Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 2nd Gen 12 VALVE DRIVETRAIN
Technical Info: 2nd Gen 12 VALVE DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of second generation (1994 - 1998) 12-valve engine and drivetrain questions, solutions and upgrades.

Old 01-28-2007

Default white smoke and 2000 RPM idle, 98 Ram 5.9 Cummings

I just swapped out the engine and it is blowing a huge amount of white smoke and idle is 2000 RPM. What would you suggust I look at? I still have the old engine for parts.

I could use my old fuel injectors but not sure how to remove them. I unhooked the rail and removed the keeper ring so far.
Old 01-28-2007

Send a message via Yahoo to Ursapater
Default Re: white smoke and 2000 RPM idle, 98 Ram 5.9 Cummings

Here's something that looks handy.

12v Injector Change.

Hope it helps!
2002 2500 ISB 245/505 NV5600 4x4 3.55's QC LWB: VP44 #2, FASS, AEM Bruteforce, Adjustable boost elbow, Edge Mileage Max, Boost, Pyro, Fuel PSI gauges on pillar, Line-X, DrawTite 18K Signature 5th wheel hitch - Van Aaken deleted
Other Truck: 2003 Freightliner Argossy 10 Wheeeler w/ 550/1850 kittycat
Old 01-28-2007

Where is the replacement engine from i.e. salvage yard, rebuild shop etc. Need more info; was it a 'sound' replacement to start with???

98 2500 12V Quad SLT Laramie SWB 350k, 4x4 A/T 3.54 DiamondEye 4" stock 'cept for 285's, ton'r brakes............"Palomino"

98 3500 12v Dually Quad SLT 4X4 A/T 185k 3.54 255x85's Magnaflow SS 4", Mag Hytec ...... GWC
Old 01-29-2007

More than likely, you've got a series of issues happening here.

Assuming this is a P7100 pumped engine, let's start with this:

1) Idle is probably just set too high, the adjustment screw is on the linkage where it connects to the pump
2) I suspect the overflow valve might be stuck too. Often you can just pull it out, stretch the spring a bit, and get some "borrowed" time on it until you can put in a new one. The OFV is located near the front of the pump, on the engine side of things. It is in a metal fuel return line with a banjo fitting on the end. Piece of cake to change
3) Check timing. Quite possible the timing has slipped; common on higher mileage P7100 pumps.
4) You did put DIESEL in the tank, right? [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img] Oh, and make dang sure you're not using "gas engine" injector cleaners or similar products with alcohol

Also:

1) Check all fuel fittings for air leaks / weepage. Common points to have air leaks are injection return lines, banjo fittings at fuel filter, and rubber lines where the fuel lines from the tank transition to the frame.
2) New filters I assume (if not change them out)
3) Check intercooler boots for leaks
4) CHECK THE KDP!
-2005 International 4300 240 HP Allison 2500
-2007 Durango 4x4
-2008 Harley FLHTC

Clownular Unit Alpha
Old 01-29-2007

Arlo, the engine is from a salvage yard. It only has 44,000 MI. I think the motor is all right. It sounds good, just seems like a fuel problem.

Von, thanks for all of the details, I did change the fuel filter and it helped on the white smoke a slightly. But, still has a real high idle, I will go through your list. I was thinking maybe it was the fuel injector pump, What is the KDP? The truck has been sitting for 2 years in May, Does the diesel fuel go bad? I had just paid for the injector pump to be rebuilt on the old engine before cylinder melt down. I could swap that out onto the new engine.
Old 01-29-2007

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KDA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the KDP? </div></div>

KDP INFO
Old 01-31-2007

Your in SLC and it is probably cold there, I dun'no if your garage is heated, if not & the grid heater isn't working, you'll get whiteish-blueish smoke, idleing at 2 grand means you probably haven't left it running long enough to 'warm-up' the modur to eliminate the white smoke if grid is inop, just a thought.

