Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 3rd Generation: DRIVETRAIN
Technical Info: 3rd Generation: DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of third generation (2003 - 2006) engine and drivetrain questions, solutions and upgrades.

Old 04-16-2007

Default Rear Main Seal Leak

I just took my truck to Jiffy Lube to get the oil changed because I could not get to the dealer. Interestingly, they are more expensive and thorough -- probably not saying much there.

It seems that I have a leak on my rear main seal. Called the dearler that has done all maintenance up till this oil change. He said they have not ever had one with that type of problem and will take it in next week. Has anyone else had this problem? Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated.

2005 QUAD 4x4 with 26K miles all stock. No hauling and mostly highway miles.

Thanks,
Robert
Old 04-16-2007
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to MAXTORQ Send a message via Skype™ to MAXTORQ
Default Re: Rear Main Seal Leak

I doubt seriously that the rear main seal is leaking. They just don't leak.

How big of a puddle is it leaving?

www.maxtorqdiesel.com
Old 04-17-2007

As Max said among some of the problems with the Cummins I don't think I have ever heard of the rear main seal leaking. Maybe the crankcase vent dripping down and looking like leak? Have you checked your oil level, if an injector is leaking maybe crankcase is full and coming out the overflow tube? Just randon thoughts from me....
Old 04-17-2007

I just replaced my flex plate on saturday with a DTT unit (beefy) We figured since we had the access and all, we'd replace the seal as well. The seal was provided under warranty. The flex plate was not. She was mangled right good! [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whistle.gif[/img]

Anyhoo...the seal was scratched all to hell, but didn't leak a drop...i'd say they're pretty hardy!

Gregger [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/CDNFlag.gif[/img]
04.5 3500 325/600 48RE, 3.73, silver, 4X4, 6 gun & S/L, Smarty, exhaust, BD 700R twins, No kitty, 100HP injectors, Banks I.C c/w High-ram, Gauges(Boost Tranny EGT Fuel) Water meth, Valve springs, Studs, Ride-rites c/w compressor, Boxliner, Sirius radio, 4 KC 130W lites, 10 disc MP3, Howes, FASS, Fumoto Valve, Full DTT, Mag-tec tranny pan, Reese 'signature series' 5th wheel and gooseneck, Beltronics STI Driver, Toolbox, Best damn tow-strap ever made!
Old 04-17-2007

If you think the seal is leaking take the plug out at the bottom of flywheel housing. If there is motor oil on it and you have no sign of oil above or around it it might be leaking. To confirm it is the problem take it to the car wash with the plug out motor running spray the soapy water in the hole, don't put it in to far or you will hit the ring gear. Do that for a while then wash the top back and sides using gunk citrus cleaner works great then, leave the plug out for a day or two to ensure it drys if it leaks then you've confirmed it. PLAY SAFE!
Old 04-17-2007

more then likely the valve cover is leaking, then running down the back side of the motor.
Old 04-17-2007

Thanks for all of all the responses. As I mentioned in my post, the guys as Jiffy Lube said it looks like a leak. It seems from the post that there are other explanations for the leak and I will need to have the dealer check it out. I am out of town and will not be able to get it to the dealer until next Tuesday.

Again, thanks for all of the feedback and I will provide an update when the dealer checks it out.
Old 04-19-2007

I just replace both front and rear seals on my o6 but I had 180,000 on it and had a flywhell that had started vibrating bad so I put at least some of the blame on that but it was the seals that were leaking and the rear was the worst it would leave a puddle if you left the truck idleing for 15 min in one spot. the front only had a small oil trail from it but while it was in did them both and not at the dealer..
Old 04-19-2007

Crap!!! 180,000 on a 06. WOW!!!