple and quick way to get around the issue without overrevving the engine. Finding a way to overwrite the software to make the trans shift into 4th gear earlier would be better. But thats not likely to happen, its just hasnt been on the front burner of the makers of mod boxes.
The mods I talk about here is for information purposes only. I experiment on my own vehicles but do not endorse the modifications that I make to my vehicles to be used on others. If you use this info that I talk about, you use it at your own risk and responsibility.

03 Dodge 4X4 quad cab Dually. Two travel trailers, 1 cargo trailer. Lots of ham radios. Call sign N5ZYK Tech class. On 28.300 to 28.500 around 10:00 AM to 2:00PM every sunday.
Old 07-11-2006

I've got the Edge 'Drag' Comp Box, apparently it has no 'defueling' claimed (Regular Comp at 2700)...

I've seen so many drag racing 24valves, and I just need to know how they get around this problem...what is the legitimate fix?
2001 3500 Cab-and-Chassis 2 wheel drive 4-speed auto, Banks High-Ram Intake, K&N FIPK, ATS Five-Star Torque Converter, Edge Comp Box, Holset Super40, Custom Injectors 60% over stock fuel flow, FASS Fuel System, Custom 4-Link Rear Suspension, Custom Diamond Plate Flatbed

14.08 @ 98.6
2.07 60'
Old 07-11-2006
DieselRam's Tranny Guru

If its going to redline and then hanging there, its defueled. Rev limit so to speak. Reving past redline and the trans will shift anyway without it 'hanging' at redline. Legit fix amounts to anyway to get past the problem. 24 valvers will rev to higher RPMs but with much more work than just add on mods. Thats why guys use the switches.
The mods I talk about here is for information purposes only. I experiment on my own vehicles but do not endorse the modifications that I make to my vehicles to be used on others. If you use this info that I talk about, you use it at your own risk and responsibility.

03 Dodge 4X4 quad cab Dually. Two travel trailers, 1 cargo trailer. Lots of ham radios. Call sign N5ZYK Tech class. On 28.300 to 28.500 around 10:00 AM to 2:00PM every sunday.
Old 07-18-2006

How do i get a switch to do so? Is there a kit available?

14.08 @ 98.6
2.07 60'