Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 2nd Gen 12 VALVE DRIVETRAIN
Technical Info: 2nd Gen 12 VALVE DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of second generation (1994 - 1998) 12-valve engine and drivetrain questions, solutions and upgrades.

Old 09-08-2004

Default Dana CTIS ??

The Dana/spicer team is now offering a Central Tire Inflation System (CTIS) like what is offered for the Hummer and Duece and a half trucks for the big-rig crowd. Has anyone ever seen this system adapted to a mini-dana axle like we have ?

The only way I can see is tap a air fitting at the differential, bore a 1/4" tunnel through the center of the axle, tap a rotating fitting at the spider gear-side running through to the axle end, then straight to a hollowed-out valve stem with a small counter weight on the opposing wheel end.

If you don't know, the CTIS allows you to push button adjust all 4-8 tires from inside the cab-full air-up, full air-down, highway, sand, or custom, with a small air gauge letting you know what the computer has adjusted your tire pressure to via your request. It has an in-cab display, central air compressor and air tubing running to each wheel, through the hub, connected to the wheel.

Anyone else have any ideas ?
97 3500 4x4, 22.5" Alcoa aluminum rims, 38" tires, 3.54 open diff, 6" stacks, 105 gallon 18-wheeler aluminum tank, straight piped, KDP tabbed, upgraded 5spd, Autometer Phantom pyro & boost (making 30psi), K&N, silencer ring removed. 205,000 mi =)
Old 09-09-2004

Default Re: Dana CTIS ??

They are an externally applied "monkey motion" swivel contraption that connects to the valve stem and then has a hose dangling to the fender and eventually to your compressor.

If you do anything where you drive off road, forget them or you will have all flat tires and broken hoses. If you use an armored hose, you then get the privledge of a ripped section of fender when the hose catches on something and it does not give. No bargain in any of this by my way of thinking.
Any comments, suggestions, or instructions offered by me only apply to off-road and non-emission regulated use. Anytime I ever used or may use reference to highway performance, it is purely as an academic reference only.