Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > General Diesel Topics > General Diesel
General Diesel Discussion of diesel topics not related to the Dodge Ram Diesel.

Old 03-13-2006

Default Dex-Cool Antifreeze

Well...just great...Spent close to $50.00,last year for Prestone dex-cool antifreeze for one of my collector cars...Did a search on the internet and found massive owners having major problems with the dex-cool antifreeze.From plugged rads to blown intake gaskets...Even seen a lawsuit being put together..I'm trying to find the website that even cummins is saying.....STAY AWAY FROM THIS STUFF.... [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif[/img]
1995 Dodge diesel(canola seed burner.No french fry smell,more like burning hair),234.3K miles, regular cab dually,4X4,5 speed,12V,4:10 gears,Wastegate blocked,Laser Cut DV,Advanced to 15 degrees,Polyurethane control arm bushings,BHAF,KDP Tabbed,Pyro & Boost,DSS,#10 plate,3K springs,215 injectors,rebuilt IP,running B100.

1978 Mercedes 450SL
1956 Chev 4 door sedan
1977 T/A 400,4-speed
Old 03-14-2006

Default Re: Dex-Cool Antifreeze

I use the Prestone orange stuff in my '97 Bravada. I flushed the Texaco Dex-Cool right after buying the thing and noticed lots of heavy solids that was explained to me by email as stop-leak pellets put in at the engine assembly plant...regardless, the plastic intake manifold gaskets fail whether you use the orange stuff or the green stuff. If you use composite or paper intake gaskets, I don't think you'll have any trouble....I have 138k on the original water pump and now a Felpro plastic intake gasket.
01.5,Red QC Sport SWB,HO,6spd,4x4,cowl hood, Drag Comp,4"ex., fuel press. gauge, boost&pyro gauges, bhaf, single Holley style lift pump next to the fuel tank...13psi WOT, Vulcan Big Line, cheapo fuel cooler, Amsoil in the trans. & Valvoline in the pan, Jammer 100's and 60-60-14cm hybrid,
Good used LL molar dental crown for sale. ARP studs
Time to turn so's you don't burn.
Old 03-14-2006

This is the first I've heard of this. Could this be why I have coolant in my oil pan on my little chevy? I parked the truck a month ago cause I didn't have time to work on it. Dreading pulling the top of the motor off.

So, it's prolly the intake and not the head gaskets?
Old 03-14-2006
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to MAXTORQ Send a message via Skype™ to MAXTORQ

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by 95diesel:
Well...just great...Spent close to $50.00,last year for Prestone dex-cool antifreeze for one of my collector cars...Did a search on the internet and found massive owners having major problems with the dex-cool antifreeze.From plugged rads to blown intake gaskets...Even seen a lawsuit being put together..I'm trying to find the website that even cummins is saying.....STAY AWAY FROM THIS STUFF.... [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif[/img] </div></div>The only way that Dex-Cool has a problem is if they do NOT get all of the green antifreeze out of the system. Then it will cause problems as it gels and clogs heater cores ,radiators. If it has blown a head gasket then the problem was there to begin with . [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif[/img]

www.maxtorqdiesel.com
Old 03-14-2006

I've used the stuff in my 99 Z28 since day 1 and have never had a problem. Same for my 98 Camaro and the two or three people I switched over to the orange stuff.

Like the above post, just don't mix green and orange and you'll be alright.
Old 03-14-2006

Sorry guys...but I also posted this topic in the wrong location.. here is the website of dex-cool problem.
http://www.sancarlosradiator.com/dex-cool_pics.htm
1995 Dodge diesel(canola seed burner.No french fry smell,more like burning hair),234.3K miles, regular cab dually,4X4,5 speed,12V,4:10 gears,Wastegate blocked,Laser Cut DV,Advanced to 15 degrees,Polyurethane control arm bushings,BHAF,KDP Tabbed,Pyro & Boost,DSS,#10 plate,3K springs,215 injectors,rebuilt IP,running B100.

1978 Mercedes 450SL
1956 Chev 4 door sedan
1977 T/A 400,4-speed
Old 03-14-2006

Yep, that looks like the stuff that came out of my little 4.3 and not long after the flush, the radiator developed a leak at the right side tank so it got a second flush. About 5 years later, I started losing coolant and found the intake manifold gasket leaking to the outside and then only after stopping the engine hot when the pressure reaches max.
The new intake gasket is a plastic Felpro so I'm hoping it's an improved piece although if it lasts 9 years like the first...well it'll get another new one with the valve job if I still own that piece.
I read a Northstar post on another site that when following the recommended maint. coolant flush, they also put in some genuine GM stop leak pellets as part of the job...
01.5,Red QC Sport SWB,HO,6spd,4x4,cowl hood, Drag Comp,4"ex., fuel press. gauge, boost&pyro gauges, bhaf, single Holley style lift pump next to the fuel tank...13psi WOT, Vulcan Big Line, cheapo fuel cooler, Amsoil in the trans. & Valvoline in the pan, Jammer 100's and 60-60-14cm hybrid,
Old 03-14-2006

Clunk...how many miles did you have on your 4.3 before you did the rad flush?

1978 Mercedes 450SL
1956 Chev 4 door sedan
1977 T/A 400,4-speed
Old 03-14-2006

It wasn't long after I bought it used, maybe 40k.
Old 03-14-2006

Send a message via AIM to ScottRacing Send a message via Yahoo to ScottRacing

what kind of collector car? Any LS1 or LT1 based motor will not have intake coolant leaks, as there is no coolant running through the intake. But as with ninja, we always replace orange with orange and green with green at my shop, some motors building as much as 900-1000RWHP. And either coolant cools just fine.

'94 Z28 11.1@ 128mph, 383 stroker, stock ported heads/intake, solid roller cam, 9" rear, 4.56s, stockish 6spd, all kinds of suspension, 8pt cage, still need to try the nitrous out! all work done by ME.