98 2500 12V Quad SLT Laramie SWB 350k, 4x4 A/T 3.54 DiamondEye 4" stock 'cept for 285's, ton'r brakes............"Palomino"

98 3500 12v Dually Quad SLT 4X4 A/T 185k 3.54 255x85's Magnaflow SS 4", Mag Hytec ...... GWC
Old 01-31-2007

With respect, I have yet to see a 12V that self idles at 2000rpm in cold weather [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img] If anything, they run at a low rpm when first started in cold weather (well, at least all the 12V up here in the frozen north do).

1) Yes, absolutely...diesel DOES go bad. Tends to collect water droplets and/or have a bacteria goop grow in it. Typically, one adds biocide to diesel fuel that will not be used for some time.

2) Use fresh fuel if you can. It will make a difference.

3) I don't have a pic of the idle screw stop, but you'll see it...just hunt around the linkage at the fuel pump.

4) Just curious. The white smoke...does it smell "sweet"? This is indicative of coolant being burned, but I doubt it's the problem. Even if it is, chances are it will be a head gasket or the oil cooler. Neither one is overly difficult. Check the oil for coolant traces, and check the coolant for oil traces.

5) The P7100 RARELY needs any adjustment. It is a super duper durable pump. That same pump has been used on Mack engines as well as older International diesels from the same era. Nickname is the million mile pump, and for good reason. In all my time here I think I could count on one thumb the number of times we've seen a P7100 failure.

So:

a) check the overflow valve first,
b) run fresh fuel/filters,
c) check the timing (which can also produce white smoke),
d) make sure the AFC boost lines are connected to the turbo,
e) check rubber fuel lines for ANY signs of weeping, especially the line transitioning from the frame to the engine block
then warm the engine up to operating temps. The smoke should entirely disappear once warm.

ps

the fuel pump on this engine. Please confirm it is an inline 6 pump with an AFC housing on the back and not a rotary pump.
-2005 International 4300 240 HP Allison 2500
-2007 Durango 4x4
-2008 Harley FLHTC

Clownular Unit Alpha
Old 01-31-2007

High idle is likely jammed linkage, such as installing a manual transmission engine into an automatic and having the transmission control valve cable pulling the linkage partially open. I would disconnect any mechanical linkage to the injection pump until you have it properly idling.

The P pump also can stick the governor rack in an open, or start position if it has been sitting with the throttle linkage jambed open. Sometimes it is necessary to pop the back cover and the AFC housing off and clean out the old oil and work the internal linkage until it frees. Then put it back together and fill it with a quarter cup of light oil before you reinstall the AFC housing, and try it again.

White smoke on an engine that set for two years is very likely. The rings on a Cummins will freeze to the pistons if they set for a long time. What happens is you will have low compression on one or more cylinders, and it will make tons of white smoke. The other common issue is stuck poppet valves in the injectors. They get sticky and the injectors will not create a decent pattern, and that creates white smoke from unburned fuel.

The stuck injector poppet problem is particularly common if one or more of the fuel lines, or the filter was disconnected and the lines left dry while the engine was stored.

Dose the fuel with a significant amount of Marvel Mystery Oil, about one gallon to three gallons of diesel, and then let the engine idle at 750-850 rpm until it comes to full operating temperature. Then shut it down and let it set for a couple of days as the penetrating oil works through the rust on the ring lands, and works the poppet valves in the injectors loose. Then start and let it warm completely, then run it at a high idle for about an hour at around 1,100 rpm. The rings will work loose and your white smoke should stop.

Do not set about changing injectors until after you have run treated fuel through the system, or you will be doomed to do it afterward and then may have to replace your new injectors. Be absolutely certain that your injector bleed off line is returning to the fuel filter, as one that sets for that length of time with empty fuel lines will pump rust out of those lines.

If the white smoke does not stop, then do a compression test and pay particular attention to #'s 4-6. It may have lost a piston cooling nozzle and burned out a piston, or may have blown a headgasket. It is possible someone could have turned up the idle to get it to run long enough to get it to a junk yard.

Whatever you do, never use ether to start the B series Cummins engine, or that will often blow a headgasket immediately, and always damages the top compression ring.
Any comments, suggestions, or instructions offered by me only apply to off-road and non-emission regulated use. Anytime I ever used or may use reference to highway performance, it is purely as an academic reference only.