Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 2nd Gen 12 VALVE DRIVETRAIN
Technical Info: 2nd Gen 12 VALVE DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of second generation (1994 - 1998) 12-valve engine and drivetrain questions, solutions and upgrades.

Old 02-12-2004

Default 1996 Cummins B-Series diesel kill switch

Anyone know a good distributor for a kill switch for a 1996 dodge cummins diesel? Mine is hanging up BADLY, and I have to hold it up to get the truck to start.
Thanks.
Old 02-12-2004

Default Re: 1996 Cummins B-Series diesel kill switch

The problem is probably NOT the fuel shut off solenoid. There are three other things that fail much more often. There is a relay on the firewall close to the master cylinder. It's the large one. Swap another relay in it's place and see if that takes care of the problem. If it does then you need to get a new relay. There is a blue wire connected to the positive post on the driver's side battery. It is a fusable link. If it fails you will have no power to the pull up dircuit so no start unless you hold up the solenoid. The other possible cause is bad starter contacts. This one is serious because if the starter sticks it may burn up the fuel shut off solenoid.

You can test the fuel solenoid pretty easily. The three wire connector on top of the wires and hoses near the master cylinder is for the fuel solenoid. You need a couple of #10 wire test leads and a short test lead. There are three wires in the connector. The large white one is the pull up power. The large black one is the ground. The small colored wire is the hold coil. Connect the large test leads to the battery. Connect the small test lead to the large test lead that is connected to the positive terminal on the battery. Connect the large ground test lead to the ground on the connector leading to the solenoid. Connect the small test lead to the small colored wire on the connector. Then touch the large 12 volt test wire to the white wire on the connector. The solenoid should pull up and stay up when the large 12 volt test wire is removed. If it does then the solenoid is ok. Make sure that the solenoid linkage that connects to the injection pump is clean and is not stuck.

'95 2500 CC auto 4X4,3.54,Combo EGT/boost guage,trans temp guage,custom switch panel,PacBrake,TST #5,Piers 370s, DTT TC/VB,motorhome steps on both sides,Foldacover hard bed cover,Cummins chrome kit
Old 02-13-2004

Joe,
Thanks for the info, you really know your B-Series Cummins. I'll try exactly what you suggest.
I'll let you know how it turns out.
Again thanks,
TLS
Old 02-13-2004

Joe G,
Shouldn't I be able to check continuity on the fusible link wire?
Old 02-13-2004

Easier to get a heavy test lead and jump it. If the fuel solenoid works correctly then the blue wire is shot.

'95 2500 CC auto 4X4,3.54,Combo EGT/boost guage,trans temp guage,custom switch panel,PacBrake,TST #5,Piers 370s, DTT TC/VB,motorhome steps on both sides,Foldacover hard bed cover,Cummins chrome kit
Old 02-13-2004

FOUND IT!!!!!!
I took the relay off of a friends 97 truck, and put it on mine, and fired every time. The strange thing is, I plugged mine back in and it fired 5 or 6 times without any problem, then it started doing it again, (turning over without firing). Plugged my buddies back in, and it fired right up every time. Plugged mine back in and it wouldn't fire, (mouthfull huh). I'm convinced that this is the problem, question is, why would mine start several times with my current relay, then quit?? Have you ever seen a "lazy" or on again off again relay like mine is doing??
Thanks,
Thomas
Old 02-14-2004

I think I remember someone saying ou can get a relay at radio shack for alot less $$$ than at other places. Just match the ratings. Good luck, Kevin
97, auto, tow package, EGT, trans & boost gauge, 3K GSK, #10 plate, 4" exhaust, bilstiens, HTS performance race-tow hybrid tranny
2005 Passat TDI "mini" oil burner
Old 02-14-2004

You have dirty contacts in the relay so it makes sometimes and doesn't others. Some people have had good luck with opening up the relay and cleaning the contacts. The Radio Shack Relay will work. It is only rated for 30 amps so if you have a starting problem it may fail. Probably won't. Larry Buck sells a 70 amp replacement relay at http://www.fostertruck.com/dodge/default.htm . You may be able to find one at an electronics store. Dodge charges way too much for the relay.

Old 02-14-2004

th e 30 amp relay has smaller spades on it so u really wont get a good connection with it
97 3500 4x4 5.9 Cummins Duallie 4:10 Ratio 5 Spd 4" Turbo Back Exhaust One Towin Mother F@#%&*$