Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 3rd Generation: NON-DRIVETRAIN
Technical Info: 3rd Generation: NON-DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of third generation (2003 - 2006) non drivetrain questions, solutions and upgrades. Please -- DO NOT post drivetrain discussions in this forum!

Old 03-14-2007

Default How to check/fill dually air pressure

To All
Just purchased a new 07 5.9 dually. Iit appears that I need to remove the center caps/wheel covers to check and fill air in the rear duals. Is this correct? Thanks in advance.

HR Dennis
Old 03-14-2007

Default Re: How to check/fill dually air pressure

You can get some of these for the air valves. http://automotive-hardware.com/tire-supp...CFQgTWAodMEgMqA It is just a pita to get to those inner ones.
98 24v club cab dually. BHAF w/ homemade heat shield, 5" stacks, rebuilt trans w/ triple disk torque converter, headache rack, Nerf bars, 285/75/16 , farm hand bumper, 6" off road lights, Edge juice w/ attitude, 8X8 flatbed w/ underbody toolboxes, Dana 60 front, dana 80 rear w/ limited slip, 3.55 gears, 97 fuel filter housing. 228k miles, and still going strong.
Old 03-15-2007

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HR Dennis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To All
Just purchased a new 07 5.9 dually. Iit appears that I need to remove the center caps/wheel covers to check and fill air in the rear duals. Is this correct? Thanks in advance.

HR Dennis </div></div>

Hi asked the same question some time ago. Here is the link:

Inflating duallies

nod
Old 03-15-2007

Nod- I get denied access to your link.

HR Dennis, you can buy valve stem extenders at a lot of places, rv shops, most auto parts stores. Find the ones that you like and install, and its no issue.
Old 03-16-2007

Yes it is a PITA to check the inside tire air pressure.

If you do decide to go with valve stem extenders just be careful about where you drive as too much mud stuffed between the tires or to many rocks from driving fast off pavement can cause the extenders to break and the you have a flat.

When installing the extenders make sure you tighten them good as they also have a tendency to come loose and leak. The guys at my tire shop do not recommend them, but at the same time I know some people that have had really good luck with them.

Just don't buy the cheapest ones you can find- you get what you pay for!

Just my .02 worth.

P.S. I am the tire manager for a oil rig moving company and am in charge of keep approximately 1500tires rolling on a daily basis.
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Crewcab SRW 4x4, Silver, RamBox, Everything except DVD, Dick Cepek Fun Country LT285/70R17E Tires, Amp Research PowerSteps, Access Roll-up Box Cover and soon my Espar Heater with cellphone remote.

2009 Massey Ferguson GC2400 Tractor/Loader/Snowblower

2013 VW Touareg TDi, White, Full Load

2007 Haulmark 3329DS 45foot motorcoach on Freightliner Coronado, Detroit 515hp, Meritor 12sp auto shift, 10kw Onan generator, all the toys
Old 03-16-2007

Purchased some stainless steel extenders from Genos Garage - some where around 30$ a set.
I also got rid of the junk factory rubber valve stems as my right front popped standing still with 3000 miles on the truck - replaced all 7 with a steal valve. No problems no more.
Old 03-16-2007

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Big Kid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nod- I get denied access to your link.

HR Dennis, you can buy valve stem extenders at a lot of places, rv shops, most auto parts stores. Find the ones that you like and install, and its no issue. </div></div>

The link worked when I posted it and I just clicked it again and it worked. I guess it is just the wonderful world of computers!! Someone had posted a link to some really nice metal valve stem extensions but they were really expensive. Plus the tires had to be taken off the rim to get them installed. Perhaps when I hit the lotto I will go that route. They are nice!!

nod
Old 03-16-2007

Here is the link to the ones I thought were pretty smooth:

extensions

nod