Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 3rd Generation: NON-DRIVETRAIN
Technical Info: 3rd Generation: NON-DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of third generation (2003 - 2006) non drivetrain questions, solutions and upgrades. Please -- DO NOT post drivetrain discussions in this forum!

Old 03-09-2007

Default 2003 Dodge Cummins Air Conditioner vent control

I had seen a question on this subject a few years back, but I can not find it now. What may be causing the vents not to change from upper to lower and vis versa? I turn the knob and nothing happens. The AC or Heat vents are stuck or there is no vacuum to move them. Anyone know how to trouble shoot? Thanks
Old 03-09-2007
Super Moderator

Default Re: 2003 Dodge Cummins Air Conditioner vent control

We had something like this happen to our 03 Dodge 1500 at work a few years back. Took it in under warranty and found to be a blown fuse. I didn't believe that, but that is what was told.

The blower motor would either be on low or high...no in between. The controller wouldn't move from where it was set on either.

This probably doesn't help much, but it sounds like what happened to our company truck.

Welcome to the Forum and good luck!
Old 03-09-2007

.I had the same problem.They use servos?(Little elect.motors) to change the direction and the heat.My 03 was wrecked and glass from the side window had one of the servos stuck.I was told when that happens they all quit and stay in their last position.I started with the controler module hopeing that was it.I started tearing out the dash till I got down to the motors and there are alot more of them then I thought.I was tapping around the doors they operate and finally hit the right one and everything went to working.So maybe somthing fell down the defrosters and got trapped in one of the doors.You can see alot of them just by removing the glove box.
Hope this helps
good luck
3010 kawasaki Mule
ford 1600 diesel tractor
Old 03-10-2007

Thanks, I will check that out first.
Old 03-10-2007

Thanks, I seem to think this is closer to the problem, since it is stuck on the last setting I had it on during the winter.
Old 03-11-2007

Sorry to tell you this but what you describe is a broken defrost door. Many 02 1500 to early 03 2500 affected by this problem. Since your out of warranty it is up to you to pay or do it yourself. Solution is to pull back the entire dash to gain access to the hvac blend door.The technical service bulletin 24-04-03 discusses the problem and the proper repair procedure.

Here is the repair and parts list link
http://www.dodgeram.info/tsb/2003/24-004-03.htm
2003.5 2500 4x4 Reg Cab Long Box. 305/555 48Re 3.73 limited slip. Leer Cap,stainless grill guards&fender trim, Rhino liner,FASS 150/95,MBRP 4" Pro Series, Prodigy, Isspro EV Pyro,Boost,Trans,fuel Gauges. SMARTY, AFE StageII PG7.De-badged.
Old 03-12-2007

You are so right! I stuck my hand inside the vent door assembly and moved it where it would allow the AC to blow wide open. I think I will enjoy the cold in the summer this way and the heat in the winter as well. If the door will stay open? [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whistle.gif[/img]
Old 03-13-2007

Porkchop is right. It's a big problem in these trucks and it's pretty expensive to fix if your warranty is done.
04 2500 305/555HO SLT,QC,LB,48re,3:73s,Timberline Green/Silver,Leather, HE351 turbo,2nd gen intake,VA C3.2,BHAF,Custom4"Exhaust,Westachs,Timbrens,Bilste ins,Fumoto,Fogzilla,MOPAR DVD,MOPAR Running Boards...
Old 03-17-2007

Thanks, if the door keeps closing on me, I will have to fix it myself. It is staying open by me putting a piece of plastic tube up tight against it. [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laughing.gif[/img] Retired military & southern engineering at work. [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whistle.gif[/img]
Old 04-18-2007

I have the same problem with my 2004 ram. The dealer told me that the motor to the door is working but the door is broke. everything works ok but the air flow is being partially blocked by the door being stuck. where did you reach in to open the door all the way. The dealer told me that the extended (bumper to bumper lol!!!) warranty i bought covers the motor but not the door!