Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Archived Threads > Archive: Technical Info: 3rd Generation
Archive: Technical Info: 3rd Generation This forum has now been closed to replies and new posts, but can still be searched and read. Please post new threads in one of the new 3rd Gen technical Forums. Archive contains Technical discussions and questions relating to third generation (2003 - 2006) trucks.

Old 11-23-2005

Default Engine Block Heater

I bought my '06 Cummins Dodge, 3500 dually automatic in Arizona this fall when my Ford died. I live in Wisconsin where it gets at or below zero degrees. I just discovered that the truck doesn't have a engine block heater (don't use them in AZ I guess). How difficult is it to put one in at 20 degrees above zero?? Will I even need one?
Old 11-23-2005

Default Re: Engine Block Heater

all you need is the cord! find a cummins distributor/store. they are about 12.00 bucks there. the dealer will charge you about 30.00 bucks, if not higher!
Old 11-23-2005

Now that you have my attention, tell me more. Which side of the block is the heater located on? Does the cord simply plug on to the heater?

This sounds to easy. Don't you have to pull then engine and remove the crank shaft or something?
Old 11-23-2005

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by johenmar:
Now that you have my attention, tell me more. Which side of the block is the heater located on? Does the cord simply plug on to the heater?

This sounds to easy. Don't you have to pull then engine and remove the crank shaft or something?
</div></div>Pull the engine? - absolutely not. I dont believe they will ever sell a diesel without a block heater - just stop by Cummins and get yourself a cord. If you are in Wisconsin - you will want to get a timer and plug it in for at least 3 hours.

98 12V Quadcab SLT 4X4
Old 11-23-2005

Can also try NAPA part# 605-9170. Pullinforme supplied this info in another thread. That's where I got mine, think it was about $16.00. The "plug-in" for the heater is slightly to the rear of the oil filter, on the same side. There is a threaded cap that you remove. Line up the pins inside with the cord end and screw it in. I wasn't really able to see this, so did it by feel from the underside of the truck.
Old 11-24-2005

The new trucks don't come with heater cords anymore. 03 was the last year, tho they are an option now. The cold start has been improved starting with the 04 model year, it's good to go at -20 deg. and even more according to some around here. It's location is on the passenger side just a hair foward the oil filter on the block. You will see a black cap covering a brass looking fiting if I recall. It will be eaiser to remove the filter air tube to gain access.
04 Laramie (H) 2500 HO QC 4X4 48RE 3:73 LS Putco Boss Bars LineX AFE Stage II Silver Stars 956 Moto's high idle ROKK sensor FASS MagHytec Diffs & DD trans pan

The Second Amendment is only vague if:
1. You cannot read and comprehend the English language
2. Choose to selectively alter the meaning of "the people" from amendment to amendment
3. Have never read any of the writings of the Founders

Anything else is a willful effort to twist the meaning of the Constitution to fit an agenda, or profound stupidity."
Old 11-24-2005

Thank you all for the info. You guys are all great! Hope you all have a geat hoiday and I'm on my way to NAPA Friday to get my cord.

Thanks again!
Old 11-24-2005

I tried out the block-heater for the first time a few nights back. Got down to near zero and when I went to start the truck at 6:00, the glow plugs didn't even ask to be cycled.
Old 11-24-2005

OMG!
Old 11-24-2005

It's feaken zero outside, with a 40mph wind. Truck started just fine without a block heater. How great is that! I'm still suffering from cold start Ford-itus! No need to worry about my Cummins on a cold day!