Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > General Diesel Topics > Towing/Hauling
Towing/Hauling Discussion related to towing and hauling with your diesel truck.

Old 05-01-2006

Default Increase Trailer Height - Reverse Shackle

Hi Guys,

I still have a small problem with the clearance between the bed rail and the 5th wheeler. Its not too bad. But if I could get 2 or 3 inches of hight on the trailer would be good. I've looked at flipping the axles, but that would raise the trailer maybe 8 to 10 inches. Don't need anywhere near that much. If I change my 15 inch wheeles for 16 inch wheeles, it would only give me 1/2 to a inch.

I was under the trailer this weekend looking at the springs, and here is my question.

Has anyone reversed the shackles on the springs?

I know when I was a kid, back in the 60's. We would take our cars and reverse the shackles and put bigger tires on the back, just to be cool.

To get back to my question, after looking at the spring set-up. Two axles, the front of the front axle is fixed.The rear of the rear axle is fixed. Between the two axles is a 10 or 12 inch bar with one bolt in center and with one spring shackled to each end. (shackles up) The shackles are 2 inches long so when flipped down would be four inches, but that is 4 inches on only one side of each axle, so it would only raise the trailer two inches.

Does this make any sence to anyone, or has anyone tryed this? I don't want to do this if its not safe.
04.5, 2500, Flame Red "Dragon", 2/WD, 48RE, 4:10, Quadzilla Commander, Xzillaraider 2 XZT, Rokk timing sensor, Banks High Ram Intake, Mechanical Oil Pressure Gauge, Holly Black, Navigation Sym, Firestone Air Bag, Hellwig Sway Bar, Spray/Liner, Factory SRT-10 Hood, Mag-Hytec Diff. & Tran. Keystone Bullet, Honda EU2000iA
Old 05-01-2006
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to MAXTORQ Send a message via Skype™ to MAXTORQ
Default Re: Increase Trailer Height - Reverse Shackle

Accually your not far off. Most trailer shops have a shackle kit you can add for the increased height . Shop around CampingWorld has them but I think you can find a better price at a small shop. [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif[/img]

www.maxtorqdiesel.com
Old 05-01-2006

Max, Thats good advice, but I'm having troble finding a reverse shackle kit for trailers, there is lots of them for cars and trucks. Camping World doesn't have one.
04.5, 2500, Flame Red "Dragon", 2/WD, 48RE, 4:10, Quadzilla Commander, Xzillaraider 2 XZT, Rokk timing sensor, Banks High Ram Intake, Mechanical Oil Pressure Gauge, Holly Black, Navigation Sym, Firestone Air Bag, Hellwig Sway Bar, Spray/Liner, Factory SRT-10 Hood, Mag-Hytec Diff. & Tran. Keystone Bullet, Honda EU2000iA
Old 05-01-2006

I am surprised at this....I note you have a 4x2.
06 Bright White Laramie 3500,DRW,4x4,Auto,5.9L CTD,3:73s,QC,LB,Leather,NAVSYSTEM,Sunroof.
Old 05-02-2006

I don't understand what two wheel drive has to do with my problem. (I'm not going to go there!)

I've been doing a search on line with no luck. I found a lot of places that sell the complete spring set-up or just individual peices. But no shackle kits to raise the height of trailer. If I can get some free time today I'll make a few calls to trailer shops. I know they well only tell me to flip the axles.

Where they sell the individual parts, I was looking at the taller or higher equalizer. I look at the spring system and if I just flip the shackles down. When towing and hit a bump, the equalizer turns, the shackles may flip back from the weight of the trailer. Now I'm thinking if I start changing parts of the spring system, I may mess it up. I don't want to make it unsafe.

I would appreciate any help I can get.
Old 05-02-2006

Al Corr

I just did the springs and things last year on my T.T. I think I can picture your idea... I'm not sure without looking if that EQ will still work correctly by flipping it.

I think its only about 3 bolts right? Why not at least spend 20 minutes and flip it, do both sides and see how it sits...then try SLOWLY dragging it around a parking lot....

at least you can tell if it'll work, it shouldn't take too long...and if it don't work...by experimenting you 'll be able to tell what you do and don't need.

BTW I found some stuff on Northerntool.com

I'm not sure if that stuff they sell is good or not.

let us know if you try and how it works out..
2003,HO,48RE,3:73,3500,SWB,quadcab4X4,gauges,FASS-2,larger fuel draw tube, fuel tank vent kit. MBRP 4"CoolDuals.
Old 05-02-2006

There was an article about it in Trailer Life Magazine a few months back. I would think with a 2WD your truck would set low enough. I pull a 32' 5ver. It has the reversal you are talking about (spring over) the springs are under the axel vice on top. The new spring perches can found the at Tractor Supply or order them thru Northern Tool. They are fairly cheap. If you are handy with a welder it is pretty easy.
2006 quad cab 4x4 auto, LWB , B&W Turnover w/ Companion 5ver, AEM Dryflow drop in, Auto Meter Factory Match Tranny, Boost, Pyro gages in a dash pod, Quadzilla Milage Max. USN Retired (SS)... there are 2 kinds of boats...submarines and TARGETS!!
Old 05-02-2006
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to MAXTORQ Send a message via Skype™ to MAXTORQ

Try this place Al. [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif[/img]

<a href="http://www.rvupgradestore.com" target="_blank">http://www.rvupgradestore.com</a>

http://rvwholesalers.com/

www.maxtorqdiesel.com
Old 05-03-2006

[img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img] Thanks Max, [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

I couldn't find anything on their web's, so I e-mailed each of them.
Old 05-04-2006

Received a reply from most of the 20 RV Parts webs sites that I e-mailed. They have nothing to incease trailer height. Give us a call and we will explain how to, or If you bring it in we will flip the axles.

I read Trailer Life Maganize all the time and don't recall reading that and don't keep old ones. Maybe I'll try their web.

Thanks All the for advice.