Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > General Diesel Topics > Oil, Filters, Lubricants and Fuel Additives
Oil, Filters, Lubricants and Fuel Additives NEW! A forum to discuss your experiences, recommendations, and technical knowledge of diesel grade oils, lubricants, and fuel additives. Please, no FUEL questions in this section.

Old 08-22-2006

Default What is the best fuel additive lubricant ?

In your opinion, what is the best fuel additive lubricant to use: MMO, 30W non/det, 2 stroke/TCW-3 or do these 3rd gen need any lube at all? (Sorry about leaving out the 1st & 2nd gen) Or should 3rd gen use NO lubricant and just stay with PS, I may be wrong, but it does have some lube in it.
04.5, 2500, Flame Red "Dragon", 2/WD, 48RE, 4:10, Quadzilla Commander, Xzillaraider 2 XZT, Rokk timing sensor, Banks High Ram Intake, Mechanical Oil Pressure Gauge, Holly Black, Navigation Sym, Firestone Air Bag, Hellwig Sway Bar, Spray/Liner, Factory SRT-10 Hood, Mag-Hytec Diff. & Tran. Keystone Bullet, Honda EU2000iA
Old 08-22-2006

Default Re: What is the best fuel additive lubricant ?

If you really truly want to know what is the best lubricant, water dispersant etc for your truck then you need to send in a fuel sample from your local pumps. This will determine the properties of your fuel and what they are lacking.
The next step would be to figure out which additive provides what your local fuel is lacking.

Problem with additives is that from one refinery to the other you can and will have variences with the fuel quality itself. Some will lack cetane, others will lack lubricity, problem is they all will provide at least the min standard.

How their fuel quality is processed is the big differance between them. One person may use PS and get great results, while another person in the next State may use PS and see no results, or even a loss. The same can be said for LUCAS, MMO, SEA FOAM, DIESEL CATILYST etc.
If the cetane is already high in a fuel that you buy and you add a cetane then you will actually decrease the power, Over compensating...

To answer your question you can do a fuel sample, or just buy them all and see which one gives you the best results.
Old 08-22-2006

CTD: adding more Cetane will not decrease the fuel economy - the other stuff in the additive will do that for you.

European Cetane is a min. 55 while in NA it is a min. of 42. I add enough PS on long trips to bring it up to around 48 I figure. (Untested)
2012 3500 Laramie, LWB, Crew Cab, SRW, 4x4, 6.7L Oil Burner, 3:73 gears, Auto, S&B Air Intake, 35" Goodyear All Weather Tread, 2" Carrier Spring level kit with FOX Shocks, BD Adjustable Track Bar, Bright Source HID, Colour Match Canopy, VHF Radio and Cell Booster Cradle, AMP Bumper Step.
Old 08-22-2006

Lubricants you mention will be fine, some have a preference over others, you are just adding extra lube in the system. The PS is for cleaning and keeping clean your injectors, with some added cetane benefits. This is a subject that has many opinions and been discussed in depth. Bottom line is, use what you feel comfortable with knowing you have added protection..
04 Laramie (H) 2500 HO QC 4X4 48RE 3:73 LS Putco Boss Bars LineX AFE Stage II Silver Stars 956 Moto's high idle ROKK sensor FASS MagHytec Diffs & DD trans pan

The Second Amendment is only vague if:
1. You cannot read and comprehend the English language
2. Choose to selectively alter the meaning of "the people" from amendment to amendment
3. Have never read any of the writings of the Founders

Anything else is a willful effort to twist the meaning of the Constitution to fit an agenda, or profound stupidity."
Old 08-22-2006

The reason why I say cetane is that a few companys in NA actually use 45-48 cetane rating.
( would I really worry about it no). The difference can be noticed by adding to much Cetane enchancer and driving down the road. Notice how your fuel economy is effected.

As for the lubricant side of the coin, pick any of them and go with it. Trial and error.
Old 08-23-2006

CTD, Maybe I didn't word my question correctly. All I'm asking is everyone's opinion of the best fuel lube for the 3rd gen. Sorry if I mislead you, that I wanted to raise my cetane level.
04.5, 2500, Flame Red "Dragon", 2/WD, 48RE, 4:10, Quadzilla Commander, Xzillaraider 2 XZT, Rokk timing sensor, Banks High Ram Intake, Mechanical Oil Pressure Gauge, Holly Black, Navigation Sym, Firestone Air Bag, Hellwig Sway Bar, Spray/Liner, Factory SRT-10 Hood, Mag-Hytec Diff. & Tran. Keystone Bullet, Honda EU2000iA
Old 08-23-2006

I have for sometime used a mixture of 8oz Power Service/4oz Marvel Mystery Oil in each tank. PS comes in a white bottle for cold weather use and in a grey bottle for warmer weather.
03 2500 CTD Quad Cab 4dr, 6sp, 3:73 Gears,Edge EZ Chip,Stock Air Induction, 48000 Miles
Old 08-23-2006
Administrator

The additive i use does everything,lubes,cetane boost,water disspersant and cleaner.It works great for me and is made locally.It is called Super Diesel Plus from LubeCorp.Unfortunately they pretty much a western province market area.
Here is their website if you want to check them out http://www.lubecorp.com/index.php

sold
'96 2500SLT CC LB 2WD, KDP tabbed,100Hp Maxsticks,16* ,3k gsk,afc modded,#8 tst plate,62/70/13 turbo,4" MBRP exhaust,AFE stage III dry filter intake,autometer boost pyro, oil, tran temp,DSS,rebuilt diff & tranny w/billet triple lock TC w/lockup switch,1tn rear cylinders,ride rites on all 4 corners w/on board air,465k km. 330 hp 766 ft/lbs
Old 08-23-2006

Use any of the brands and switch between them to see which one works for you.
Personally I have used Howes, then PS and now I use neither. Truck sounds fine.

Good luck.
Old 09-10-2006

I have been using redline diesel fuel catalyst. It lubes, cleans injectors, disperses water and boosts cetane. I have run it from the first tank and have had great results.
2004.5,2500 4x4 600 cummins, 6spd,afe filter w/torque tube,373's,prodigy brake contlr, black windows, cab level shell, westin nerf bars, ROKK Tech cps, Line-X,Timbrens,2007 Weekend Warrior FSw3200 4 Quads,