Home   Forums   Gallery   Vendors   Advertising   Links
Go Back   DieselRam.com > Diesel Ram Technical Topics > Technical Info: 2nd Gen NON-DRIVETRAIN
Technical Info: 2nd Gen NON-DRIVETRAIN Technical discussion of second generation (1994 - 2002) questions, solutions and upgrades. Please -- DO NOT post drivetrain discussions in this forum.

Old 06-13-2007

Default '96 2500 4X4 Front Brake Rotor replacement

Trying to replace my brake rotor on a '96 2500 4x4. It seems the entire wheel hub has to come apart. In my "Hanes" manual, the only reference made to doing this job on a '96, is to take the thing to a dealer. I have learned my lesson too well with the kind of joy I can get from taking my truck to them, so I am very reluctant. A dealer mechanic told me some time ago that taking apart the front hub on a '96 4x4 would be disasterous and I would never get the hub back together again properly. Again, I am sceptical but now two sources are saying it has to go to the dealer.

All I want to do is replace the rotor. Has anyone done this successfully? And how bad was the job?

Thank you for any help,
Sammy
Old 06-13-2007

Default Re: '96 2500 4X4 Front Brake Rotor replacement

I think you can buy the rotor and hub assembly as one piece and replace the whole thing....that's all the dealer is gonna do and then charge lots of labor on top of the expensive parts.
Old 06-13-2007

The rotors are replaceable separate from the hub. I read a few posts where some folks claim they took the rotor off without removing the hub, but as I recalled from doing mine last year - I don't see how it's possible.

1. Break lose axle nut (1 13/16" or something like that? 43mm?)
2. Jack up, support on jack stands, remove wheel/tire
3. Loosen 4 (13mm?) bolts behind the hub (since my hub was stuck on, I backed out the bolts maybe 1/2", stuck a socket and long extension between the bolt head and axle housing, and used the power steering to apply pressure - popped the hub lose easily) - remove bolts
4. Remove hub and rotor assembly (support the axle with a wood block under the u-joints)
5. Press or pound out the lug bots to separate the rotor from the hub (put the lug nuts on to protect the threads, or replace with new)
6. Install lugs thru new rotor and hub - press or pound back in (using the lug nuts and a stack of washers to pull the lugs tight)
7. Reinstall hub/rotor assembly
97 2500 4x4 ExtCab LB Auto; Isspro gauges (pyro, boost, tranny); 75hp Maxsticks, MaxTrans auto, KDP killed; BD DSS; 3rd gen 17" wheels; GM 1ton rear brake cylinders; Westin step bars; Extang tonneau cover (snaps and cold SUCK!). Pakbrake exhaust brake, TS Performance TC Lockup.
coming soon: fuel plate (sitting in the box waiting to install), AFC mod, 3K GSK; coming someday: exhaust, turbo (somebody say "evil twins"?)
Old 06-14-2007

Thanks alot guys! Greg your "powersteering press" procedure worked awesome. I all but destroyed my 3-prong gear puller trying to go from the front. Its lookin good now.

Thanks Again
Old 06-14-2007

not mine - found it on the net, but it does work slick, doesn't it? [img]/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img] glad it all worked out for you!
97 2500 4x4 ExtCab LB Auto; Isspro gauges (pyro, boost, tranny); 75hp Maxsticks, MaxTrans auto, KDP killed; BD DSS; 3rd gen 17" wheels; GM 1ton rear brake cylinders; Westin step bars; Extang tonneau cover (snaps and cold SUCK!). Pakbrake exhaust brake, TS Performance TC Lockup.
coming soon: fuel plate (sitting in the box waiting to install), AFC mod, 3K GSK; coming someday: exhaust, turbo (somebody say "evil twins"?)
Old 06-18-2007

Hey Greg or Anyone else, do you know the torque spec. for the axel shaft nut?
Old 06-18-2007

I think I read 240 ft.lbs. but don't know for sure ... I'll dig a bit

edit - only reference I found with a quick look said 175/237 ...